1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayak Fishing Teams - Ocean Kayak, Jacksons & Kaskazi Kayak Fishing Teams

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Jellyworm, Dec 23, 2013.

1. andym

andym Rockling

As said would be interested to know the numbers of applicants as would appear to be low

2. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Why Andy?

3. Groyne

Groyne Guest

Kayak fishing is an Extreme sport that is starting to go mainstream, so the manufacturers are starting to push their products, more advertising, sponsorship and teams.
    Up till now, the relatively few who take up the sport each year can get help and advice off the very experienced yakkers, quite often just by asking. My worry would be, that if there is an explosion in the number of people taking up the sport, is there the infrastructure, clubs/training etc, in place to accommodate them?
    Can you imagine the carnage, the North sea full of unfit forty somthings floating around without a clue. :eek:

4. andym

andym Rockling

Just seems they want quite a lot from you for what I can make out to be very little return so just wondering what kind of uptake the JK team offer generated just curious Ray

5. carpyken

carpyken New Member

So what teams we going to have nationally?

Ocean Kayak
    Kaskazi
    Jackson Kayak
    Hobie
    Stealth
    RTM

any others I've missed? :)

6. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Talking to a couple of lads who have fished for our national team and there's not a right lot in it for them really. I think they had to pay their own way. Their sponsors help them a little but that was about it.

7. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Team Pringle

Sponsored by Tom Tom

2 muppets from Scarborough, we'll destroy anyone, "once we pop we can't stop"

8. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Team Veterans ..

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Team Whitby Bass Club, Obviously by far the most important and the best.

10. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Team Southern Jessies
    Team ECKA
    Team Southern Softies

11. WillW

WillW Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Kayak Fishing Teams - Ocean Kayak, Jacksons & Kaskazi Kayak Fishing Teams

Team love reading about it, but like me never actually get around to doing anything about it!

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

12. Izzetafox

Izzetafox New Member

Why would it appear to be low Andy? Try asking Zoidberg ( Jan Liska ) on Anglers Afloat. He is JK's main man in Europe and was the guy who put the team together.

I think you will find there was quite a few who applied. Some of whom may well be approached at a later date.

Terry

I

13. andym

andym Rockling

Terry as said in earlier post don't want the post misconstrued as I think the team thing can only be good for the sport just thought it was strange to have two members in the same small village would lead me to think the applicant count could have been low

But certainly not having a dig at Sam or Mike as I class them both as friends and am glad to see them in the team just keeping the thread going and sparking debate no hidden agenda

14. merryfisher

merryfisher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Jellyworm, this was a good thread to start.

Groyne, I see you're point, but there's a lot of people now hitting the beaches ill equipped and ill informed. Perhaps not so many in the North Sea yet. I think if the manufacturer's teams can promote safe kayaking too it can only be a good thing. It could never replace the wealth of knowledge and experience contained within these forum pages but hopefully can compliment it.

15. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Here's another angle..........promotion of safety, pushing the sport forward etc etc.....but sponsored teams are about advertising for the manufacturers , not the common good, their products getting the exposure the teams will hopefully give them.

Nothing wrong with that and shrewd business sense of the pr guys to seize the opportunity early days.

But.......wouldn't it also be great to see kayak fishing clubs appear, not small offshoots of kayak clubs , driven by fishing enthusiasm not commercial interests. With the continuing explosion surely it is only a matter of time, maybe the manufacturers teams could be the drive for other teams and clubs to be developed. 8)

16. andym

andym Rockling

I'm in Dave what we calling it

17. Izzetafox

Izzetafox New Member

The problem with clubs is the costs of setup, admin, committee etc.

For instance as soon as your become a club you will need insurance. You need a team of committed individuals who will manage the club affairs.
    Perhaps you would need premises. You would definitely need qualified instructors/leaders for meets etc not quick or cheap.
    If you involve youngsters which you should you will need CRB etc
    You may also need club equipment for training newbies.

How do you finance this? Ah subscriptions of course. But before you have a club you need several of the above....who pays the insurance up front and the instructors courses etc?
    How much would you have to charge members to finance all this?

Of course once you are up and running you can apply for grants from the National Lottery, Sport England etc but you would have to jump through a few hoops first.

I guess all this is why currently to the best of my knowledge there is only one properly constructed kayak fishing club. South Wales Kayak Anglers. Those guys do a great job but not without one hell of a lot of time and effort.

It is possible but there are good reasons why SWKA stand alone at the minute.

Terry