1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayak Fishing Skarnsundet Fjordcentre Norway

Discussion in 'All Time Best Topics' started by merryfisher, May 9, 2014.

1. merryfisher

merryfisher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Skarnsundet Fjordcentre, Norway

Two members of the Ocean Kayak UK Fishing Team, Ian Pickering,Tanglefoot, and I Keith Ward, Merryfisher, teamed up with respected (old) kayak angler Jim Marsh, Marshy, for a spring trip to Skarnsundet Fjordcentre, Norway. Jim celebrated his 65th in style whilst we were there.

The centre is owned by Yorkshireman Phill Dale, he has become the local expert on both boat and shore fishing in the areas Fjords. He has been guiding for approx six years so we were in good hands. Phill was not experienced in Kayak fishing and to launch his new venture of fishing kayak hire with accomodation we teamed up for the first run.

Flights were booked with Norwegian.com airlines, they fly from Edinburgh, Manchester and Gatwick to Tronheim. Hand luggage allowance is 10kg and hold luggage 20kgs was an additional £20 return. Our flights cost about £120 Rtn in April. From the airport you walk approx 100mtrs down a ramp to the train station and get one of Norway's clean and efficient trains 45 mins to Rora. At the bottom of the ramp the train which runs every 45mins travels from left to right to get you there and costs (£13) 130 Krone, pay the conductor on the train.

Phill will collect you from Rora station and take you to the apartments. I don't recommend taxis as they are very expensive.

The apartments are fitted out to a very high standard, one thing I always appreciated on holiday is a good shower and ours didn't dissappoint. The apartments have two bedrooms each with two single beds. You could at a push have a 5th person sleep on the settee. They come with bedding and towels. The kitchen is well fitted out and has an oven and hob, microwave and kettle. I recommend you take your own sharp filleting knife if you intend dining on fish or bringing any back. There is a log burner in the lounge and wall heaters. Each apartment has a balcony overlooking the Fjord. A fish filleting station is on the dock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Phill opted for Ocean Kayak Trident 13s probable one of the best all round fishing kayaks ever made proven by it's popularity with novices and experts alike. They are a good stable dependable craft and appeared ideal for the rental market. Each comes fitted with a Humminbird 196ci colour fishfinder with GPS. They are supplied with Carlisle paddles and a PFD. There is also the option to hire rods and reels for a nominal fee.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The kayaks are stored on a new trailer which with Phill's VW transporter make getting about easy should the weather be really bad. Whilst we had fantastic weather and a launch straight from the centre was easy it's reasuring to know that there will always be some Fjord where you can escape should it be blowing.

[​IMG]

Tackle
    5000 to 7000 size reels are ideal, albeit you can go lighter and Ian and I used Revo sized multipliers loaded with 15 or 20lb briad. A heavy spinning rod in the 60 - 100g range covers most sport fishing. I managed with a 40g rod but to be honest slightly heavier would have been just as much fun and when two cod of about 6 or 7 lb took my plaice baits I certainly knew about it.

Terminal tackle
    All end tackle is available in Phill's shop and is reasonably priced so don't despair if you forget something. 3 x 40g 3 x 80g and 3 x 100g lead heads with good quality hooks should do you for 5 days. Shads of varying colours of 4" and 6" were the order of the day but do take a few spares as they get chewed up after a few fish. I used some rattle worms to great effect too so if you use these a couple of 2oz - 3oz plain weights are needed. The ground is not snaggy and you can expect minimal tackle loss. If you intend to fish for flatties or haddock take a few traces too. I missed out on the plaice but the lad on a boat nearby had one of about 4lb 8ozs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kayak kit
    We took drysuits, boots, radios, PLBs, knife/line cutters and cameras not forgetting chargers.

Food
    Norway is pricey for food. You can take 10kg with you so if you fancy bacon or cereal each morning pack some. I suggest you take some pasta and rice and some sauces to add to the fish that you cook. On the water we took sandwiches and cereal bars, we even had microwave popcorn one day, we were out for 9 hours one trip. There are chest freezers and fridges in each apartment. Bread and milk can be bought at the local supermarket. The only restriction on food going into Norway other than the 10kg weight is dog and cat food and potatoes. Many parties take rag worm with them and do not have any problems.
    You are allowed to take 15kg of fish back home with you. I just brought one large fillet frozen and stuffed down my drysuit leg in the hold luggae and it was still frozen when I got home, I live not far from Gatwick. Properly sealed and insulated I reckon it would travel far further. Beer, wine and spirits are expensive so grab it at duty free on your way in

Money
    Norwegian Krone, be careful at the exchange as there are other Krones. I felt a bit ripped off here and now realise even with the old commission free etc you do not get a good deal exchanging money over and back. I suggest take 1000 Krone (£100) max and use your card if you need to. We ate out at the local pub twice, I highly recommend the pizzas, and all in inc trains spent about 700 Krone and we didn't use our cards.

Fishing
    You have a choice and Phill will guide you to what you want, you could fish in 200m of water for the massive ling, coalfish and even sharks that inhabit the Fjords. Regular catches of |Halibut are made too. We decided on light fishing for cod, pollock and coalfish and enjoyed all day action with each of us catching into double figures weighing on average 6 to 9 lbs every day. Ian had a stonking cod of 20lb on his light tackle and lost what we bellieve was a huge halibut.

General
    The scenery is stunning, the launch and retrieve a doddle. The water temp was between 7' and 11' Our initial trepedation of this being extreme fishing near the Arctic circle soon dissapeared, the weather was great, the fishing was pleasant, the currents were easily managable, there was never a need to anchor and with the currenst timed right you can drift all day with little need to paddle. We saw porpoise, Orca were in the Fjord the week we arrived but we missed them. We also saw otters, fish eagles and mink too.

[​IMG]

Ill mention the bridge here, not because I'm a bridge spotter but to add some scale, the road is 45m high, the depth of the water just by the base of the pillers is about 50m. The pillers are 152m tall, the depth of the water under the bridge is 180m up to 220m. It's so deep the 5lb cod are only 20ft out. What a fantastic place.

[​IMG]

The rate for the accomodation tranfers and kayak hire is £60 per day. Call Phill if you fancy a combination holiday or family trip he is very approachable.

To book call Phill Dale on 0047 948 70 606 or contact him on phill.dale@hotmail.co.uk or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Skarnsundet-Fjordcenter/177298295612?fref=nf

Flights £120
    Accom and Kayak hire £60 per day (minimum of 2)
    Train, food and others bits £70

Any spare places on your trip please let me know. Cheers Keith

2. merryfisher

Here's one of Ian's videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfleyd0T3yQ#t=109

3. mystic girl

mystic girl Blenny

What an incredible place, great pictures and write up
    Regards
    John

4. merryfisher

Thanks John, here's a few extra pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Looks a really awesome place guys, and that Plaice looks really awesome too.

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

7. faithWRX

faithWRX Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

What a fantastic location brilliant scenery and some great fishing