1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayak Fishing Scarborough Marine Drive

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Myself and Mike decided on a trip to Scarborough marine drive yesterday. The Neap tides had got me thinking of where we could actually locate some tide to fish in as we have noticed from the past few outing that at least having some tide flow seems to be important for getting the fish on the feed. As the Marine Drive sticks out to sea some distance I felt that despite the neeps there would at least be some tidal flow.

[​IMG]

The trip over to Scarborough took all of 25 minutes and from the roadside park near Oasis cafe you can be on the water within minutes of arrival. We headed out and fished on the northern corner of the drive about 800 yards from the shore. There was 3 local boats uptiding the same area but they all dissapeard not long after we arrived - which was not a good sign.

[​IMG]

The first hour was dismal. No tide and no fish. However the weather was stunning with the sea like glass and real warm sunshine for the time of year. After an hour or so I noted we had a little tide flow as we pulled tight on the anchor rope for the first time. Not long after came my first fish, a nice cod of just over 2 pounds. Then Mike had several good bites in sucession but couldnt connect with the fish.

[​IMG]

Within the next few minutes the weather took a turn for the worst. A brisk north west wind blue up, it felt about 15 mph and certainly a lot stronger than the forecast 6 or 7 mph that all the forecasts had been given. I dont think we were in much danger as the wind would have blown us down towards the harbour, and assisted by tide we could have been safe in no time at all. But before the weather got worse we decided to head back to the oasis cafe. As We wound in for the last time I realised I had another fish laid on. This one just over 3 pounds. We then headed back to shore cutting across the north west breeze and a now choppy sea which was non too comfortable and made even worse by the superfast speed boat that blasted past us within 100 yards causing all sorts of disturbance in the water.

[​IMG]

We were back safely onshore by about 11.30 and as we looked out to sea it was clear we had made the right decision to come in. There was a lot of white tops on the water and the breeze was now gusting quote strong.

Jurassic Geoff (Mike 33) has some pics of the fish and hopefully he will post them up when he gets the time.

2. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

nice pictures glenn, it looks like your on glass, nice report

3. 09tindac

09tindac Could'nt catch a cold

dont suppose you were fishing about a mile off the headland, cause i saw some fishing there.

was wondering why i always see people fishing there, beause there have always been tonnes of boats, kayaks, and lobster pots

are there deep gullies or a wreck??

thanks
    Phil T

4. Baramundi Bob

Hi Mate. Maybe about 1000 yards off the coffee pot corner, certainly a good bit under a mile I would have said. Its just tidal fishing mate into about 40 foot of water. Not sure what lies underneath us, its just roughish ground. At this time of year a lot of fish will feed in the tide wating for passing food to come along. We just anchor up in the tide at a likely ambush place and draw them in (Well thats the theory)

5. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Good report and a good decision,shame about the dick head in the speed boat some people were just born stupid

6. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yeah nice report bob , just shows hopw the sea can suddenly turn so quick....

7. Baramundi Bob

Hi Dav,

You just wouldnt believe it mate. You can see in the pics with Mike that the sea was like a mirror. Then 5 minutes later it was not nice at all. Thankfully we got in in time and had the escape route of heading into Scarborough Harbour which quint had only suggested to us the day before. I think the wind would have blown us down there pretty fast had we wanted to go in that direction. I am pretty lucky in a way that I fish with Mike as he pays very close attention to the conditions and seems to know when its time to be off.

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

Its not nice at all glen , i keep getting flashbacks from our ordeal yesterday , really has put me off ....Just glad we stayed focused and didnt panick to much as if we did im sure we would of both been in the drink drifting by flamborough .....just glad it happened were we were........

9. Baramundi Bob

Offshore breezes are a nightmare Dav, me and Mike once got caught up in one at Kettleness. It took us 30 minutes from the ness end to the beach, again we could have blown with wind and tide to sandsend if we really needed to.

As Spawney Dave said, maybe you should try somewhere like scaling or even in the Esk to get familiar with the kayak and then get on the sea with a few of the lads. I am a bit concerned for some of the other lads too as Ive noted a few have missed out on tell tale signs of trouble and been wanting to launch in less than favourable conditions. Carry some binoculars and if there are any white tops on the water then stay on shore or at very least don't venture outside a shelter zone.

I know Ken has offered to join up with you and he has a lot of experience to offer you, he spent all day looking after me first time out and sacrificed his own day to make sure I was safe, and Im pretty sure all the other lads would happily have you along - safety in numbers until you feel more confident.

10. smokey

smokey Rockling

Glad to hear you all got back to shore safely :happy: This is the one big fear i have for you lads in the kayaks,there a lot of you who know very little about tides,wind and other factors.An experienced shore angler who knows the tides of his chosen marks very well,will find that once afloat away from the shore,it's a different ball game :yes: I've taken my own boats since i was 14 and am still learning now,what happened to you and Mike,Glenn, is a very common occurence,more often than not when the first of ebb/flood starts,the wind lifts and changes conditions literally in minutes,not such a problem if you are in a fast boat which gets you back quick,but in the wrong circumstances in a yak with the wrong person,glass flat seas can turn potentially life threatening within a 10 minute period.All i will say is,know when it's time to come home before it's too late,the same go's for launching,if you are in any doubt what so ever,don't do it,wait for another day,like Glenn mentioned,if there are any white horses on the wave tops,at best it will be shabby when you get there and not enjoyable... tight lines :wink: :happy:

11. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

I've said it before the best course would be the RYA day skipper course, at least this will cover all the above and basics such as navigation etc, I did this course before I bought my boat years back and it was invaluable, I have seen quite a few posts now on other forums that start alarm bells ringing, like one guy last year just couldn't work out why there wasn't a huge surf rolling in at Cayton due to the westerly wind, this is basic stuff, you could be able to handle a kayak easily with re-entries, paddle strokes etc but without this basic knowledge your an accident waiting to happen

12. mike33

mike33 New Member

Few pics from Saturday trip off marine drive as Glenn said the weather turn within a short amount of time although we were realatively safe we made the right decision to pack up and return to shore pity though the fish were starting to bite :sad: although I didn't connect with the bites I had, Glenn managed two fish and you can see from the pics the sea state between fish and that was only 10-15 mins!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fiish safe

Mike