1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KAYAK FISHING SAFETY - Safety Gear on a Yak

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Willy Nelson, Apr 10, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Willy Nelson

Willy Nelson I hate fishing with the Slug.

Where can I get advice on what safety equipment I should take out with me on my kayak? I wear a PFD and take a mobile phone but I have started wondering about flares, VHF radios etc. What does everybody else carry when they are out on their yaks? (I was reading this months TSF and scared myself sh*tless reading about the Berwick Kayaker).

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Re: Safety Gear on a Yak

I've just got a yak as well so I'm interested to know what else to take, once I have some more cash I'll be getting hold of some flares and I'd like to do the VHF Radio course.

What happened to the Berwick kayaker? (not sure if I want to know! :scare:)

3. dbrown

dbrown Guest

If you search for the things your looking for im sure there will of been topics about it in past.

4. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

Just make sure you buy the right flares. He didn't.

[​IMG]

5. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

is that you from your younger years Clive? :laugh: :cool:

6. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Clive....oh no not this great debate again.........I reckon you'll say "what is appropriate for the situation !"....lol....only joking does you know who view this forum ?

Willy from a debate on another forum you'll find some strong views on this subject and to be honest Clives thoughts (as above)i.m.h.o. are correct,however for a beginner how do they know what is appropriate to a situation...well a good rule of thumb is common sense.

The safest option is to go out in company if possible.

I ve got just about the complete range of kit I feel necessary for the area and distance off shore I fish.
    If I'm going out with a group then I will ensure that at least one of us has a radio but I won't necessarily call up the coastguard with any trip plans but at least one of us if not more have a radio for emergencies.Most of the lads I go out with ,including myself ,have been on the radio operators course as well.

I have a flare kit fastened to the yak in a waterproof tube that is easily accessible.I have the inshore flare kit ,I really wanted the mini-rocket flares but my local chandler didn't and wouldn't stock any.From the flare kit I have a single flare on the Pfd as well in case separated from the yak.

I usually have my mobile phone in a waterproof case but to be honest have found the coverage to be very poor at a lot of the places I fish whereas the radio has at least line of sight and if good enough to be out on the yak there are usually other craft nearby.
    If fishing in strong tides or offshore winds a drogue or anchor or both could help in the event of being pushed offshore by a tide and wind too strong to paddle against.

Others have mentioned knives firstaid kits spare clothes etc etc........I carry a fishing knife but no first aid kit....I don't have spare clothes normally but I wouldn t rule it out if going to paddle any great distance in case the weather turned and I had to beach the yak.

There are a few thoughts but the best guide as mentioned is commonsense as you don't want to bog yourself down with extra kit not needed but don't go out without what really could save your life either...ie...if there is a chance of the weather turning then take the anchor even if you couldn't paddle at least you could slow down or stop your drift so the emergency services can reach you.Alternatively if you are paddling close inshore working the gullies for bass with no wind and close to the launch site well your pfd , paddle leash and phone/radio might be all you need.

Hope that helps a little as I said the debates on other forums have ended up quite passionate but also a bit "do this do that " so some of this is down to careful well thought out judgement.

Cheers Jellyworm.

7. Willy Nelson

Willy Nelson I hate fishing with the Slug.

Thanks Jellyworm

Some good advice, appreciate your help

Cheers
    Willy

8. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

What did you pay out for your flare kits Jellyworm?

9. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I think the ful kit was about £40.00 to be honest I can't remember tho.

10. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

Nah Mr. Worm, Basic means just that - basic.

Wot you got is the soopa-doopa just in case kit. That guy who paddled out of Teeside and ended up in Panama took all sorts with him including an alibi and false passport, but he didn't have flares and a radio.

It all depends on how far out you are going, what weather you are going out in, whether you are alone or with others, blah, blah. The basic kit is a boat capable of getting you out and back, a PFD, suitable clothing and an anchor system i.e. a safe means of deploying and recovering the anchor, and a compass in case a fret catches you out so you don't paddle to Rotterdam instead of Whitby by mistake. That's basic enough for paddling out of Runswick or Bridlington Bay.

By the time you've tipped up, crawled back, found your waterproof radio and Rogered, Overed and Outed half a dozen shorebound onlookers with their mobiles will already have the lifeboat launched and on its way. :yes:

Of course if you intend drifting alone from, say Runswick down to Sandsend where you will be out of sight of nosey landlubbers then by all means carry a VHF radio, mobile phone or possibly in those remote locations a trained pigeon might be better 'cos flares won't do you any good and I'd doubt if the signal will be reliable under Kettleness or Goldsborough cliffs. :surprise:

11. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Why would flares be no good Clive ?

12. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Oh no don't start him off again on this one :wink: :wink: :happy: :canadian: ,all down to personal belief and confidence....better be prepared than wanting but not having....but each to their own the last time it went on for ever and as I said its commonsense and personal preference.......Clive likes the absoloute minimum approach ..... others adopt varying degrees of kit on top and wouldn't advise anyone to cutback on safety gear initially until they had gained experience and confidence in what they need.
    I personally wouldn't like to take the chance of someone else reporting me getting into difficulties , at least not someone on the cliff top , remember the advert "look maureen he's waving at us, oh he s gone for a swim now look"....lol

13. Baramundi Bob

:wink:

14. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

Flares are only any good if someone can see it go off. If you are tucked under Goldsborough cliffs there ain't going to be anybody there to see the red smoke except seagulls.

I admit to being a minimalist. But, I also know that I am not going out over the far horizon. That's for charter boats. My yakkin' is done within a mile of shore, usually within half a mile, and in good weather. If I were intending going out a couple of miles to the wrecks alone then of course I would upgrade my equipment to suit. But I'm not. So I don't.

p.s I forgot to add a knife to my suggested basic kit. Yak, PFD, suitable clothing, compass, anchor system and knife. That's enough to get you safely afloat off Brid', Runswick, Holderness or Scarborough as long as you plan the trip according to tide and weather.

p.p.s. Decathalon do flares at a reasonable price.

15. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Disagree Clive - was under Goldsborough cliff today and at least 4 potters would have seen a flare go off

16. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

As Newdave pointed out tho last time out....was nice to receive the weather warnign from the CG over the radio and allowed us plenty of time to get back to the launch site before the sea whipped up too much.

I'd add a paddle leash and consider a leash to keep you with your yak in the event of a tip off......noway would you be spotted if seperated from the yak....and even just off the shoreline the tide can soon drag you away from the yak.

I was carrying too much last year and have based my kit on a balance of what others use and what I feel comfortable taking out with me.

Willy...have a browse around the other yakking sites such as anglers afloat, etc and you'll get a good idea of what most consider to be a basic safety kit.

17. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Plus the space a flares kit takes up ...why not have a kit on the yak and a flare or mini flare on you........I remeber last year in perfect conditions the other yaks i was out with soon blend in to the point of being invisible at any distance over about 1/2 a mile at least from yak and small boat level...as i was pointing out another yak to one of the fishing boats and they couldn t see it.......a smoke flare would be easy to see ?

18. Baramundi Bob

Even in the dead of winter there are more hikers on the Cleveland way than you can shake a stick at, there will be more people walk along that cliff than will have been on Runswick beach today, plus as you say there are many potters work that area. Also I would bet you can get phone signal off Kettleness with the only dead spot being if you come inside Fillet tail. Ive never been up there in summer but would assume it to be even busier. You can physically see the phone mast at the Whitby town ground when fishing Kettleness fingers.

Once I get among the conger and big summer pollock I'll be telling you the place is alligator infested and if you go ashore to escape them then the black panther will have you for lunch.

Seconds thoughts I would advise noone to venture into this area :laugh: :laugh:. Its deadly

19. newdave

newdave Guest

too late BB :laugh:, but i don't what a conger in my yak :scare: , i have two flares tucked away based on the premise that i may never need them but they were only 17 quid, don't take up much room & who knows ?. I would say just go with people who have all the kit like us until you have worked out what you need & feel confident to go it alone.