1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KAYAK FISHING SAFETY - lesson's to be learnt..

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by GJW, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Re: lesson's to be learnt..

I have just spoken with the LOM at Redcar Lifeboat (the boss :embarrass:) and in the words of the helmsman in charge of the rescue yesterday the lads did very little wrong and were victims of circumstance with a little inexperience to compound matters.He stressed that in events like this never be afraid or too proud to ask for help as time can quite often be important,he would also like to thank the guys off the forum for their kind words on the rescue and hopes that this event does not put anyone off kayaking.I explained that several of the experienced yakkers on here are keen to help the new lads and that they often organised meets to act as tutors and add a bit of re-assurance for the new guys.Gary and Dav had the foresight to have someone ashore watching them,had all the right gear and had chosen a fairly safe spot so full marks from the RNLI on that and also to the person who gave them a call.I think with the growth in yakking it may be worth having another look at the safety issues that could arise,as Redcar has a relatively safe " harbour" at low water it may be the ideal location for a practise and I know the local Coastwatch will be only too willing to provide a watchful eye especially if you have a word before you launch.To Gary and Dav I say take in on the chin lads,I am sure you have both learned a valuable lesson,you didn't do a lot wrong and put it down to lack of experience.Climb back aboard your yaks and get back out and enjoy (but don't catch all them naffing bass :embarrass:)

2. CBass

CBass New Member

Re: KAYK FISHING SAFETY - lesson's to be learnt..

Might it be worth doing an RNLI training day for Yakkers and them. I know they like to do training with potential "users" of the service and a bit more knowledge for both parties certainly wouldn't hurt.

How about getting them along to the kayak training meet?

3. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

glad to see you and dav are ok when we go out in off shore winds we go under bempton close in so it just blows strait over the top of us
    cheers ian

4. CBass

CBass New Member

5. Dorado

Dorado New Member

Glad you came out of it OK Davo. As you already know, you have learned a great deal from the experience. The thing is, you probably don't realise just how much you learned....you need to go over it in your mind, a little bit at a time. I don't mean relive it...you are doing that. I mean dissect it, little by little:-
    The actual struggle you had in trying to turn the kayak round into the wind (I'll tell you a bit about that in a mo) which started the chain of events.
    The leash tangle which put you back in the water, already tired and cold...placement. The reason I use a short leash - it cannot happen.
    WHY you decided to let go of the kayak.....NEVER LEAVE THE BOAT WHATEVER BOAT YOU ARE ON. IT IS THE BIGGEST LIFEJACKET YOU HAVE WITH YOU. IT WILL KEEP YOU AFLOAT AND WILL BE MORE EASILY SEEN.

Then go over each part in turn again and think out "what could I have done differently?" "How could I have prevented that?" You will then learn from your experience more than just reflecting on it.

The suggestion about doing an exercise with the RNLI - it is already in hand and hopefully will be part of the SOT course, provided they can get there - so people can also learn WHAT THEY NEED TO DO TO HELP THEIR RESCUERS. You can actually do quite a bit to prepare for the rescue while they are getting to you, things to make life easier for them. Like de-rigging and taking your rods down and stowing them out of the way for starters. They will go through that on the day(s).

Somewhere I did write a piece about offshore winds and kayaks....and how bigger, wider kayaks don't turn into the wind very well at all. I also did a piece on how varying speeds of kayak are actually a safety aspect - faster (easier to paddle) kayak is a much safer kayak than a slower (more difficult to paddle) kayak. I will see if Glenn will put it in the safety section (somewhere THERE IS a safety section!)

Don't give up the kayaking though Davo - I am sure within an hour or so your struggles can be overcome with some technique - that is where EFFICIENT PADDLING technique wins over sheer brawn. I don't want to spoil the course, but I bet I can change the efficiency of how you paddle in 5 minutes.....

Kipper - read the first post again, carefully. You will then see that is exactly what the lads were doing for starters.....

6. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Sound advice Simon as normal. It was our Gary who got into a little bit of bother tho and Dav who was with him. :happy:

7. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Hi Simon

The safety section is in the right sidebar from any kayak related page on the site. Start here. Im always happy and willing to add anything else you like into that section

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/kayak-fishing-index.php

look in the right sidebar for safety links

[​IMG]

8. smokey

smokey Rockling

Bloody hell,i've only just seen this :scare: Glad to hear you both got back safely :yes: The very first instance you think to yourself "this could be dangerous" or if you fear your life is in danger,make the call instantly,an embarrassed man on the shore is better than a silly man floating face down in the water.You really shouldn't let it put you off,it will make you better seamen in the future :wink: :happy: Valuable lessons are learned when you have a bad incident,i have no doubt the both of you will be top yakkers in the future :wink: :happy: tight lines

9. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

if it dont float.... dont boat :cheesy:

10. Wildcard

Wildcard Hartlepool Marina - Simply The Best

There's an old saying;
    'A ship is safe in a harbour, but that's not what ships are for'

It is brave of you to admit your mistakes. A lesser man would have said he didn't need assistance and had the situation under control. :crazy:
    Good post.

11. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

with my absolute lack of anything to do with yakking, i skipped every post and put up a daft remark...

i have just read garry's post and foook me,

im just glad your allright gaz, you need to get yourself to the gym, dav might look like 9 stone ringing wet but he is a powerfull little lad, i was into cannoeing years ago and have paddled some very strong rappids, all over the country, you dont need to go mad, just big up your arms

12. Dav

Dav Rockling

If the reason for garys yak going over was because of water getting into the hull due to it being overturned in the choppy conditions it was never gona be able to get righted and be paddled in on its own . , In this situation would be ok to leash both yaks togather and use the strength of both paddlers to get in ,one paddle on one side and one on the other , before the yak went i actually pulled along side and held his yak while gary climbed on , would it of been a good idea to leash them together at that point and raft in with the aid of the paddles ,would it of been a good idea to do that ....and if so would there be no chance of either going over again .....

13. Dorado

Dorado New Member

From bassyken (or Skatey ken as he is now known!) It was our Gary who got into a little bit of bother tho and Dav who was with him. :happy:

Ooops - sorry lads, it was 3 pages earlier and the whisky had made my memory fade. :blindfold: Hope I am forgiven.

14. Dav

Dav Rockling

We will let you off simon ... :cheesy:.

15. Dorado

Dorado New Member

Davo. It is difficult to answer that question without knowing from first hand the state of the kayak and just how unstable it was. However you make a sensible suggestion. However,, instead of rafting to paddle in - which doubles the surface area and the windage and reduces the efficiency of the paddling......so you probably wouldnot have made progress.

A couple of possibles spring to mind in the situation. All from the comfort of the chair and with a whisky to hand - neither of which you had at the time.

1. Did you have an anchor with you?
    Dropping anchor would have prevented you being blown any further offshore and bought you time while you explored possibilities. The same is true of a drogue, deployed from the bow it holds you head to wind/sea and slows the rate of drift other than tidal drift, because you are presenting less surface area to the wind, you are riding the sea bow on so it is more stable and more comfortable and there is a big drag being caused slowing everything down. You can use these techniques rafted up, the anchor/drogue works as well for 2 as for 1 kayak......look how often the lads drop one anchor and then daisy chain themselves to fish off it. AN ANCHOR IS MUCH MORE THAN A TEMPORARY MOORING. IT IS A SAFETY DEVICE. IT IS YOUR HANDBRAKE. (Drogue similar but less so).

2. Raft up, you hold his kayak steady while he explores the amount of water in the kayak and tries to bail it (depending on the sea state - maybe not possible). If there is a LOT of water in the kayak it is possible to empty the kayak on the water. This willbe demonstrated on the course - and the rescuing kayak is in NO DANGER of being turned over when doing it - totally stable, heavy, but stable. I take it you had no hand pump with you. I always take one,not just for me, but for rescuing others too.

Instead of rafting to paddle back, an in-line tow is much more efficient. The fitter kayak at the front, this protects the less able kayak from some of the wind and provides a little extra power to get through the water. This also has a psychological boost to the casualty, provided they are in a fit state to actually paddle.

Rafting up is a very strong combination as far as stability goes- we will demonstrate just how strong a raft is on the course. Even just a two man raft. With three it is rock solid. If in doubt, or you have an injured casualty, rafting up on anchor so as to provide a comfortable, stable platform is a good move - call in a rescue on the VHF. While you are not going anywhere, not making any way through the water, you can take time to arrange things, whatever they might need to be.

There are other possibilites that you could have done. You are only judged on the end result - which was you both ended up back on the beach. So that is a good result. It doesn't matter that you had to call up reserves to effect that result. It is the result that counts, not how you got to it.

Have a look at the safety list for kit to carry....how much of it did you have. How much of what you had do you know how and when to use effectively? Knowledge of how and when to use it is as important as the kit itself.

rambling now.

16. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yeah thanks simon. to be honest , with the sea state i wouldnt of like to try and empty his yak out of water , to be honest i wouldnt of dared take off his hatch cover , im not sure if it was the main reason for it being unstable ,i just know when the rnli brough it back to shore it had quite alot of water in it , was it the factor which caused it , i dont know . we didnt have an anchor or a drouge . if the second yak ever does float away , how unstable would it be for a second yakker to mount your own yak when afloat this is somthing i really wanted to do but felt it could end in a double dunking , but the water was cold and if the rnli didnt come when they did i would of asked him to maybe try and get in . would this of been a bad thing to do ......Thanks for the advise and appreciate everyones concerns and advise .....Thanks everyone ...most of all the R.N.L.I and the coast guard .......

17. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

pleased you guys made it back in unharmed as such,happens pretty fast dont it
    oops jst been scrolling back thru some of the posts an noticed it'd been posted already :embarrass:

18. Dav

Dav Rockling

Thats ok phil . nowt wrong with havin a few bevvies... :cheesy:

19. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

every time i read this (and i have done many times) it realy upsets me ,i am not a whimp by any means ,it is the thouht of garry in the sea and at it's mercy,is it all worth that :sad: even now wrighting this i am filling up with emotions that i have not felt for a long long time ,this life is not a practice run ,it is our one and only go at it so please all take care when you are on the sea ,sorry to go on a bit but this has realy got to me :sad:

20. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

ahem! lol hope it aint put you and gary off has it??