1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KAYAK FISHING SAFETY - lesson's to be learnt..

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by GJW, Mar 22, 2009.

1. cleeclive

cleeclive Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: lesson's to be learnt..

Pleased to hear you are OK guys. There is many a time I have run out in a boat before a tail wind, turned around and thought Oh Whoops! I should not really be here and had a bumpy ride home. I have had it a couple of times in the Humber in the Kayak and paddling a mile into a head wind is damned hard work. If you have been dunked even harder. Never leave your Kayak, that is a good visible target, you on your own are very hard to see, but at least in this case you were with another Kayak.

Don't be put off by this just learn from it and be more cautious, but I guess you have done that already

Pleased you are OK, pretty cold in there though at this time of year

Cheers

Clive

2. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Only just logged on .....pleased you are both ok after today............a baptism of fire there lads ,but thankfully everyone ok.
    Took Kim down to the sea for her maiden voyage yesterday but the wind had swung northerly so we opted for a paddle on a river to at least get her afloat.
    At least you'll know next Gary...again pleased you are both ok.....good luck for the yakking season.

3. baza

baza New Member

glad to hear your both ok

4. andyp

andyp New Member

Glad your both ok lads,found out about it before logging on here as one of your rescuers is my workmate and he rang to tell about it.What he did say was is dont be affraid or embarassed about calling them out as thats what they are there for.Leave it to long and you might not get that chance.
    Regards
    andy.

5. Davo

Davo Rockling

I'm glad you are ok Gary, and hope to see you in the coming months, yakking :yes:
    It's a shame you didnt pick the Bran Sands to try out your yak, rather than the Basin, as it would have been a lot safer in that wind. It's an excellent place to try a yak out. :yes:

6. Davo

Davo Rockling

Wise words Andy. Bytheway, hows your hangover?

7. sarge

sarge Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Glad ur ok.U can read about rescue here. http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-breaking-news/2009/03/22/middlesbrough-man-s-first-canoe-trip-ends-in-sea-rescue-84229-23207033/

8. andyp

andyp New Member

9. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

When I got my yak it seemed to blow and blow for weeks on end and I must admit that the frustration got the better of me in the end and I probably went out in seas I shouldn't have done. With a bit more experience I,m pretty sure you would have given it a miss Gary so put it down to experience and don't beat yourself up about it. I put the same question to the chap at Whitby when we took our VHF course about when to call the RNLI, with the same statments of I wouldn,t want to be a burden etc and he told me in no uncertain terms never to hesitate when needs be. Just like driving a car, don't be put off early on, I,m pleased you are ok and thanks for sharing your experience with us as I,m sure it will benefit others.

10. Davo

Davo Rockling

Well, i wont be buying The Gazette tomorrow, just to make sure our lass doesn't see it :whistle:

Thanks for the warning Sarge :yes:

11. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

take it by that you have not told your lass??

12. Davo

Davo Rockling

Spot on Ducky, no i havn't. I havn't mentioned the poor souls who drowned on Loch Awe, but she'll most probably find out, as we are supposed to be going there in Septemeber. If we do, i bet she wont want me to take the yak.

13. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

GJW & Davo, so glad you`re both safe and well. You have gained experience that most yak fishermen only ever hear about, you have had one of the hard lessons in kayaking, now you`ve got that experience under your belts you can look forward to a safer future, you actually know what happens when things go wrong and now you know what the first thing to do is. There`s no need to think about giving up lads, just use your best bit of safety kit (your brain) before you launch and keep it in gear while you`re out. Don`t pack in because of a bad day even though it`s your first, look to the great days to come. Keep yakin.

cheers.

14. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Oh Gary you poor bugger - but in 6 months time you'll be an experienced yakker and we'll laugh about this. Dont let it bother you, you've learnt from it mate, off shore winds - very nasty. We were going to launch today in Loch Etive but the launch site was up-wind of the fishing mark, we could have got to it no problem but I wasn't sure if we could get back - especially if it picked up more....we didnt launch.

Next settled weather give us a shout and we'll go out mate :happy:

15. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

bl***y hell mate you have certainly put the willie's up me with that experience,reading that makes me think i allmost lost a good mate , :hurt: i bet alan was sh****g it when he saw what was going on ,i am realy glad you are safe and well, Now i know i will defo be staying on terra firma now, :cry: if you get your confidence back and decide to do it again please go out with the experienced yakers like glen ,spawny , and ken :yes: hope your mum wasnt terrified by the story mate ,she's bound to find out if it is in the gazette :confused: once agaian glad you and dav ok tight lines HARRY

16. bucko

bucko New Member

Just glad to hear your OK Gary- sounds terrifying.

17. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

It took balls to write this report and it takes a big man to admit he was wrong.You have learnt a valuable lesson which could so easily have been youre last,but you will be a much wiser yakker from now on.
    Thank god you are both ok and all praise to the RNLI the most underestimated and unsung emergency service in the world.

18. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Obviously glad your both ok, and thanks for sharing it with us, all the previous statements are correct about the learning curve, in time you will improve no end, but I'm sure you'll both make your own decisions - them land winds are the worse of all, we have all heard of inflatable being blown out to sea, it looks fine with the swell behind you then once you turn in to face them it becomes another animal, also as you are aware the winds can funnel in certain areas around headlands, drastically increasing their strength - again big well done to the RLNI boys

19. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

i would also like to say a big thankyou to the RNLI who did a great job and also davs part in the proceedings believe me he played a blinder , it only goes
    to show how easily things can turn nasty

20. kipper

kipper New Member

would it be advisable to do some training on inshore waters, where you can on purpose, roll your yak and get confience that way before taking to the sea?