1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KAYAK FISHING SAFETY - lesson's to be learnt..

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by GJW, Mar 22, 2009.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

Well today me and Dav decided to take the Kayak's for a little paddle and a splash about and that i certainly did..... :embarrass: :embarrass: after me not being able to make it to last weekends meet up with Matty and the rest of them at runswick we couldn't wait to get in and have a go, but maybe that was our BIG mistake, the wind was a bit strong so we looked for a sheltered spot we decided to try inside the Gare basin as it would be flat with a land wind.
    When we arrived we noticed the wind was a bit strong and we wondered what effect that would have on our yak's and what it would be like paddling into it, we hummed and arghhed for a while and thought lets give it a go we will only stay close to the shore and what could possibly go wrong... Bad decision.. :yes:

Al came down to keep an eye over us and take a few pic's..
    Well it all started pretty well we were having a good time close to the shore and tried a bit of self rescue and every thing was going well, then as i grew in confidence i headed a bit further out and thats when it all turned nasty the wind really picked up in strength and i was finding it hard to get my yak turned round into the wind to head back to shore and i got dunked... :scare: :scare: :surprise: i managed to compose myself and flip the yak over and get back on but all the time i could feel myself drifting further off shore as i got back on i was trying to sort myself out as i had got my paddle leash tangled round myself as i was sorting it i tipped out again all the time the wind was pushing me further off, thats when i made the worst decision im not embarrassed to say i panicked and i probably wasn't thinking straight i decided to let the yak go... :surprise: :surprise: Dav was close by so he came over and i held onto the front of his yak as he tried to paddle back to the shore into the strengthening head wind it was was hard work but he was making slow progress but by now i had been in the water and about 25mins and Dav's arm's were tiring but the we were steadily winning the battle, someone must of seen the over turned yak and called the RNLI which came in two inshore inflatables a lifted me aboard, and Dav then paddled to shore under his own steam..
    I am really glad someone phoned the coast guard, but at what point do you make that decision for yourself we were trying to get back to shore without making that call you never want to make, although me minus my yak.. :embarrass: it had the best possible outcome, i got dropped back on the beach and the inshore lifeboat went back out and retrieved my yak for me.. :happy: :happy: so i will be making another donation to the RNLI as they are top lads and dont need calling out on a sunday afternoon through the likes of me to egar and couldn't wait and didn't want to waste the chance to get afloat..
    So it just goes to show that things can suddenly change from everything going smoothly to almost a disaster within seconds, someone made the call for me which i am glad of, but at what point do you make that call yourself ????????

I hold my hands up and i was to blame, i should never had ventured that bit further out and i am sorry to everyone involved, i just hope that other newbie yakkers have more sense than me and learn from my mistake..

I really have to sit and have a good think if this Kayak fishing is really is for me.. :confused:

2. langy

langy Rockling

Re: lesson's to be learnt..

Well done to the RNLi and glad everything turned out ok could have been a disaster :(

Glad you got your yak back......:D

3. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

just glad you are ok Gary, at least you are safe and you are right you will have learned a lot of lessons from that.

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Bit of a nightmare for you both lads :scare: Like you say Gary things can change so quickly out there from happy as larry to nightmare situation. It's to be expected to be so eager to get out yakkin and make some unwise decisions, I was just the same when I first started. Basically though if in doubt don't go out, you found that out the hard way today.
    It is a worry with this surge of new yakkers this year that we will hear more scare stories, it is dangerous out there but with the correct gear it is very much a controlled risk. It will of been a scary experience for you today Gary and I'm pleased you've posted it on here, please though do not be put off by the experience. Learn from your mistakes and let it build your confidence, just never get complacent. I've had one or two 'moments' whilst yakking but it means I'm better prepared for the next time. I've only been kayak fishing for 12 months though so no expert, you never stop learning.
    The kayak safety course next month will be fantastic though, will be a big help to us all.

Well done to the RNLI, great work guys :cool:

5. gforce

gforce Blenny

an old boy once said, its better to be on shore wishing you were out then offshore wishing you wern,t

6. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

glad you both lived to tell the tale mate..just a good job someone was watching you..i know what you mean,its a tough call calling the RLNI,but thats what they're there for..to save lives..and thankfully,they saved yours..i was walking down brid prom today,thinking what a nasty offshore wind it was,and joked to my mum about falling asleep on a airbed and waking up in holland..no laughing matter i know,but once its got you,a paddle wont get you back..hope this stays at top of page for a good while,we all need to read your story..all the best bud.

7. newdave

newdave Guest

Glad it all ended well Gary, Hope the exsperience will prove to be a positive think in the long run & does not put you off. I still remember the look of terror on Glenns face on his first trip, he survived that and now loves it. I for one will be only too pleased to have a paddle with you when i get home, the SOT course will also be a great benifit. have you though about enclosed water for a bit of practise, what about scaling dam ?

8. speno

speno Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Bloody hell gary thats some first trip out just glad you got back in safe and sound.Hope its not going to put you off yaking things can only get better after that i hope.Should try and get out with me and anth the more there is of us the better i think then if something goes wrong theres more help at hand.As we are all new to this i think there will be a lot more lessons to learn. :happy:

9. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

good idea that like....If its just a paddle your off for then get out on either a river or a lake, I really enjoyed getting to grips with my kayak on the esk and intend on a couple more trips down there before hitting the sea...with it being tidal it also gives an excercise in paddling against/with the tide depending on which direction you paddle
    glad you made it back in one peice and im sure you will be much the wiser for it.
    thank god for the RNLI :yes:

10. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

pleased your both ok and thank god someone was watching.....one tragic story about anglers is enough...thankfully the RNLI were at hand for you.....just out of curiosity were you on the north gare or south gare....stay safe and like you say there are lessons to be learnt....for all of us

11. PNGWIN

PNGWIN New Member

glad to hear you are OK GJW, well done to the RNLI. A red face is better than the alternative. Get back on your yak :yes: :yes: :yes:

12. robq

robq Rockling

Sorry to hear that your 1st experience was a bad one Gary :surprise:

Don,t give up on it but just look at it as a valuable lesson !! A few lads who shall remain nameless have had "incidents" in their early days :whistle: :whistle:

Just try and take the positives and get out it ASAP for a play :yes:

Rob

13. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

You ask a good question there Gary. At what point should you call for help ?

14. PNGWIN

PNGWIN New Member

when you get in too trouble. or the first sings of.

15. Dav

Dav Rockling

Thats the trouble , you think you have the situation under control,, so you say to yourself i dont want to bother anyone.... :no: bad mistake tho , i bet thousands have made the very same descision. Real shock to the system today like , Infact its shocked me that much having second thoughts, a descision i will make for me self i think . Thank god for the R.N.L.I heroes them lads.......

16. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

glad to hear your both fine :yes:, no one is perfect and everyone does things they should not have done,

And everyone thats why i am doing the jump for the RNLI a 160ft bunggee jump, so if you have not sponsered me pleases get your hands in your pockets, even if everyone put £2 in we would be giving a nice amount, also closes to the end of summer i think i may do something else to raise money for the RNLI. even dafter.

john.

www.justgiving/johnduck

17. robq

robq Rockling

I know that this has been discussed previously and there differing opinons

When I go out on the yak I leash myself to it so that if I end up in the water then I cannot become seperated from it. I use approx 5ft of 6mm bungee cord with a small caribiner at each end.

I feel that this essential when fishing at anchor in tide where it would be impossible to swim back to the yak :death:

Obviously it it not safe to be attatched whilst launching or landing in any sort of swell so I wait util I am a little way off before clipping on. When surfing we always wear a leash as the board is your lifeline and to become sepearted from it would be bad !!

I think the consequences of being seperated from the yak would be a lot greater than from my surfboard, particularly as we fish a fair way off at times

Rob

18. CBass

CBass New Member

It's probably the worst time to make a rational decision, when you are cold tired and scared. The reality is that you really do think you have it in hand and can sort it. I have only been involved in one proper epic at sea and thankfully there were enough people to sort it. If there are two of you and you can't self rescue then it's time to call for help.

Training as Spawney says is the way, practice this sort of thing before you need to!

19. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I think the safety day could be good for us all as Simon is getting the RNLI involved. The message Ive always had from friends on the lifeboat is to call them out even if you think you might be ok - they might take the p out you later but at least you will be ok. They would rather come and support you back to shore than pick you out the water an hour later.

20. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

well said glen..better to lose your pride than your life