1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayak Fishing - Raising the profile.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Hi Guys i've been on a bit of a link building mission to try raise the profile of our site as somewhere for kayak anglers to post. I wont go into all the details as link building would probably bore the life out of most of you but I have had a couple of replies already and they sound quite interesting.

I've had an email from Terry Jackson of the North Wales Kayak Anglers and they would like to know if you kayakers here would like to arrange a meet to fish Whitby or another of the areas Yakking venues with the members of the Welsh Kayak fishing forum. Maybe this is something you could also put to Voulsuions forum ?

Secondly I have also been in touch with a guy in spain who originates from this area, as well as linking to us from his website he has requested any relevant information on kayak fishing for inclusion in a newspaper and Magazine he is a reporter for over in spain. Again this would bring in publicity for our site.

I would be keen to get the views of our kayaking members on this offer ? Would it be ok for me to let this guy use some info from your posts and perhaps a picture or 2 ?

It would be doing the forum publicity a big favour ?

Look forward to your replies - Glenn

2. robq

robq Rockling

fine by me Glenn ;D

I have no objections to using any of my pics or material. The more info that is out there the better I think. The help, advice and info that I have found on the various forums have been a godsend for me and countless others I should imagine.

Rob

3. TimO

TimO New Member

Hi Guys, I'm from the North Wales Kayak Fishing forum and am really impressed with your setup. Think i'll be spending a few evenings reading some great posts from your members.

Cheers

Tim

4. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

No probs Glenn. If we could just get some settled weather I,ll get some pics and put some info with it, as well as loads of fish ;D maybe

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Cheers Ray

6. Volusian

Volusian New Member

Thanks for pushing our sport Glenn .... very good of you. We should be up your way again soon and some of you lads can meet up with us and have a go on our fitted kayaks.... :)

thanks
    keith
    www.kayakfishing.co.uk

7. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

no problem with anything of mine - would not mind a meet with the welsh lads, they have been kayaking a while around there would not mind some advice on kayak tope fishing - maybe a match? 2 legs home and away? could be based on species caught? anyway food for thought

8. fudge

fudge New Member

Hi, I have just joined you're fishing forum, and although I have been fishing the east coast for as long as I can remember, I decided to buy myself a kayak and have a go, I have bought a Prowler Big Game, I have been out once for a quick trial and I really enjoyed myself so now if you fella's don't mind I would like to pick you're brains to get myself kitted out ready for my first fishing trip. I want to buy a G.P.S & fishfinder, I have heard that the Eagle Cuda 168 and the Garmin 60 hand held marine package are good ones or am I better off buying a combined unit, any opinions or suggestions?.
    I would also like any tips about where to launch between Brid. & Whitby. I would really appreciate any tips on getting the bloody thing on & off the car safely without damaging self, kayak or car!!.(If you are reading this Bella no wisecracks or slava!).
    Cheers Fudge.

9. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Hi there fudge ;D. You'll find lots of advice on here re the yakking if you dig back through the threads using the search.
    In short both the fish finder and gps are used by a couple of the lads on here with no problems....well nearly no problems.!
    Quint uses an Eagle cuda sounder and when he paddles within 20 yds of my yak his sounder will not register the depth correctly.
    I use a Lowrance M52i which is a combined fish finder gps combo and I ve had no problems with it all , once I got the transducer secured correctly that is.
    I suppose it will be down to personal preferancein the end, I know of guys on here who use Garmin,Lowarnce,Humminbird and Eagle cuda (the eagle cude 168 is a cheaper version made by Lowrance anyway).
    From chatting to some of the guys I kn ow of one who has had serious problems with his Humminbird unit failing and another whos Humminbird suffers steaming up of the display .
    The only problem i see with having a seperate handheld gps is it is another item to fix to the yak or there is the risk you will drop it or you ll be forever fumbling in pockets for it , which when you are out in a choppy sea isn't ideal.
    Have a look at this link.

http://www.bluev.co.uk/lowrance-m52i-gpssounder-69-p.asp

Not a good pick but shows where mounted to the yak (prowler p13)
    [​IMG]

As for the car topping, I think we all found it a little bit of a struggle to start with but you ll be surprised once you ve hoisted it on and off a few times you find the best balance points and it goes on easily.I know of one chap on here who uses a an old rug that he lays on the rear roof bar drapping down towards the rear windscreen, then he just lifts the front of the yak up onto the rear bar so the stern is still on the floor then he just lifts the stern and pushes the yak up onto the car it slides on the rug protecting both yak and car. Then just flip the yak over so it's upside down once on the car. Personally I find just lifting it up with the grab handles up sideways on and the gently lower, it really does seem to get easier after a while they balance themselves once you ve learnt where to pick them up.Mind you I still don't enjoy having to carry it any distance,as in some of the places quint like s to launch from !!!

Launch sites between Brid and Whitby.....pheeew !!!! well there are all the usual access points from Brid bay then Sth Landing, Nth Landing.Then next would be Reighton (about an hours paddle to Bempton, but a very steep path down and it seems steeper back up !!) Filey choices of the country park or at the foot of the ravine/cobble landing.
    Various launch sites at Scarborough from Cayton,Cornelian,Holbeck Sth bay,Nth BAY,Scalby Mills.After Scarb there are some of the rock marks that have difficult but 'do-able'access but would require a strong pair of shoulders to get down !! Nearer Whitby there is an easy launch from Boggle Hole and Robinhoods Bay.Then at Whitby the beach at the nth side would be an easy launch.
    Where are you based fudge ? drop a pm if you want a natter about rigging the yak or anyother yakking bits and bobs, the lads on here got me going this year and are a very helpful bunch...great pi*s takers as well...lol ;D ;D

Cheers Jellyworm

10. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Welcome to the site Fudge ;D the worm has covered most things, he's also an expert at at getting back onto the yak once your in the drink :eek: (no p*** takers on here) - it's all about expierence and you'll soon get the hang of handling your yak both on the sea and dry land - there's a few of us having a go tomorrow at Flamboro, if you want to come along you'll see how we get along, you could also bring your kayak for a go, if you pm me I'll let you know the time in the morning, failing that just shout if you need anything ;D

Cheers Quint

11. fudge

fudge New Member

Hi, I would like to thank both Jellyworm and Quint for you're replies, very helpfull I am going to go for the Lowrence m52i. Where have you fitted the transducer? and what have you used to secure equipment to yak?. I am off down to Flamboro now to have a nosey around might see you there. I am from Hull but I know loads of east coast anglers if you want to know anything about me just ask Bella.
    cheers Fudge
    p.s. really enjoyed the jokes!

12. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Just ask Bella....do explain ?

Anyway, the transducer for the M52i is quite easy to fit this is how I fitted the unit and transducer to the P 13.
    First I decided where the head unit was going to be situated and I then marked around the base plate and marked the four holes to be drilled to fasten the base plate to the yak. Next in the centre of the area I had just marked I drilled a 12mm hole, so that I could fit a waterproof screw fit electrical gland from Maplins that the Transducer and power cables pss from the inside of the hull to the outside.(I had to use a round file to actually get the right fit for the gland but 12 mm gets it somewhere close, you need the larger of the two sizes that Maplins sell)Placing the gland in that position means that the base plate and the wires are situated under the head unit out of sight and enable you to seal the base plate ensuring no water ingress to the hull.
    You have to pass the cables through from the inside of the hull up and out and set the cables to the correct length before securing,obviously placing the securing nut for the gland over the cables insdide the hull first,and then use some Dow and Corning sealant (from the ships chandlers) on the glands matuing faces with the hull to ensure a good seal.Tighten the gland and then position the cables out through the correct cut out in the base plate.You then need to squidge some sealant into the centre of the gland to make it completely watertight as the two cables in the one gland won't allow the rubber alone to seal it.
    Then seal around the face of the base plate before using 5mm stainless round head bolts to secure the baseplate again sealant on the bolts tighten down and then seal the remaining spare cut outs in the base plate, Wipe the excess off so it s neat and tidy and then leave for 24 hours for the sealant to go off.
    To fit the transducer you need to use some course grade glass paper on the inside of the hull in the desired location. you need to choose a spot that is as flat as possible in the centre of the hull, I decided on a position just in front of the front cupholder moulding so that it is easily reached through the front hatch but far enough back to not get bashed by stuff you store in the hull.Clean the sanded area well so free from dust and grease, also give the bottom face of the transducer unit a good sanding as well.
    Next use some sikaflex marine adhesive and use a generous amount on the mating face ove the transducer,then squidge it down onto the hull in the desired position ensuring you squeeze alll the air bubbles out or they will effect the signal.then place a heavy weight on top and leave for another 24 hours to go off. (don't rush this stage or you'll only end up having to do it properly again).
    Once set then use a huge dollop (a full tube) a Dow Corning sealant that you just dollop all over the unit to completely seal it and smooth off with a wet finger again leave to go off, this can take a few days because of the amount of sealant, but bearing in mind the bashes it takes lifting on and off the car and when launching its worth the wait.
    Once all set then simply tie wrap the cables to the scupper hole mouldings so they are out the way and that is that.
    As for a battery you can get them from either screw fix or maplins, I think I got a 12volt 4amp/hour and i easily get more than a full day from one charge, you'll need either an optimate motorcycle charger or the special charger for the battery from maplins, you can't use a car charger.Fit an inline fuse get a sturdy battery box or tupperwear box , i then place my battery box in a dry bag so that it doesn't knock the transducer off the hull and hey ho ready to go.

Hope that all makes sense, if not by all means pm me and I give you a ring and talk you through any problems you have, by the way I am also based in Hull.

Cheers Dave a.k.a. Jellyworm

13. bucko

bucko Guest

On the subject of kayaking have a look at this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=486386&in_page_id=1811

Shame they had to kill them but as I know nothing of stock levels etc in that area I'll not pass judgement.

14. fudge

fudge New Member

Hi, thanks for all you're help and info, I have ordered my lowrence 52i. I came last Sunday and saw some of you out there at Flambrough, will anyone be there this Sunday (14/10) and if you are what time?.
    Cheers Fudge.

15. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Hi matey, not yakking this Sunday but will be fishing Bempton tops if you fancy coming along form a natter, will be there for most of the day from early morning onwards.

Cheers Jellyworm