1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KAYAK FISHING - My New Kayak, she's here !!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by robq, May 25, 2007.

1. robq

robq Rockling

At last after many delays my yak is finally here ;D ;D ;D

Picked it up at 4.30 and was at mappleton by half 7 for a paddle around, practised capsizinig it and getting back aboard, they are pretty stable and pretty quick to paddle too. If anyone is in half minds wether to get one then I fully recommend it.

If the weather holds tomorrow am going to give it a go off flamboro and thornwick, cant wait ;D ;D

Just a few pics from this evening

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Acko

Acko Rockling

Re: she's here !!

Great stuff.
    There was 2 lads fishing 1 mile off here (Skinningrove) from "Yaks" the other day they got some nice Cod and some Maccarel.
    Have fun m8

3. bassman

bassman Administrator

Try fraisthorpe first rob its shallow as you know and iv seen a lot of lads fishin there, in there yaks and its much safer untill you get your confidence in it. good luck and good fishing ;)

4. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Sweet! and a matching paddle too. Leave a few for me Rob. Collected a few Butterfish tonight when I was crabbing and got some prawn traps sorted, of course I forgot to take them with me.

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

[​IMG]

???

At least you wern't daft enough to sit in it and to try catch a kitten ;) :) ;D

6. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Looks like the kitten won!

7. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

;D ;Dlol

8. robq

robq Rockling

Cheers lads thanks for the encouragement ;D ;D.

the matching paddle was pure coincidence Ramrod ;) ;) I have my E bay crab/lobster/prawn traps at the ready but not going to shoot them until I get until I get the fishfinder.

Will hopefully have a few pics of some lovely cod to post tomorrow !!

9. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Nice one Rob welcome to the yak force - looks like the weather will be ok for flamboro tomorrow - theres quite a few fish showing there at the moment - I would stay well inshore until your fully confident - as said before save us some fish - good luck

10. dbrown

dbrown Guest

Might see you if your off just of thornwick might have a chuck there. ]

Dan

11. olivefish

olivefish New Member

how much do these kayaks cost.

12. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

They vary in price depending on make and size but you,ll pick up a good quality, new kayak for about £550, do we have another potential yaker in our midst?

13. robq

robq Rockling

First fishing trip ;D ;D ;D

If they are all going to be up to this standard I will be well pleased !! somehow I dont think that they will be though ::)

fished from 1.30 til 4.30 and ended up with 22 cod, 3 billet and 1 wrasse. The best sport was over slack water on an ultra light 6ft spinning rod with tiny reel and 8lb braid, using a 40gram dexter wedge as a mini pirk. Even 2lb codling had it bent double and strippng line !! ultimate sport and much nicer than dragging them through the kelp on a beast of a rod and 35lb line. The rest were taken on a 10oz pirk when the tide picked up or mussel baits.

A few pics-

[​IMG]

I had to go ashore to answer the call of nature, its impossible afloat wearing chesties, dry cag and life jacket :mad: :mad: here are 8 out the 10 fish I kept, all the rest were returned alive and well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Excellent first voyage rob. Your all making me rather envious. Nice picture of the cod making their final call on the mobile. Top angling ;D ;D ;D

How far out did you venture ??

15. robq

robq Rockling

No more than 500 yards BB. Did get a decent fish on near the end on the 10oz pirk on the 20lb class rod but it came off near the top :'( :'( felt like 6lb+ fish. Cant wait to get a decent spragg on that ultra light gear !!
    I didnt realise how much even smallish codling can put up a decent scrap on the right gear.

I was getting as many fish as all the boats around me today but with no fuel/charter/compound/launch fees to pay !!

I think I can honestly say that was one of the best days fishing I have ever had, very rewarding. I would recommend it to anyone ;D ;D

16. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Well done Rob great few hours fishing that. Don,t make it sound too good or everyone will want one ;D I must admit I prefer using the lighter gear. I was using my 3oz casting weight spinning rod for jigging with a 2oz leadhead on. On settled days when the wind and tide is,nt too strong I reckon you could get away with it for most of the time using braid. Good to know you had a good day and I hope it was the big ones you put back ;D

17. robq

robq Rockling

They were all mops anyway Ray, the biggest was only about 3lb. Still good fishing though. I agree that we need to cool it with the selling 'yaking' thing ! ;D ;D otherwise there will be hundreds of us all trying to launch the same spots and cutting up each others drifts next year :mad: :mad: everyone Ignore my previous posts, Yak fishing is c**p !! dont do it

18. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

well done rob a great first session - yaks open up loads of angling avenues - I can soon see flamboro overcrowded

19. robq

robq Rockling

Hopefully not, I'm not sure wether that ground I was fishing holds a good resident stock or if the majority are clean run visiting fish, It certainly seems to be replenishing itself well this year with the amount of pleasure boats out there taking loads of fish. I would bet that some of the kelp marks would suffer if loads of poeple started hammering them on a regular basis, so Its a good job that I have a few little 'off the beaten track' spots up my sleeve then ;D ;D. I don,t eat loads of fish, so now that I have replenished my freezer stock, the majority of what I catch will be going back, apart from the odd nice one or gut hooked fish.

20. BIG rod

BIG rod New Member

wow sounds like a great way of fishing, there is a good run off fish off filey brigg at the moment none for the measure. Has any one tryed it yet with the yaks? ???