1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayak fishing league banter

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Feb 22, 2009.

1. loz

loz Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Kayak Fishing League Table

Ah ive located a spot with even bigger fish Spud they must be denser fish at the new spot as acording to ian barnet a 67inch fish there is over 200lbs

2. spud

spud New Member

Just tell me when Lozz and i will see you up there North West of Oban :whistle:

3. firestormhead

firestormhead Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice to see a dozen or more kayakers off sandsend last night :)
    Perfect conditions, no wind and flat calm

However, fishing across our fleets of pots is not such a good idea...Not only do you risk heavy end gear losses, but are causing a surmountable nuisance to ourselves by the damage that the hooks cause to the mesh on the pots!! :(

You see the hooks will rip a mesh and let out our catch, then we have the inconvenience and extra time of mending the holes!!

Come on lads, we are trying to earn a living :0

We were out late moving the pots into deeper and safer water before the predicted swell on Friday :(...You see we catch the most lobsters close in where the good ground is, but can't leave the gear there through the swell because of the pounding they take on the rock, so the first sign of bad weather and the Whitby potters scramble to move the pots into safer, but much less productive, deeper water

Ironically, on this occasion, the kayakers were mistaking our end flags as 'good ground markers', unfortunately as we had just moved them off the ground and into the soft sand, where we weren't expecting to catch much, I expect the kayakers also caught very little!!! Except of course our pots and back rope!!! lol

So thanks for the hoke eyes and leads lads. I suppose I can offset this against the mending time!!! But if you had done the research or had a half decent fish finder aboard, then you would have known that the good ground was well inshore of where our pots were last night and the best fishing ground, in fact was completely clear of any commercial gear???? :whatever:

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I can understand where you are coming from, no one wants damaged pots but we don't actually target pots! Potters and kayakers in this area are both looking for the same grounds to fish so unfortunately there are times we will get caught up, we don't want to get up on pot ropes/pots as much as you don't want us to.

The problem we have is that there isn't that much ground from Saltburn - Whitby that doesn't have fleets of pots all around so what do we do? It's not generally safe for us to paddle 3 miles out to avoid the pots and the fishing isn't always ideal very close in so we are left with the only option of fishing areas that might contain pots. I for one hate being caught up on pots/pot rope so try to avoid it at all costs but if some don't know exactly where the pots are then of course there is a chance we will get snagged up.

I don't use the pot flags as 'good ground markers', I already know where the good ground is unfortunately most of the time it's used up by pots :wink: I appreciate it is an inconvenience if our gear does get caught up on your pots/rope but I can assure we do try to avoid them.

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I Have removed my initial reply to you as I dont think it was helpful to the situation. What I will say is that if you go around shouting at people in the manner you did last night I dont see it getting you anywhere fast. We dont fish across your pots on purpose. Most of us work out where the enders run and fish parallel to them and a fair distance away. If you want to have another word you can get hold of me anytime.

6. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I agree, having a word with said angler rather than shouting at him would have been prefereable, we as anglers resect the fact that you lads are trying to make a living and will try to avoid your pots at all costs (trust me, its not a lot of fun losing end gear to them)
    as has been said the pots are often on ground that is also favoured by anglers, but tirades of this kind only bolster the negative impression many anglers have for the commercial fishing fleet, and as for making holes in your meshes, come on, thats incredibly unlikley.
    id much rather that we could all be respectfull of each other as no one wants to see bad feeling between people out on the sea, such "feuds" could become dangerous if taken too far

7. newdave

newdave Guest

to be fair, I was one of the people firestormhead spoke to and he was polite enough especially as i was removing a hook from a line i had managed to lift to the surface, but as i never fish with anything heavier than 25lb i really cant see how i can make a hole in a pot ? most likley the damage to pots is done by boats fishng heavier gear, maybe, dare i say it charter boats.

hope this does not become a feud, dont fancy been run down by an irate potter, but better get used to having Kayaks on your patch & maybe we could be redirected to areas with fish & no pots :wink:

8. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

spot on sam, i cant think of many bits of ground that arent plastered in pots all the time

9. smokey

smokey Rockling

We moved our gear onto the soft last night as well.Your comment about hooks and rigs smashing your mesh is a load of tut,we've never once had a mesh broken by fishing rigs on the pots.3mm braided twine would be at least 250lb breaking strain so a rig made of 20-30lb mono is NEVER going to knacker your pots.Feel free to jig amongst mine down the back of the brigg,i will sell you your gear back at a reasonable cost :whistle: :happy: tight lines

10. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

The irony is that John at some point will have watched his paying anglers (When he takes parties to sea) drop gear into wrecks which are potted by the defiant. My neighbour gives me a lot of the gear and has never moaned once about it.

11. newdave

newdave Guest

look out Glenn & Ken, a spawney little pollock tonight & I leap into 3rd place, might just start to take this seriously, where do those bloody tadpole fish live ?

:wink:

12. AmberDouglas

AmberDouglas Guest

good look all Good skills and experience of a good picture film