1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayak fishing league banter

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Feb 22, 2009.

1. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

nothing cos it wasnt on a yak!

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Pah! minor detail :whistle:

3. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Don't want to worry you guys but if anyone can loan me a 50/80lb boat rod and a big game reel in the very near future (next week) I would appreciate it :whistle: I'll show that Robson Green fella what Extreme kayak fishing is :cheesy: .

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I can get you a heavy rod and reel Ken this week but they would have to be bought specially, nothing here to loan :sad:

5. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Thanks for the offer Sam but I cannot justify buying them just at the mo mate, Spud is dragging me north in the hunt for 100lb + skate anchoring in 300ft of water :scare: . And if that isn't enough we have to take camping kit with us on the yak . . .

6. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Sounds great fun Ken, anchoring in 300ft of water should be interesting :scare:

7. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Ye might have problems, my anchor line is only 200 ft :laugh: Its trying to unsucker one of them from the bottom and then lifting it in tide that worries me. .

8. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

It'll be reet Ken, you've got vast experince of 'extreme kayak fishing' so it'll be no problem for you :cool:

9. newdave

newdave Guest

a big numb 50lb fenwicks boat rod with rollers, in my Garage that has never been used, just pick it up next time your passing. At what stage does the kayak start going down quicker than the skate is coming up ? :laugh:

10. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

well time will tell if does not post for a wile he will be on the bottom with the skate :laugh:

11. carpyken

carpyken New Member

So anyway, back to thread, (sorry Glenn :embarrass: :embarrass: ) only just over a couple of weeks to start of the league, would anyone like to share their league strategies with us :cheesy: , whos targetting what first? Are you going all out to bag a quick 20 points or going for the bread and butter points first - or even somewhere in between. Been some great advice on the forum this last week in targetting species we don't usually bother with, Would love to know your game plan :whistle:

I'm stuffed for two weeks as my mentor is the other side of the planet :crazy: :cheesy:, you just know I cannot catch a slug without his imput :embarrass:

Glenn are the rules and species finalised yet, quantities etc ?

Ken

12. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I think I'm about there with the rules. I think I will opt for best 3 fish of each species apart from those where only 1 is allowed. I am keen to avoid the one thing a lot of people were concerned about and that is the league taking over their fishing and enjoyment of the sport. So 6 months to catch 3 fish of each type shouldnt stress anyone too much. I was hoping for a bit more input from the kayakers but I assume their quietness means :

A: They are all completely happy with things as they.
    B: They've all gone into stealth mode and are planning their strategies.
    C: Noone is fishing the league as it sounds a waste of time.

My strategy is to enjoy myself and go with the flow. Fish when I can nd just hope the weather is better than last years.

13. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

My plan is to have the most points by the end of the league :cheesy: there you go Ken, don't say I never you tell you anything :secret:

I honestly haven't even thought about how I'll fish this league, most of it is down to luck anyway so I just hope I'm in the right place at the right time. Bit like 2008 :cheesy: :whistle:

14. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

maybes i should have a dabble with this...i gotta good feelin in my pants for this yr LMAO it cant be half as bad as last yr was...surely??

15. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Glenn it will be a success mate, 'C' is not an option, you've put a lot of thought and effort into it, it would be hard for us to critisize as you've done most of the groundwork and there are some great prizes up for grabs.

It will be a fun and diverse season for anyone who takes on the challenge, pushing our own boundaries and opening up all kind of techniques and species we haven't yet given much thought too. The league to me will only enhance our fishing and enjoyment of the sport, in my mind it'll be running in the background and will push me to try different techniques and hopefully latch into a few of new species too.

Ken

16. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Oh you just play it close to your chest then mister :cheesy: , theres got to be a great strategy in there somewhere . . . get stright in there with a bit of intense fishing after a little bit of research and knock out a quick 20 points - just to intimidate the opposition of course, then nibble away at the 'sure thing' species to get ahead - my problem will be staying power - keeping it going ( just ask the wife :embarrass: ), then as the season unfolds target the species as they become available, unfortunately that is as far as i've got :cheesy:

Anyone for a midnight start on opening night :cheesy: ? ?

17. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

one of the best times to bag up thru the summer there ken specially into the early hours

18. carpyken

carpyken New Member

never really made dawn last year mate but some of my best fish were certainly at dusk, coming ashore in the pitch dark, best cod, first bass, best ling :happy:

19. PNGWIN

PNGWIN New Member

I intend to photograph and weigh my catch with a copy of the daily or sunday sport as evidence in the background. at least if the fishing is crap I will have something to do. :whistle:

20. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

:laugh: :laugh:

choose a different paper pengy, that one won`t be any good once you`ve got it all wet and sticky :tease: :sick: :vomit: