1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayak fishing league banter

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I would like to keep it local new yacker but am open to suggestions, I'm sure as a regular site member and contributor we can come to some arrangement on the required posts for you mate. What I dont want is someone who contributes nothing to the site just posting to claim a prize.

What do others think ??

2. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Yes i think you summed it up well there Glenn, we all know Newyacker as I regular contributor, I suppose you have to be a litle flexible.

Without making it too complicated, how about being able to enter just 1 or maybe two fish from outside the area too :whistle: :cheesy: .

Whats going to be great about this is that a few of the species have yet to be caught from a kayak in this area - and for those who are willing to do the research and put a few hours in off the water talking and finding things out, not only will you be catching a first for this area but you'll be up for top league points too.

Ye Glenn as Simon mentioned mullet would be great too and how about common eel :happy:

3. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

I totally agree with the site contributions thing and I would love to take part. Could we have an intent to fish rule, where as an inland contributing member can post their intent to fish whilst on holiday including their holiday location and how many fishing days they intend to post reports for, this could even encourage members in the holiday destination area to contact the said member for a days fishing.

4. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

Ken did you mean common eel or common seal :laugh: :laugh:

5. Baramundi Bob

I will add mullet to the list Ken. As they are hard to target they should be worth a few points. Im sticking on the boundaries at the moment though.

Newyacker, anyone with over 50 site posts before 1st april 2009 can byepass the 10 reports rule.

6. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

Hey Glenn that`s great and I think covers it nicely.

Besides being, considerate, obliging, thoughtful, unselfish, educated, humorous, generous, forgiving and a Leeds fan, you can now add accommodating to your list of good points :happy:.

cheers Glenn.

7. Baramundi Bob

Shame a few more people were as appreciative. Thanks again and I look forward to reading about your catches this summer mate.

8. Dorado

Dorado New Member

Oh, thats it for me then, I'm out - he's a LEEDS supporter!

bad luck Glenn.......Derby on the up!

Seriously, the long haul to the coast thing is always going to hinder some people (like me - I am further than you Newyacker), but it is no different to any other fishing competition, local knowledge is a bonus. Being able to post a few trips and still be in with a chance is useful though - I will only need my two trips to Flamborough and I'll be out of sight!

9. Baramundi Bob

Might be difficult for some of you to challenge for top 3 in the league but there will also be prizes and recognition for heaviest in species and of course the kudos for doing things like bass on a fly and catching the difficult to get species.

Also there will be the fun of taking part which must never be forgotten. If I finish last I wont care because I just love this type of fishing so much, and I think this is the best attitude to adopt, especially if your as crap as me.

10. PNGWIN

PNGWIN New Member

Glen, how about extra points for full catch and release, should make thing intersting. PNG

11. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

your not crap when theres a competative goal in sight.....lest we forget the race to 50 cod before new year :cheesy:
    I can see this being a real enjoyable part of kayak fishing, especially as most species of fish carry points, plus it will level the playing field to a certain degree when it comes to tagetting some of the less usual species
    would love to see a pic of someone with a sunfish....now that seems like a very near impossible task, have heard of them in the area but never see one (or even a picture of one) caught on this bit of coast.

12. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Think Chris (CPS) has had one and one swam past Simon last summer while we were out topeing. Would be fun to see one, what do they feed on? :cheesy:

13. Benq23

Says here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_sunfish

that they eat jellyfish.....and they eat a lot of them, might be why they are sometimes seen about these parts when the summers in swing and the jellys are about in hoardes.
    methinks the correct improvised lure left in the righ spot might be the ticket here.
    although if they fight then your doomed being as the adults average 1000kg/2,200 lb
    might be a laugh on light spinning gear :cheesy:

14. Benq23

15. Baramundi Bob

I was lucky enough to see one caught about 25 years ago on Whitby west pier. Fortunately the bloke knew what he was doing. He played the fish. Got it to the side. Went down ladder and photographed and released it. There was a picture in Eric Wilsons window for years.

16. Benq23

What kind of size was that then glen? bet it was a hell of a sight to see.

17. Baramundi Bob

I cant remember Ben. Id love to get hold of Eric Wilsons pictures. He had some fantastic images of local fishing. A pic of a 60 pound cod caught off upgang (longline or net), and some pics of him fishing Saltwick Nab (Broad daylight) with a huge catch of cod, A 5 pound Haddock off the west pier (On a handline), and lots more great pics.

18. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Haddock? So there is a chance of one in these parts?

19. Baramundi Bob

Most the haddock the charter skippers get come from distance Ken. But I would bet you could pick one up off the sands. Maybe around Boulby bouy or up and Saltburn/marske along with thornbacks and plaice. Also maybe in RHB. Is it tuts garden that Doc refers to ?

20. Benq23

its both amazing and profundly sad that there were such catches to be taken around here,alsas its not the case anymore. I would give my high teeth to step back a few years and have a couple of sessions.