1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayak fishing league banter

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Feb 22, 2009.

1. kipper

kipper New Member

you are really imaginative and enthusiastic glenn which is great.

cheers kim

2. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

30 days till it begins.
    wonder if we'll get the weather for an opening day paddle?
    it is on a wednesday like......maybe not too god for those who have conventional jobs......looks like a headstart may be on for those with midweek days off :yes:

3. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

if the weather looks good I will putting a days holiday in, cant have the young upstarts drawing first blood!

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

You do right Matty, can't have them catching your Pouting can we :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

5. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

i think this banter should stop cos its not fair for people that have not got a yak and need a yak. :cry: :cry: :cry:

6. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Spawney has a spare yak John, I'm sure if you asked nicely you could accompany us one day this summer, I'm sure you'd love it

7. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

i will be having a word i think thanks

8. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

No ones forcing you to look :evil: (only playing john! hope you get out on a lend mate!)

think I'll be getting out on the wednesday.....supposing the weather is up to it of course.
    any points for a harbour flounder?? of several hundred hard shore crabs? :nerd: :laugh:

9. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

well i like looking :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:. but one day i will have one well hope so, its harder not to look at the yaking than stopping smoking :laugh: :laugh:

10. quint

Is the kayak fishing league restricted to local boundaries Glenn? Any idea when will you be posting the official rules, I need to start planning my game plan :cheesy:

11. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Boundaries I think will be Tyne to Humber, this should allow a bit of scope for the more adventurous without opening it up to the whole of the UK. Anyone wishing to claim a prize must be a site member before they fish and must be competing fully in the league.

I'll post some rules in the next couple of weeks Iain.

12. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Rules look good Glenn, as you say you will have to limit the amount of times certain fish can be entered in a certain section or we'll all be mopping up school bass and coddling to get our points up :happy:

Would maybe like to see a conger being listed too :cheesy:

The only other thing I can think of is regarding the tope. Is playing and releasing by the side of the yak good enough? (Touching the fish if we going to be strict). It may not be everyones cup of tea to drag one aboard.

Sounds great though Glenn, will spur us all on to try new methods and techniques.

13. Baramundi Bob

Hi Ken,

I think getting a tope to the side of the yak will constitute a catch, there wont be any need to drag them onto the kayaks, same goes for smoothies and skate if people want to set them free at the side of the yak then that's no problem. Ill add conger to the list for you. Whilst catch and release is not mandatory on the edible species it is the persons own choice to practice or not paractice this

Im currently thinking of either best 3 or 5 fish per species (Apart from those species where its stipulated 1 only) so that we avoid constant targeting of the easy small fish such as mackerel and school bass.

Boundaries will be Tyne to Humber and there will be a rule that people must post a certain amount of catch reports to claim any prize. This should stop anyone from joining up to claim a biggest in category prize whilst not really taking part in the spirit of the comp.

I will add a clear set of rules before we start.

Please keep your positive and helpful thoughts coming.

14. Baramundi Bob

To claim any fish in the 5 point section you wont need to weigh it. Also the same will apply for any species where weight doesn't matter.

15. quint

I know your an expert on nailing mackeral on the float Glenn, any chance of some pointers, apparently us rock anglers are hopeless at it :crazy: :crazy:

16. Baramundi Bob

I'm sure it will come easy to a man of you calibre Iain.

17. Dorado

Dorado New Member

This is a brilliant concept. Well done for being so forward thinking.

How are you going to verify the results - because I have had a 10lb bass on fly on the 1st April already..... :laugh:

I think you must have conger up there. The potters would be the ones to ask - they will get the odd strap in the pots if there are any.

What about mullet? Do you get mullet in the estuaries up there?

Can I suggest a picture to verify capture for each fish to count. That way a fish alongside can be held and just a grab shot with a mobile or compact will support the claim. Otherwise I am going to mop up with everything caught on fly - with line class records for 4lb tippet as an added bonus! :tease:

18. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

We aint worried dorado, your handicap has already been set :wink:. Top points are for cod :laugh: :laugh:

19. Baramundi Bob

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your input mate, its much appreciated. I think I will be aiming at getting photo verification for a set percentage of fish. There are days when people forget the cameras or pics don't come out so Id hate people to loose out on a great catch. As with most competitions there is an element of trust and we will have to work with that as well.

I aim to make a rule (Not certain yet) but it will be something like that people have to fish the league for at least 2 months and have put 10 report posts onto the forum to claim any prize. This should encourage people to join into the spirit of the comp and stop the chancers who would join if the got lucky one day and dedcided they wanted a prize.

As for weighing fish I hope people can do it on the yaks. Anyone claiming points from the 5 point category need no weigh the fish. The weights in the other categories are in a wide enough bracket for people to be able to weigh the fish on the yaks and get them back into the water if they are returning them.

If anyone is claiming points for a fish which is slap bang in the middle of 2 points categories eg a 6 pound 1 ounce bass. I would ask for verification from their paddle partner or that they claim the points from the next category down if they fish alone.

Anglers will be responsible for keeping their own scores and placing themselves in position in the league. The league will be an open topic that they edit.

All points scored must be cross checkable to posts on the forum and I will ask the top 3 to submit links to posts for all the points they scored. If there isnt a post then you cant score the points. People should keep check of the points they score so they can validate them at the end. (not sure of the best way for them to do this yet but im sure its workable).

20. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

Glenn I admire you for taking on such a mammoth task just in the setting up of this league, I know you can`t please everybody all the time, but, what about us inlander's who can`t get to launch as much as others. 10 reports, means 10 launches do I need to post a report if I don`t catch to make up the report numbers. 10 launches means 1400miles travelling for me and quite a few other members, a financial burden we must bare and accept. Can there be something in the rule structure to allow for participants home geographical location. Can we also count catches from our holidays as long as we holiday in the UK, a weeks holiday could make several catch reports, I know that trust would be a big factor in this holiday thing. Living on the coast gives an advantage over people that live inland, I know if I lived on the coast this wouldn`t enter my head, but I don`t and it has, how can we take part with financial and geographical limitations.
    Sorry for any extra pressure Glenn.
    cheers