1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayak fishing info required RE: runswick bay

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Benq23, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Ok, once the weather gets to be something like again (hopefuly sometime in the next 2 weeks) Im fancying a trip to runswick, staying relativley close to shore IE within the confines of the bay itself.
    by then I will have VHF and all neccasary safety equipment.
    what im wanting to know is what methods would be most productive around this time of year, would I be best off uptiding/ bait fishing on the drift or jigging, how far off do I need to be to realistically hope for a decent session. what tide condition/does it matter?
    any advice greatly appreciated.

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Ive not had a lot of success at this time of year in the bay itself - usually have to go out into the tidal flow and fish baits to get the cod (uptiding).

In the bay itself their should be the chance of coleys, whiting and flatties.

As the water clears then jigging and fishing lures becomes more productive, you can get fish in the bay (whiting, makkies, etc) with these methods but for the cod you need to get out of the mouth of the bay and into the tide

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Think that sums it up. The fish are feeding in the tidal flow at this time of year. In the summer you may get some good fishing in the weed beds closer in. However I would advise you get tucked under someone's wing for your first few sessions. Bobbing up and down in the bay is very nice, but 200 yards outside the bay and in tidal flow is not so nice. Add a bit of wind against tide and its damn right nasty.

Post up on here when you are going and see if you can tag along with someone. You have my number and you can come with us anytime we are out. Better to go in numbers until you know what your faced with.

4. Dorado

Dorado New Member

Paddlefest in Nottingham this weeknd - anyone wanting a bit of tuition, I shall be on the water doing demos, tuition and talks on safety and rigging a kayak for fishing.

Loook forward to seeing any of you there. Looks like the weather will be pants for fishing anyway, so bring your immersion kit and come on down!

5. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Its got to be worth tieing off to one of the bouys in the bay and having a go for the plaice and thornies though. Goggies will be in the bay too.

Has anyone ever had a thorny out of the bay, they must be there :happy:

Ken

6. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

will see after 1st April Ken :wink:

7. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Good answer Matty :laugh:

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Yes Ken there are Thorbacks in the bay. Between the yaucht club and the first scar.

9. newdave

newdave Guest

thornbacks, like hauling in a tesco bag full of seawater acording to skatey ken :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

10. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I Would like to actually target thornbacks and dogfish, if they are there in sufficient numbers to be targetted,
    for a lot of the species Im thinking robin hoods bay would be a winner as its got pretty much every type of ground covered in the bay itself.....the only problem is that it is so much larger than runswick that the sheltered aspect of it suffers.....definatly not a place I would like to tackle single handedly as a beginner.

Glenn I think your right regarding going at the same time as others, last thing I want is to get into trouble with no one to help me out, will definatly be posting up when Im planning on going,

#thanks for your replies lads, really usefull :yes:

11. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I know for a fact there are dogfish in the bay, dunno if they are in numbers but a lad on a yak got 2 last summer

12. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

i was thinking the same whilst jiiging, i was trying to note how the ground changed in depth as i drifted over the sandbanks in the bay, will soon see when the weather clears

13. Mick

Mick They're out there!

Hi Matty,

I've not had a lot of success in the bay itself - only ever seen a weever fish hooked!!
    Me and Kev caught a doggy each last July. We were out beyond the bay drifting with our drogues out and then all of a sudden there was action - we were both using baited hokkis with small strips of squid. The sea bed was sandy though, you could feel it when the sinker touched bottom. We had a couple of cod and a small ling last week in almost the same spot and again with squid.
    Seems like there's a few species out there with more specific targetting methods I reckon you could get what you were after.

Mick

14. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

that goes without saying Mick, it was Raymo after all!