1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayak Fishing in Winter?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by mattylamb, Aug 26, 2008.

1. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Well we all now the summer has been a bit of a wash out and yakking trips have been limited. Despite that we've had some decent sessions and I'm very happy with my purchase - best thing i ever did was buying the yak!

Now there's always plenty of cool calm spells in winter when the coast fishing is pants round our way and the sea is flat as a fart. I'm thinking this would be the ideal time to get out in the yak half a mile or so and get the cod

Any of you more seasoned yakkers done any winter yakking?

2. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

Pick your weather and it can be excellent sport. Some of my best outings have been during the winter months. If the water is coloured up a bit you can get the pick in and try a bit of uptiding as well. The fish tend to run a bit bigger at that time of year as well. I find spring is my leanest period, fish wise.

Neil.

3. robq

robq Rockling

Hi Matty I intended to do some winter yakking last winter off the holderness, in the prime spots and good tides for a pig or two, but the truth is with limited daylight hours, working shifts and good old english weather I just never really got the chance.

I did get out from hornsea for a few hours on probably the coldest day of 2008 :surprise: :surprise: and managed a pile of whiting and few cod but I have to say that it is a totally different game in deepest winter :scared:

At least 3 technical layers under a drysuit are essential to stop you sweating and getting clammy and cold at anchor, alos forget about paddling too far for the same reason. The best tips I can give you is get a pair of 5 mm winter sealed neoprene surf gloves for around £20 and then cut the tips of the thumb and 1st 2 fingers off. These will keep you warmas toast even when wet. Finally get some heat pads to put in your socks :yes: without these you will be in agony :evil:

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

The potential to catch fish is certainly good. Our knowledge of the fishing in the area you guys currently frequent came from the Whitby Charter boats who have uptided around there for quite a few years now, and with some success I must add. One guy in particular Malc on Sea Spray fishes that ground a lot.

The abilty to stay warm is another matter. Ive started to feel chilly after an evenings kayaking already. The inside if My cag is always soaking wet and I think in Winter that will make you cold pretty quick.

5. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I'm looking forward to some winter kayaking but I know some preparation will have to be done first, some new clothing/dry suit will have to be obtained first so I don't freeze my nuts off :scare: Will have a look around during the next couple of weeks for various bits n bobs so I'm prepared for winter.

6. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

I find it's my hands that I can't seem to get warm. I've tried all sorts of gloves and not really had success with any of them. Once your hands are wet it's difficult to get them dry enough to keep them warm. The water temperature is also a big issue, especially early in the year, once it's been churned up by a few winter storms. You certainly don't want to take a dunk out there with the wrong gear on in February. Some of the calmest days I've had this year were in February..

This was taken on the 10th Feb this year..........

[​IMG]

The sea lochs on the West of Scotland provide a welcome retreat when the Northerlys set in over here, still bloomin cold though. :yes:

[​IMG]

Neil.

7. robq

robq Rockling

Looks like Loch Etive mate ?? I wouldnt fancy a big thrashing double figure spurdog in my lap on the yak :surprise: :scare:

8. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

It certainly is Etive, the bigger Spurs can be a bit of a handfull, especialy when your dry suit is at risk... :embarrass:

Neil.

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

My mate who river fishes mentioned something called Bunting gloves that are good when wet. Has anyone heard of them

10. Steve

Steve Rockling

i got a pair of sealskinz gloves.
    they keep you warm even when wet

11. robq

robq Rockling

I have fished etive a few times the last couple of years from a small boat and done well with the spurs and thornbacks :yes:

It would be an ideal place for a kayak trip/long weekend with a campsite just across the road at taynuilt :yes: you can usually get some shelter from bad winds somewhere in the loch

some good pollack venues just up the coast too !!

12. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

Never heard of them before Glen, had a wee search and found them here...

http://www.fmtc.co.uk/web_store.php?product=guide-PFG&referrer_id=FROOGLE&cart_id=

Don't be tempted to buy sealskinz gloves though. They are seriously rubbish and £25.00 a pair. The shop I bought them from removed them from sale, said they had the majority of them handed back with complaints. Possibly a bad batch though.I Used them once and they leaked. I have a sealskinz hat and a pair of socks which are superb, might just give those bunting ones a try though.

Neil.

13. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Uptide winter fishing is very good around our parts but the temperature plays a major part as you are very exposed on a kayak, and as your bait fishing you are quite static, and unlike being on a boat you are limited in exercising to create body heat, planning your trip is essential - target the best state of tide, don't be sat there like a clown on a neap slack, don't paddle a long way to avoid sweating, your endurance will be greater if fish are there, sat there with little action soon gets you thinking of a hot bath and stew and dumplings - the obvious others are hot drinks and covering you head

Robq is the man when it gets tough, he was out on the coldest day last winter, when the windchill was about -15 :surprise:

14. newdave

newdave Guest

[​IMG]
    boxing day 2007

another tip is get anchored well away from quint unless you want to hear a lot reasons why winter kayak fishing is bollocks :laugh: :laugh:

15. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

:laugh: :laugh:

Yeah seeing that reminds me, forget winter fishing it's total crap :sick:

16. wildcard

wildcard Guest

Great pics.

wildcard