1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kayak fishing competition

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by newdave, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

ok , never mind mate, probably going to give it a miss anyway.

2. bigfat

bigfat New Member

hope to be there just have to fiddle the rota :pray:

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Well the event is getting ever closer now. Again I dont want to speak too soon but the long term BBC forecast predicts the azores high that is going to influence the weather at the back end of this week, may just last untill the start of next month.

A week of settled weather should stir some interest in fishing these virgin kayak grounds :cheesy: :cheesy:

4. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

What virgin grounds are these :wink:

5. Baramundi Bob

:surprise: Well virgin to most of us :wink:

6. Volusian

Volusian New Member

[/quote]

well lets hope it stays fine ..... im certainly taking advantage of this weekends nice weather ... im off to both N & S landings all weekend ... cant wait ! :cheesy:

7. Volusian

Volusian New Member

Question regarding the weight in point ...

What are participants thoughts on ceaseing fishing at 12 noon and having to get back to shore - sort valuable equipment out - and be able to change into something like warm dry clothing and get ones catch weighed in within 30 minutes of the finish sufficient ?? Cannot the weigh in deadline be extended to 1 hour ? i feel sure that most shore anglers could possibly meet this deadline ... but maybe not those fishing from a kayak ..

8. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Just have to get a move on Keith ! :wink:

9. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Hi Yakkerman. The weigh-in will be held near the landing area and the thinking behind this was so the anglers could weigh-in first and then sort out their gear. 30 min therefore is ample considering the boundries. To do it the other way around would take an age. Ray.

10. Volusian

Volusian New Member

sorted then ... however this was not just my opinion .... it was other members concerns also ... thanks

11. newdave

newdave Guest

Ray has posted the same as i was typing

weigh in is just off the beach Kieth, thought we could pull the yaks up on, the beach, weigh in then go back & sort the gear out. quite a few of the lads who supplement there earnings with prize money are shooting off to fish the afternoon shore comp.

12. quint

Is my name on the list yet I've done it twice now and these damn thing never tell you if it was successful :cheesy:

13. Volusian

Volusian New Member

quite a few of the lads who supplement there earnings with prize money !!!!

Shit ... am i missing something here ......... lol :crazy:

14. Baramundi Bob

It tells you if you were succesful Iain. If the form is still visible you missed something. You must type into all the boxes marked with an asterix. If it still dont work you can shoot me :happy:

15. SteveCBR900

SteveCBR900 New Member

Im in, will be a chance to test out my new Prowler Big Game - taking it out tomorrow for the first time to try it out and roll it etc so no doubt the match will be a real learning curve, look forward to it...

16. Baramundi Bob

Nice one Steve. What better place to start. Lots of helpers on hand to make sure your safe and to offer general help and advice. I look forward to seeing you there.

17. gavstick

gavstick New Member

Well thats me registered and looking forward to meeting everyone. Any ideas on what baits to use ?

18. Baramundi Bob

Just a reminder that the registration form is here :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/north-east-fishing-news/kayak-fishing-competition

Currnt forecast looks good. Keep those fingers crossed

19. newdave

newdave Guest

A bit more info, this is the north bay
    [​IMG]
    this is the campsite
    http://www.siteseeker.co.uk/aspx/details.aspx?id=7255&currentPage=0

the oasis cafe is the meeting point & its open from 06:00, check in will start at 07:00 we can launch at 08:00
    there is a turning point at the corner next to the slipway where you can drop of the yaks, alternatively park over the road on the pay & display & wheel the yaks down. its level going so probably the easiest. i think it will cost about £3.50 to park.
    at the end we plan to land in front of the cafe,pull the yaks up the beach & weigh in. that gives time to sort the gear out before the prize giving.
    After that the worlds your oyster, some of the winners might want to take the rest for lunch, fish & chips of course :wink:

As a lot of the lads are traveling & wont have too much idea about the venue, i am hoping somebody(quint) can give a rundown of what to expect from the fishing.

20. quint

As requested by Spawney:

Species

The main species targeted will be cod which are abundant around the castle headland in the tidal areas - there is also a chance of a good pollock close in around the acropods - there is a slight chance of bass in and around the North Bay - there will be flatfish inside the bay but hardly worth targeting

Tactics

From launch head eastward towards the headland, anywhere from 300 + yards out around the coffee pot area and south towards the south bay - it is all hard ground and anywhere around the pot bouys will or should be productive - if the water is clear then you could use lures such as small jiggers and jellyworms, however from recent reports lures have not been as productive as previous years - if the water is coloured then simple uptiding or downtiding at anchor is recommended when the tide is running, at slack it may well be worth drifting with bait - for pollock try getting close to the marine drive casting plugs or trolling, but water clarity is important for this, and this is of course true for bass plugging, here trolling around the reefs in the north bay may turn something out but would be a long bet - please ensure you take enough spare tackle as you will lose gear on this ground

General

Bait can be obtained at Castlefoot Tackle Shop which opens at 7 am and is located opposite the Toll House around the Marine Drive, tel number 01723 370390, please phone for availability

As there will be a lot of kayaks out in a small area, please take care with anchor lines and also watch out for pot lines

There will be at least one and maybe two safety boats around while the match is on to help with any problems

If you have a VHF we will agree on a working channel before the match so that we can communicate

So far the forecast looks very good, so we are all looking forward to a great day, if anyone wants any more info on the fishing side please ask in this thread and I'm sure you'll get a good response