1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayak Fishing At Runswick And Kettleness

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Sat in the pub at Flyingthorpe having lunch yesterday there wasnt a cloud in the sky so I gave Mike a ring to see if he fancied an evening session up at Kettleness. Mike had often reported of some decent fishing in that area from his speed boat, and reports from other forums were telling of recent catches from that area so we decided to launch from Runswick at 4.30 pm and fish the first few hours of the flood over at Kettleness/Goldsborough area. As soon as I put the phone down in came the fog.

We decided to still meet up and take a look at the conditions at 4.30 in Runswick. As I drove along Sandsend road and through Sandsend you couldnt see more than 100 yards and there was no chance of launching, or so I thought, but as I drove up Lythe bank the fog miraculously disapeared and I could see it below me in Sandsend village as I drove on and up to Lythe. When we got to Runswick there was little or no fog in the bay and it looked to be clearing from the headland at Kettleness so we decided to launch and play it same by mackerel fishing about 300 yards from the beach. With Mikes amazing compass we felt safe that if the fog came down we could paddle quickly to the beach and to safety. We quickly unloaded the yaks at the slipway then moved the cars up to the car park before the man from the council could get a ticket on us.

We spent the first hour fishing in the bay and watching all the local cobbles catching mackerel but strangely myself and Mike couldnt get a sniff and this was how it went on, for me at least, all evening. Around low water we noticed the fog had completely cleared and we headed for the fingers at Kettleness. Once there we set up a drift from the fingers down towards Fillet tail which lies at the northern end of Goldsborough. Mike was straight into fish but nothing big, catching 2 pollock and a wrasse all in the 2 pound size range, but not a sniff for me. As the tide completely died we trolled around with the bass lures but sadly there doesnt seem to be any bass at all in this area and all I managed to do was loose my yo zuri crystal minnow into the kelp. Mike did manage to conect with something which he said was a big pollock but after a brief tussle with it it crash dived into the kelp and that was the end of another crystal minnow (its an expensive game is plugging, especially when there is no fish about). The rest of the evening was spent jigging for cod around fillet tail but again not a sniff other than a couple of mackerel each.

All in all it wasnt the best nights fishing we have had but I guess its all part of a rather steep learning curve. It was nice to get aflaot in an area Ive fished so many times from the shore, it really does look very different from out there. Despite the lack of fish the scenery is quite stunning and easily compensated us for the lack of acion on the fishing front. I think it will be worth launching there again for the scenery alone but I know that at some point there will be some decent fish around this area for us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Cracking report Glenn, I ve just booked a week up your way in a rented cottage for the Scarborough Festival week and will have the yak with me.I m hoping to get out a couple of times during the week as the bays up there look great.
    Just hope the "Indian summer" my mum keeps going on about is actually going to come good.

3. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Great report Glenn and the pictures look ace - the sea really looks inviting on some of them - I take it the waters clear up your way - try the maria angel kiss lure I've not lost of them yet

4. newdave

newdave Guest

obviously not catching any fish because you are to busy taking ace photo's Glenn. does Sambo know you were sniffing round his pigsty :happy:

yet :wink:

5. Baramundi Bob

Hi Iain, the water is crystal clear in that area. I could see the hokeyes working on the bottom. I will be buying some new lures in the next few days including the maria chase and a storm thunderstick. Are you able to troll the maria chase ?

6. quint

Yes it works for bass and seagulls alike :laugh:, seriously though you have to watch it cause the birds dive for it as it's only shallow, I think Ramrod find this out last year, he thought he'd hooked a monster bass but it turned out to be a monster Fulmar :laugh:

7. Baramundi Bob

Them things are evil, did it spit at him ?

8. quint

yeah he covered the poor bird in saliva :surprise:

no to be honest I don't know what bird it was just remember him chuntering about a bird taking his lure

9. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

You need to be picking the ramrods brains Iain for his methods perhaps get a "bird" to take your lure ! :canadian: :canadian: :canadian:

10. Jem

Jem Blenny

Went out yest eve for a few hrs at a spot nr the gare, was using the chug bug/yo-zuri mag popper (these buggers fly) and the turns luv them no sooner did they hit the water they were after the buggers :laugh: :laugh: came close twice to hooking the blighters pmsl , tried all plugs last nite without any joy, one thing i did notice though where i was the spratts were leaping well clear of the surface so summat was after them but i had no joy, gunna have to get out with my waders on and try some other spots :cool:

11. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

use a bigger lure :laugh:
    The shallow divers can be a problem when trolling and as jem pointed out the yo-zuri mag poppers are bird magnets :whistle: with the maria chase lure you are usually ok once you get going and don,t paddle too slow. The crystal minnows I feel go deeper than they say on the packet.
    Great report BB!

12. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Excellent report/pictures Glenn. The mist/fog rolling down/up the cliffs looks great :cool:

13. wildcard

wildcard Guest

Ran the boat out this morning (3 of us) fished from Saltburn to Skinningrove launching at 4.am. Fished storm shads of different colours without a take.

We ended up with a good box of cod biggest 6lb 9oz using red or orange hockeye type lures tipped with a sliver of squid. Unbaited lures were untouched all day.

I took 3/4lb of good rag which on the day didn't do the business. My mate kicked my ar*se all day using squid.

BTW we were plagued with pouting. Plenty of mackeral there still if you want them.

wildcard

14. Dav

Dav Rockling

Im was thinking along the same lines , them lures usually benefit from a fast retrieve , paddle harder glen ..... :cheesy:.......if you dont find a lure that suits the ground ure on glen and ure still catching the tops of kelp ,. rip the front lip off the lure and you should be right ....... :laugh: :laugh: