1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayak Fishing At Mull of Galloway 6th / 7th June 2008

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Lindisfarne, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

An early start and a trouble free journey on Friday morning ensured we were afloat for 10am. First shot was Ardwell in Luce Bay. We put in at Chapel Rossan and made our way out to the North most Yellow Buoy......

[​IMG]

A reliable source had informed me that the Tope had left the Bay for the moment, but with such a flat calm sea and a lovely day we thought it was worth a look regardless.

After three hours at anchor with very little to show, I concluded that my source was indeed correct and the Irish sea might be a better option. All we caught were a few dog fish, gurnard, a Thornback and copious amounts of Mackerel.

A quick load onto the trailer then a move over the peninsula took us to West Ardwell then down the old track to Ardwell Bay. Again we were welcomed by a flat cam sea and the promise of better things, or so we thought......

[​IMG]

After admiring the local scenery, topless bathers ! , We paddled out and caught the the South going stream and fished our way down to Doon Castle, and then on to the Mull of Logan. A fruitless journey really, with more doggies and a few Pollock to show for our efforts. Eventually we turned in the middle of Logan Bay and headed back to Ardwell, against the tide, a hard slog which is still hurting my shoulders now.

Next was plan C, a move to Port Logan , then bivi for the night to give us an early start on Saturday morning. We arrived at Logan just as the sun was setting ...........

[​IMG]

A quick unload from the trailer and we were ready for an early start the next morning. Some drift wood was procured and as soon as there was flames, supper was on to cook. A handfull of whelks, a Mackerel and a Grey Gurnard was on the menu, washed down with half a litre of Whiskey. Head down and lights out.

[​IMG]

Next morning we had a quick breakfast and set out in search for a Haddock to take home for the Tea. A quick paddle out to the ground and we were in Business, at last something had fallen into place. After two drifts we had enough sized ones for tea and some for the freezer....

[​IMG]

On a roll now our next move was to Clanyard Bay for a shot at the Gurnard. Yet another tick in the box as this was successful as well...

[​IMG]

From there our last move was going to take us to Gounie Head to coax a Pollock or two out of hiding. A few casts later we nailed that one as well, nothing big though, 1 lb being the average . The tide was a bit of a battle here with standing waves and a fresh breeze from the NW so we made a hasty retreat back into Logan Bay for a final shot at the Haddock before heading to shore for lunch..

[​IMG]

In all, a good wee trip, twenty seven miles paddled and a bit of exercise to hone a few millimetres off my man boobs. I think a smaller tide would have helped us on the fishing front but you can’t always have everything right.

Neil.

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: Mull of Galloway 6th / 7th June

Nice report Neil, shame you never managed a tope as I would have like to have seen that. The Haddock look good and thats the first time Ive seen anyone manage to catch one of them in a Yak. Scenery looks amazing too.

I also note your kayaks are Orange, a very popular colour so Im told :wink:

3. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Re: Mull of Galloway 6th / 7th June

Great report Neil, it looks great ground for yakking over there - and I wish I had seen this earlier as it would have saved me 20 quid at Millets tent section :whistle:

4. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

There's a Sunrise, Mango and a Flame there Glen, All good colours. But we have green ones for using on the East coast. You need green for cod fishing,nothing else works... :cheesy: :cheesy:

5. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Great report again Neil. I fished just the other side of that pier years ago and only caught a couple of Gurnard :embarrass: at least the cod stocks have had time to recover on the east coast while you,ve been away :laugh:

6. newdave

newdave Guest

Whilst Neil was catching those lovely Haddock, me & my missus were round the next bay conserving pollock, by not catching any :no: A real shame i did not meet up with the lads, some guy in the pub told me that "some lunatics had been way out to sea in tiny little Kayaks" :laugh: Apart from the disappointment of believing the met office and not taking the Kayaks & missing Neils PM, it was a smashing weekend, certainly is a lovely part of the country. Thanks for a great Report Neil, here are a few of my pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

Just read this at work and the whole office gathered round to admire your pics Dave, Stunning !

Second last one got the vote though, superb... :yes:

Neil.

8. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

If that first one of Marion in the sunset doesn't win the photo comp I give up - in fact both of them - they're great

9. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Yes they fantastic, and with Robs picture of the mist at bempton i dont think I'll bother getting the camera out this month :cry:

10. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Excellent report and pics from you both :yes: most impressed.

Dave the sunset pic second to last is absolutely stunning, done yourself proud with that shot :cool: :yes:

11. congerball

congerball Blenny

Great report and photos, well done.

12. Maxie

Maxie New Member

was up at dunskey castle for an hour on monday and it was hard work,dont think the pollack were having it for some reason,it was slow all day.even when i had a fish the fight was a bit lethargic.thats fishing i suppose :no:

13. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

What a great post, and the pictures are brilliant! well done, absolute quality :cool:

14. woody

woody New Member

exellent photos good report ! :cheesy:

15. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

Another couple of pics from the weekend,

Ardwell bay, There was some very big Mullet wheeling on the surface when I came in as the sun was going down....

[​IMG]

And Port Logan, looking out over the sand. Can't lay claim to these two pics, they were taken by my brother, Brian ....

[​IMG]

16. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!