1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KAYAK COURSE - Kayak Safety, and a bit of a social gathering.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Dorado, Mar 8, 2009.

1. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

think it was ken that had that whiskey he was drinking it like his life was depending on it :laugh: . as you said simon ken did some fantastic food on saturday, but them smoked sausages were nice as well as that fish, nice to meet you simon

2. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Yes it was a great event ,i was pleased to meet you all ,John ,hellen ,paul,ken,matty,and the rest of you kayack mad fishermen :surprise: who were there on sunday,you never know i may join your band of enthusiastic yackers :whistle: even though i was not on the water the pre soaking talk was very informative :educated: carry on the good work ,OH and well done ken on your plaice :cool:

3. Dorado

Dorado New Member

It was a dab with measles.......

4. johnhelen

johnhelen New Member

5. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Heres a pic of the sea at 7am on the sunday before the wind got up
    [​IMG]
    Sunday course goers (at a bit of a distance) also in shot are the makings of some pretty hefty kelp beds
    [​IMG]
    Kayaks ready for a bit of fishing
    [​IMG]

6. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

those kelp beds looked very nice didnt they

7. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

they certainly did, they will be getting my full attention on friday or saturday....if the weathers OK, they stretch from the yacht club all the way round to kettleness, Im sure that the outskirts of them will hold a few hungry predators....we'll soon see anyway

8. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

Good luck Ben with your hunt but watch out for the bait pinching lobsters :cheesy:

9. johnhelen

johnhelen New Member

well back to normal now ! here are a few pics i took of the fantastic weekend, once again lads many thanks ,and cant wait to meet again

1st ..Yorkshiremen have bad dress taste :laugh:
    [​IMG]
    our newyaker getting ready :yes:
    [​IMG]
    paul showing the basic steps to a self rescue :educated:
    [​IMG]
    Andy Andy and neil....... no im not stammering :ugly: :secret: :vomit:
    [​IMG]
    the flare demo begins :educated:
    [​IMG]
    Chris setting off a mini light :surprise:
    [​IMG]
    matty and Rich setting off a couple :blindfold:
    [​IMG]
    ken and Ben having a play :yes:
    [​IMG]

top marks to everyone, stay well and tight lines

john & helen :kiss:

10. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

good pictures john and not every yorkshire men dress like that he was just trying to make you feel at home :laugh:

newyaker top bloke true yorkshire man

11. bigfat

bigfat New Member

thanks john for the pic :no: ,when do you want your shorts and shirt back, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: you cheeky whippet loving Southerner :wink:

12. johnhelen

johnhelen New Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

great reply Andy..... i want a whippet now ...they ar reet cool :laugh:

13. Dorado

Dorado New Member

Whippet x Bedlington...proper dog!

14. darnsarf

darnsarf Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Just a few words about the weekend.

Courses went well with a good mix of banter and real effort. Both days threw pretty unpredictable conditions at us, Saturday was gusting on shore up to a 6 at times (according to the local rescue crew) and Sunday was gusting offshore at least the same. Throw in a thunderstorm on Saturday afternoon for good measure with a good downpour to boot and..... you get the picture. Just to be fickle we all came away with Drysuit suntans.

The weekend started with a Friday evening team building exercise............The results were so good J & H slept in the van.... :whatever:

[​IMG]

Runswick slipway was the meeting place on Saturday. Here’s Simon casting his eye on the area's training potential. Or is he looking at those rocks and thinking Coalie on the fly? :tease:

[​IMG]

I was a bit busy for the duration of the course and I will let others post pictures of the activities but the paddle back just after the lightning strike was wet and interesting......... :scare:
    Andy,

[​IMG]

And Ben.. ( I think)

[​IMG]

Here is the bay 15 minutes later.. :cool:

[​IMG]

Sunday, featured Tony from Redcar RNLI who kindly put on a flare demo........

[​IMG]

Yorkshire’s finest pyromaniacs were only too pleased to assist...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was one occurrence on Sunday that highlighted how a small detail can make all the difference. During assisted recovery drills one paddler slid off his yak on the upwind side, turned to grab it only to find that the strong offshore wind had already taken it out of reach. Within a minute the kayak was more than 50m away. He was still holding his paddle but like some others he had decided to leash it to his wrist rather than the yak. In this training environment it just meant that he spent a couple of uncomfortable minutes clinging to John’s yak while I towed his back. Needless to say had he been solo at sea this small detail would have been the difference between a story over a pint and a serious Mayday. I am pretty sure he will be leashing his paddle to his yak from now on. Then that is the point of the course.

Thanks to everyone, it was great to hear everybody talking proper for a change and the fish and chips weren’t bad either. John even saw a real Whippet and eventually found one person that actually did say “chuffin”. :surprise:

Andy from Staithes RNLI wants me to pass on thanks from the crew and how impressed they were with everyone’s attitude. The £500 raised should see us in credit for some time to come.

Hopefully we can do it again next year. :cheesy: :cheesy:
    Paul

15. carpyken

carpyken New Member

John n Helen are sending us up a cheque for the Staithes lifeboat for £500, would anyone be interested in presenting it with us? And for all those who copped out of this one, it'll be happening all over again at Sharkatag, you've read the reviews, you've read the reports, get yourselves on it. :cheesy:

Ken

16. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!