1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayak competition! - KAYAK FISHING COMP

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Ramsrod, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Right lads I,m just testing the water here. A kayak fishing comp was suggested at a scarborough fishing festival meeting but I need to know how much interest there is out there. It could be heaviest bag or fish with boundries from say Buriston to Knipe point. These are only suggestions then there are things like paddling/fishing time maybe even pairs. Let me have some feed back and spread the word then we,ll go from there if there,s enough interest. Regards Ray.

2. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Re: Kayak competition!

Wicked ;D - deffo up for that - without going into too much detail at the moment the only concern is it is so weather orientated - maybe there could be several sites as the weather dictates - in the meantime I'll start sourcing an electric motor ;)

3. carpyken

carpyken New Member

I'm in....time i got this tub out of dry dock...

4. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

The weather as always will dictate procedings. It would have to be kept as simple as possible, maybe first Sat but if weather is bad make it 2nd Sat, remember the brochures are printed well before the matches take place and rules need to be decided prior to this. Maybe it would be better to fish pairs for saftey reasons. The more suggestions and anglers involved the better.

5. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Definately agree on the pairs idea, people shouldn't be going out on there own. Also as you say the weather can have such a bearing, I would recommend keep it simple, start with just a knock-up within a certain area...just say for instance South Landing to Sewerby (Sheltered). All launch from the same point and weigh in from the same point. How many yakers have we got on here Ramrod?

6. smokey

smokey Rockling

Sounds like a great idea,cannon fodder for me cps and ziggy,tight lines lads ;D ;)

[​IMG]

7. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Not enough really Ken but we need to spread the word. Volusians and Macky's site would be obvious places to test the water. Maybe it would be preferable to hold it around the Scar area ideally as it,s the Scar festival.

8. quint

To keep it simple and safe maybe it should be fished around the Marine Drive - descent ground and safety in numbers - initially for the first year - just see how it goes from there - I would have thought that the first dedicated Kayak comp around here would attract at least 30 maybe more competitors - would it be feasible then to have a "festival" boat out in case there are any difficulties? I'm just thinking of keeping it as safe as possible - launch sites, North Bay, South Bay or Harbour?

9. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Ye sure, maybe we should have a knock up or two first....test the water so-to speak.... introduce match fishing to kayaking ( or vice-versa) When are you thinking about mate, what dates is the festival - sorry for my ignorance?? Might be worth us taking a leaf out of some of the dingy sailers books, for instance the Filey lot have set dates ect for their sailing tournaments but Filey Bay is sheltered and was only really disrupted by the (land) floods this year. Were as the best kayaking fishing grounds are affected by sea state, tide and weather.

10. quint

Watch it Smokey - you've seen the Bond movies - I could silently board your punt and carve you up in my wetsuit ;D

11. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Well said Quint........ ;D

Safety boat an obviouse good idea. Its definately worrying but yes exciting.......suppose the problem is that it is unchartered territory - it has not been doen before.

12. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

You must have read my mind Ray, I made a post to one of the kayak forums last week enquiring if any one had any knowledge of organising matches as I was thinking of trying to organise something for the coming summer. I wouldn't mind helping out with any organising of the event if you needed an extra pair of hands. I don't have a lot of money but I'd gladly contribute to the prize fund too. ;)

13. newdave

newdave Guest

count me in Ramrod, be nice to take part in a competition that i had a chance in. :p

Smokey, if you not getting a kayak you will need one of those airboat things to follow us, otherwise you will be on the rocks :-*

14. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

The drive would be an obvious choice of venue but probably better to keep away from the harbour as there is a lot of "holiday traffic". North or south bays should be fine, north will be quieter with better parking. The saftey boat would be wise.
    Any help would be appreciated Glenn if we can all muck in and sort out the basics between us as soon as poss it can be put to the commitee at the next meeting then go from there. It,s difficult to get any idea as to how many will fish it at this stage as we need some details first before we can advertise it.

15. newdave

newdave Guest

I reckon it would be such a novelty to most people we could easily get some sponsership, mass launch on the North bay ?, Jellyworm will be in charge of crown control ;)

16. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

;D ;D

17. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Jellyworm will be taking part as an angler Dave I ve pm'd you.PLEASE READ.

18. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Well up for this guys, can we have prizes for best turned out Yak and most impressive manouvres.....I'm takin mine to the baths this weekend.........I will roll this lump of plastic if it kills me ;D ;D, fishfinder and rods left on the bench tho...

19. Dav

Dav Rockling

Esh ramrod......you take all us rock anglers money ,,,,now your moving onto the yakkers......tut tut ;)

20. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

One of the festival days will be a good one especially after the rather heated debate that happened this year ......lol....when a match outside the festivals was arranged adhockon another forum... :p :-[ ;D
    Keep everyone happy that way and reflect all aspects of angling in the festivals.
    Nice one Bubba. ;D