1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayak Coaching Course Sat 30th June

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by johnl, Jul 2, 2012.

1. johnl

johnl Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi
    I would just like to express my thanks to the organizers and coaches for this course.
    I had a enjoyable day that boosted my confidence a lot.
    The explainations were clear and pitched at the right level,for me anyway. I was particulary intrested in the way the trim was demostrated and how we baselined the forward paddle before and after the training.
    I started to get an understanding for my kayak.
    The anchor and drogue section were especially useful for me, as I have read it many times but when you see it demonstrated the mist clears.
    Rescue training was fun and I was impressed with the assisted rescue for tired or injured paddlers

All in all, a great day I learnt a lot
    I learnt a couple of things on sunday morning as well but that another story.

Thanks for course, I would highly recommend it

2. andym

andym Rockling

Good to see you there John and can only echo what you have said those assisted rescue techniques were an eye opener and have learned a few new things and also adjusted my anchor set up that I thought I was happy with ever so slightly to an even safer method now.

The course has made me want to seek out further courses to try and better myself paddling wise

3. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Sounds like it was a great day for everyone involved in the course. If there is another next year I'll make sure I'm on it, the assisted rescue sounds worth knowing (now that Matty struggles to stay on his yak these days!).

4. andym

andym Rockling

Yes but under competition circumstances the assisted hold under water technique would be better :whistle:

5. Easy Yakker

Easy Yakker simply messing about in boats

Two really good coaches, lots of variety, loads of new information and some good advice on how to get out of sticky situations . I enjoyed it a lot and it was perfect training for the match! I have now ordered one of those really useful looking towing ropes as well.

6. andym

andym Rockling

Great stuff Nigel next time I see you out I'll stow my paddle and let you try it out just getting used to being dragged back to shore by you mate

7. andym

andym Rockling

A few more pics from the course

[​IMG]

me just minding my own business before Nigel (Easy yakker) did this to me

[​IMG]

look at him just pointing and laughing

[​IMG]

Making me stay in the water threatening me with his paddle until I was close to hypothermia

until after a couple of hours he started feeling sorry for me and helped me back on board

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks to George (Spud) for the pics

8. newdave

newdave Guest

sorry to have missed this, sounds like Kim had really worked hard on this & brought a few new ideas to the party. £30 for a day with a 5* coach off his standing, ably assisted by our own superstar must be the bargain of the year. well done to all who took part :cool:

9. vrs_1

vrs_1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hi
    i would also like to say my thanks to ken and kim for a fantastic day i learned a lot and and the rescue training will stay with me forever as these were things i would have never thought of. i was also impressed with the anchor and drogue techniques as this was something i had not tried as yet but practice in a safe enviroment filled me with confidence and i feel i would be able to anchor without a problem now although i did manage to get andys anchor stuck SORRY !!! .
    all in all i had a great day and met some great lads and i am sure we will meet again out on the water sooner or later.

i would recomend the course to anyone no matter what level you are at .

hope to see you all soon

regards
    mark

10. sambam

sambam Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i too went on the course and had a great day and learned alot, i had never even been on a kayak but after a few emails to fi she sorted me a kayak, drysuit, PDF and paddle to hire for the day, i felt abit of a noob when everyone turned up with thier own gear but was made to feel welcome all the same,

after reading about kayak fishing for a few months i started getting more interested then i seen the course advertised and decided it would be perfect for me, i could get hands on experiance and exellent saftey trainning before even getting my own yak, now i know i have to have one

all the stages where explianed clearly for a total novice like myself, getting shown anchors and drouges was easier than just reading about them, self rescues and assisted rescues all explained clearly same as all the saftey aspects

a BIG thankyou to fi, ken, kim and all those who helpped run the event, shame about the weather for the match i was going to come down for a nose at the weigh in

thanks again sam

11. andym

andym Rockling

It was good to see you there Sam if you need anything regarding info advice when getting your gear together just shout up Ive got a spare paddle and a few bits you can borrow if you need them

It could have been a very expensive mistake you made by having a paddle of Ken's Dorado though :cheesy:

12. sambam

sambam Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

thanks andy much appreciated, i did like the dorado but felt abit closed in mabey because im short, just trying to convince the mrs that a kayak is more important than a holiday this year :cheesy:

13. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Just tell the misses that if you buy a kayak then win the Runswick kayak match you can have both a yak and a holiday :wink:

14. andym

andym Rockling

Yes you are right about the Dorado no where near as good a fishing platform as the prowlers and such but the performance more than makes up for it