1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayak And Sib Fishing - Porbeagle Sharks close to shore?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by andym, Jun 2, 2014.

1. andym

andym Rockling

Probably one for Rupert to answer or Spawney

I know when you target these you tend to be steaming a good way offshore but is it only few and far between that they come and hunt close to shore have heard a few reports of them following pots up to the surface and also the well documented one just off Staithes just wish I could select a nice small 40lber like in Ruperts report to practice on lol

2. cps

cps Rockling

Re: Porbeagle Sharks close to shore?

think there visits inshore are few and far between
    angry brutes when on the hook
    [​IMG]

3. 1LASTCAST

1LASTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

They do come inshore as Dave (Lucy May) photographed one about two mile off flamborough head they are there but don't think I could target them specifically so close in ,May have a very long wait!!

4. rupert

rupert Blenny

There have been sufficient sightings in recent years to say without question that porbeagles do roam inshore in the north east, although I've blanked on the handful of missions I've had so far, within 5 miles of the coast.

About 5 years ago, I did have one shark come up the chum trail and sniff about the stern of the boat, without taking a bait, about 8 miles offshore and that's the closest in I've personally seen them.

I concur with CPS and agree that they appear more plentiful further offshore however.

5. andym

andym Rockling

Cheers for the info needle in a haystack springs to mind

6. Spawney-Dave

Spawney-Dave Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

having experienced a baby of about 100lb I would say don't even contemplate it on a kayak Andy ;D

7. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

What about on a SIB Dave

8. rupert

rupert Blenny

The problem is they just don't sit quietly waiting for you to unhook them!

I wouldn't fancy dealing with one on a kayak or SIB. Have a look at this video taken on my boat last year.

http://vimeo.com/72027630

9. Welsh wizard

Welsh wizard if you don't know you don't need to know

Shark have a look at this I no it's a great white but they could all do this
    I tried to copy Andy stone houses link but it wouldn't let me on my phone
    http://video.uk.msn.com/watch/video/shark-attack-great-white-attacks-inflatable-boat/2uxeudzt7

10. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

it certainly seems like a great way to have a really...really bad time, I think that hooking them (although it may take many trips to get lucky enough) may be the easy part. I know they arent known for killing people or anything but really, getting an angry mess of serrated teeth near an inflated watercraft sounds like a poor decision.

Would be brilliant to see it pulled off successfully but I don't think it would be worth the risk