1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KAYAK ANCHORING - How to safely anchor your kayak

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by newdave, Feb 22, 2009.

1. newdave

newdave Guest

there are still a lot of the lads who are either unsure how to anchor or nervous of trying. since changing kayaks to the Dorado i have found that i needed to chang emy method & spent some time yesterday ironing out my system. for those that are intersted the following is my method.
    [​IMG]
    200ft 3mm cord
    small buoy from chandlers
    1.5kg anchor
    a pair of small spinnaker clips
    this rig is for anchoring in a maximum of 70ft on hard ground, if you intend going deeper you need a minimum of 3 times water depth & a sandy bottom might need some chain to keep it on the bottom.
    [​IMG]
    in order to make the anchor trip during recovery i rig it like this, the cheap tiewraps break easily if you put a small nick in them before deployment.
    [​IMG]
    the complete rig, the wooden handle is just for storage and could just as easily be a divers reel or whatever pleases you, the spinnaker clips mean its a 2sec job attaching or removing the bouy.

a common problem when deploying the anchor is tangles whilst paying out, my solution to start from the other end, that is to secure the end of the line on the yak, i have 5m of line before i clip on the buoy, then sit the anchor on your lap and pay out all the line so it is trailing behind in a loop, the polyline does not tangle but if you are worried about that you could even let the top end go & the buoy float behind you, its then just a matter of paddling to the location you want to anchor & dropping it in. no tangle and you drift back with all the line already deployed until the anchor grips.
    [​IMG]
    the main advantage of the buoy is you can release from the anchor quickly, after passing the line through the anchor trolly i like to secure the end with a gibbs clip as this will release even with weight on it. because of the Dorados deep seat position i prefer to anchor stern to the tide, this gives problems when recovering so i have come up with a solution.
    moored stern first i find it hard to back up and turn the yak, with this method i can drop the line the come back head to tide & pick it back up.
    the main dificulty recovering is that you need to paddle uptide and spool on the line, some exsperimentation has provided me with a safer method.
    I pick up the end again & paddle uptide retrieving some slack, but leave the bouy and all the line in the water, once uptide of the anchor position i pull up until tight and a few sharp tugs will usually break the tiewrap and invert the anchor for recovery, if you have a problem and find you are starting to broadside you only need to let go. provided it lifts clear just lift the anchor and sit it on deck whilst you recover thee line at your leisure.

there may be better ways than this & i am sure its not the final solution but it works for me & gives you an easy escape if it goes wrong.

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Re: kayak anchoring

thanks for the info dave

3. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

great info

thanks

4. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

what diameter bouy are you using dave?

5. newdave

newdave Guest

about 10" is fine, they are a bit of a problem to carry, but if you go too small it might go under in the tide

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I would like to do a site page on uptiding from a kayak. With your permission Dave I will include this information on the page as a permanent resource for people to refer to.

7. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Nice clear explanation Dave...I m about to start rigging the Dorado and you've given me a few bits to think about there.

Cheers Jellyworm.

8. GJW

GJW Rockling

Thanks Dave, anchoring in the yak is something that i have been thinking about, thanks for sharing your method with us.

9. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Cracking system Dave as it takes away some of the dangers associated with anchoring a yak.

Ken

10. Dav

Dav Rockling

Thanks for them tips dave , altho i am gona wait till i have me sea legs before i start anchoring.....

11. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Brick theft related crimes will now plummit in the area.

12. robq

robq Rockling

Simon ( Dorado ) has an interesting way of rigging his anchor :yes:

I cant remember exactly how it works but it allows you to paddle upstream and trip the anchor an pull it up folded and inverted which is easier than pulling it up in the deployed position.

It doesnt use a weak link at the top of the anchor but instead has a ring that slides along the shank of the anchor.

Simon would be better explaining how it works !!

Rob

13. kipper

kipper New Member

what are the advantages of anchoring as opposed to free drifting?

14. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

:surprise:

15. carpyken

carpyken New Member

We drift in the summer mate when using jellyworms, lead heads and other arteficial baits but in the winter the best methed is up-tiding, ie anchor a bait to the bottom and wait for a fish to come along take your bait, trip the lead and hopefully hook itself - very much like fishing off the shore - in fact i use the same baits and terminal gear as when fishing off the rocks
    Ken

16. carpyken

carpyken New Member

BUT brick theft crime is now escalating in the area :cheesy:

17. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

i hope your not refering to me glenn??? :wink: :cheesy:

18. newdave

newdave Guest

OK Simon, i have showed you mine lets see yours :kiss:

thats why i put this up Rob as not many people are happy with the operation, if there is a better way we will be glad to see it. Although anglers afloat have a section on rigging the anchor trolly the method they use to deploy the anchor using a reel has me confused, hence i devised my own method, if there is a better way it would be nice to see it. :yes:

19. steerser

steerser Blenny

it's called an alderney ring, we've used it from the boat for a few years now.
    it's just a stainless steel ring that you attach to your bouy with a short length of rope.
    drop the anchor through the ring, and let out your warp (three times the depth you are fishing in).
    when you are ready to move marks, just paddle uptide away from the bouy, it will get pulled under in the tide and trip the anchor...keep paddling and the anchor will surface, and hang itself in the ring..works well in a boat..not certain about a yak..

20. robq

robq Rockling

Hi Steerser, No its not that method, I have seen that one done on the charter boats before though.

This is just about how the anchor itself is rigged :yes:

As I say I can't remember exactly how it works but when Simon catches up on this thread I am sure he will enlighten us :happy:

Rob