1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Out Of Interest

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Feb 26, 2010.

Tags:
?

Do you know who your angling reps are on the North Eastern Sea Fisheries Committe, And Do you Know T

1. Yes I know Who The Angling Reps Are

2.8%
  2. No I have no Idea Who They Are

68.1%
  3. Yes I know The Purpose Of NESFC

8.3%
  4. I really Do Not Understand What They Do Or Why !!

62.5%
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

So what do you know about NESFC. Please place your votes. Please do not give away the correct answer untill voting coses tomorrow.

2. PNGWIN

PNGWIN New Member

Not a clue to be honest, who they are, what they do, or what the are able to do .

3. carpyken

carpyken New Member

I really Do Not Understand What They Do Or Why !!

To be honest I cannot get my head around any of the organisations, politics or threatening issues that seem to be affecting us.

Maybe we need an unbiased idiots guide for the likes of me :clown:

A diagram would be good :clown:

Ken

4. Tommy

Tommy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I only know because I have been on the web site of the NESFC and lots of other web sites to find out about SFC,s and I know from minutes of meetings about who is on the committee and if they have angling interests. I Am going to the next committee meeting so it will be nice to put faces to names and see what goes on. :suspious:
    Tommy

5. Baramundi Bob

Ok, that was quite an interesting little poll. Basically noone knows about the committee. I can not remember who represents us anglers at the moment. I know its 2 from this 3, but not sure which : David Ballington (Site Member), Jon Whitton (Site Member), Stuart Mcpherson (Site Member).

Maybe 1 of them could fill us in on the details of what the committee does. I am aware there are also changes ahead when the committee become known as IFCA they will also take on responsibility for tidal estuaries.

6. mick webster

mick webster Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I sent an email to some jobsworth at this nesfa place in Brid with a request for him to fax me a free licence to fish one crab pot, and they didnt' bother to reply!

7. burbidgetodd

burbidgetodd Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

out of interest what is it these guys do ? sorry if it seems a stupid question but as i have no idea im now keen to know

8. Baramundi Bob

Its a hard question to answer. I understand they are working on a new website so maybe that will be a little more informative than the old one which is pretty unappealing and explains little in laymans terms. These are just my understanding of the committee and it would be better if we get someone qualified to post exact details.

Area of jurisdiction is Tyne to Humber from shore out to 6 mile. Currently this does not include estuaries, but I think this is about to change.

I was going to say the committee make byelaws, but I think the process is a bit more complex than that. However they are heavily involved in the byelaw process for the area. An example of a recent byelaw is the no take area at Flamborough.

They police the byelaws and national level laws within there area of jurisdiction.

They also do survey work within the area.

9. burbidgetodd

ok so call me and idiot here but im not all that good when it comes to politics and stuff so how does what they do help me the angler

10. Baramundi Bob

Well the jury is still out on that. On a personal note I would say they have done little to help you as yet, but they have done little against us too which maybe isnt such a bad thing (I get a feeling now, that as someone has put us on the radar screen we may have to deal with them a lot more in future). Some people I have spoke to believe they have actually worked against us.

Research has shown that there is a large commercial bias to the actual committees (12 of them around the UK) with angler reps being limited to 2 (often these people are the types who like committees rather than fishing, so have little real knowledge of what we do).

When the Committee metamorphosize into the IFCAS there will be more representation from various types of stakeholders, anglers, greens, bill oddies etc. What will happen to our sport in the future god only knows. I am pleased in some respects that I am getting older and have enjoyed the coastline and the fishing in the way I have without having to be concerned about being hassled by officials in rubber boats. I fear the future holds lots of this.

I hope the philosophy proves right and my Children enjoy a standard of fishing I never knew, but I am very sceptical and can not think of any way how legislating and policing sea angling can ever improve fish numbers and sizes. Sadly I believe the whole thing is a jobs for the boys exercise at the expense of our enjoyment.

Like I say I hope Im wrong but in 20 years time, assuming commercial discards and various other practices are not addressed, I believe we will be in the same position we are in now with regards to fish stocks, but many of your rights to move around the coastline freely will have been eroded.

11. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I ve had a licence for the past three years Mick always sent with new tags each year but I think you have to apply before certain dates ? Did you fill out the actual permit application form ?

The link to it is here:
    http://www.neseafish.gov.uk/nesfc/fishermens_info.html

It is the limited shellfish licence part you need to click on.

12. Tommy

Tommy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Have found then very approachable. Got in touch with chief fishery officer when I wanted some information about committee meetings etc. he told me when next one was and told me next time I was in Bridlington to pop up and see him at there main office. He also told me about there patrol boat and he could arrange for me to have a trip on it so I could see what they do. Very helpful indeed.
    Tommy.

13. DB2009

DB2009 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I am one of the three on this site.
    My duty to the NESFC is to be impartial (ie not to favour any particular stakeholder or interested party) even though I am a keen angler with over 40 years experience in game , coarse and sea angling.
    I also have a business which is loosely involved with the fish trade.
    The NESFC has had the interest of all stakeholders at heart whilst I have been involved and has been in my opinion very prudent in its decisions which might impact stocks of quarry for commercial and leisure anglers.
    It should be pointed out that the NESFC only covers inshore waters and not the high seas.
    I think that most recreational anglers concerns are from commercial activities that are outside the inshore area and therefore outside the NESFC.
    It is common knowledge that fish stocks out at high sea are under pressure and the discard of bycatch a matter of concern but again these are matters outside the control of the NESFC.
    Therefore please do not assume that the NESFC does not care about these matters because we do.

14. Baramundi Bob

Hi David,

Are you an angling rep on the comittee, or a councillor or ?? Who are the angling reps, is it still Stuart and John ?

WRT your comments on discards. A lot of the discards are also well inside the jurisdiction of the comittee, especially the discards during the herring spawn fishery. This is maybe something you could look at ?

15. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Recreational anglers are only concerned about the diminishing fish stocks. Whether that damage is done by pair trawlers working 3 mile off Whitby or someone past the ten mile mark doesn't matter. It's the damage that counts. The fact that more damage is done offshore rather than inshore doesn't mean the NESFC couldn't do more to help protect inshore waters for recreational anglers.

16. burbidgetodd

so as said in a privious note what desisions have u made for me the plesure angler i dont meen to sound selfish im just curious as to what dissisions and rules are being made for me?

17. DB2009

I am an angler and not a councillor.
    With regard to discards,I think we all agree that the waste is awful but my understanding is that the problem is EU legislation.
    In targeting a specific quarry fish there will be a by catch of some sort even if you use lines.
    The bit that upsets everyone is chucking by-catch over the side as waste.
    On the plus side the NESFC has established an accredited bass fishery and bylaws safeguarding bass nursery areas which are now teeming with millions of small fish.
    Extensive work is being carried out to try and safeguard our inshore resources and I hope this will continue.

18. Baramundi Bob

Hi David,

I thought there was a quota of 2 angling reps per committee ? If Stuart and John are angling reps, wouldnt that make you a third ?

19. DB2009

Glenn

Where did you get that information from?
    Do these other two members contribute to your forum?

David

20. Baramundi Bob

Not quite sure where I got it from David. Yes both contribute here, or have done in the past. To the best of my knowledge they are the 2 designated angling reps on the committee. So either I have the wrong end of the stick, one of them stood down and you took their place, one of them claimed to be an angling rep and wasnt or the quota has changed and there is now 3 angling reps on the committee. Maybe you could clarify how many designated angling reps the committee has and who they are and how we can contact them with our concerns ?