1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Johnshaven, Scotland - Tartan Cod Fishing by Big Cliff..

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by big cliff, Nov 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Crab Nut

Crab Nut Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

always worth waiting for .your reports on your trips to scotland.well done alan .gary . martin .& darren- - really nice that 8lb + gary got your appetite back yet ? we may as well be fishing in the dead sea .as fish locally at the moment- could have gone meself with my lad andycodsnob and his mate col.but didn't fancy a lot of daft olclocks but thanks to them to i still got a fry up -great pics as usual

2. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

we stayed 2 nights in a cottage about 100yds from the sea in johnshaven it cost 130 pounds , so if you divide it by 3 or 4 its
    not bad, theres some cottages in that area on the internet plus BB accomodation

3. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

when i get to your age dave i will have gone off the daft O " clocks :wink: :wink: :laugh:

4. andycodsnob

andycodsnob New Member

I have fished up there in some absolute nightmare conditions but as you can read, it really can be worth it. Me and colin dunstan went up straight after work thursday and conditions were perfect after 24hrs of strong S-SE Winds and went straight to Arbroath pier where we have seen double figure cod caught and this is where col got the 7lber, me as usual got all the mops out of his way!! Over the next 48hrs we fished Usan mains and Seaton of usan again where we have caught or seen doubles in winter and caught or missed loads of small cod. These spots are probably the best chance of a special fish as talking to locals there has been a 23lber and a 4hr bag of 83lb at Seaton of Usan and a 21lber at mains of usan!!!!
    I MUST STRESS the importance of CAUTION at these spots in a heavy sea, they can be VERY DANGEROUS as it is deep water close in and whilst up there i was talking to a lad who had lost one of his pals at Portlethen to a "ROGUE" wave! I personally didn't believe in rogue waves until i experienced one myself at Portlethen and it is Scary!!!!! Tightlines Andy Eland

5. speno

speno Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done lads looks like you all had a good trip nice to see a few nice photos of fish shame you have to travel so far for some fish. :happy:

6. joe123lumbo

joe123lumbo Blenny

some quality pics there :) cracking bunch of fish , well done lads lets hope the fish have followed you back to the north east :wink: :canadian:

7. Crab Nut

Crab Nut Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

quote from big cliff (when i get to your age i will have gone off the daft oclocks) - when i get as old as your jokes al i'm definately gonna hang me rod up.- but you must tell that one about the gorrilla and the dog (class)

8. Tufty

Tufty Blenny

Thank you Big Cliff for a great report cracking photos long drive and effort was rewarded top fishing lads!!

9. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

Inspiring report there lads, some good fishing.

You've given me the incentive to get the shore gear dug out and go for a shot.

Neil.

10. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Wish I lived closer. How many hours is it from Whitby then ?

11. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Brilliant, really inspiring stuff, as Neil says, think its time the shore gear was dusted off :happy:

12. NICKB

NICKB Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Fantastic stuff fellas. :cool: Another reminder to me that the rewards are there if you're prepared to go the extra mile and put yourself out.

13. andycodsnob

andycodsnob New Member

It really is dead easy to get to and can be done in 3.5 hrs out of hours from Teesside. A1 all way to Edinburgh, over the Forth Road bridge, head to Dundee, then A92 takes you past Arbroath and Montrose. Set off at say 6pm and you can be fishing most marks by 10.30pm.............Well worth it!
    Or make it 6am and 10.30am if your a wimp :laugh:

14. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

we clocked around 295 miles from marske to johnshaven via middlesborough it took around around 4.75 hours at a decent pace
    ---- the area offers a huge amount of scope , from sandy / rocky beaches , big rocky outcrops, huge kelp beds , piers, cliff marks its
    got the lot, im sure theres still plenty of marks that havent seen a sinker , most of the local lads dont seem to adventurous, but then they havent needed to be , you very rarely see anybody fishing these marks in the summer ---- BUT please dont think its just a matter of turning up and they jump into your bag , theres still plenty of things to learn and things to take into consideration , but one thing for sure if you get a OS MAP of the area , pick the right conditions IE A EAST / SOUTH EAST / SOUTH WIND , seek a bit of help if required
    you could put yourself in a strong position to have some top class fishing

15. robq

robq Rockling

Great report and pics lads :yes:

Nice to see some cod !!

16. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

If anybody decides to go look for accomodation around ARBROATH , MONTROSE , ST CYRUS , JOHNSHAVEN , GOURDON its around 25
    miles from the first to the last place with scores of fishing marks between them , some flood , others ebb , theres very good breakwaters
    at ARBROATH , JOHNSHAVEN AND GOURDON that are all very good marks on the right conditions , in fact at times were in a quandry with
    which mark to go to , its just a cracking area :yes: :yes:

17. Maxie

Maxie New Member

Some good fishing there,ill be going up myself very soon for a go.
    Was up a few times myself last year sometimes in flat conditions and we did not bad each time would you lads still travel up when its fairly flat or would you wait?

18. GJW

GJW Rockling

I agree Steve, you still stand a chance of catching fish up there when its flat especially early season October/November there is still resident fish in the weed beds, and fresh fish on the tide marks, but you cant beat it when there is a nice sea running it opens up a lot more venues..

Gary

19. rubbish

rubbish New Member

cracking pics and report lads , didnt see any pics of you with fish al , you didnt blank did you :laugh: :laugh:

20. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

i was to busy taking photos of the others every body forgets about me :embarrass: :cry: :cry: :wink: i ended up
    a photo finish for the yellow jersey with shh you know who