1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Johnshaven, Scotland - Tartan Cod Fishing by Big Cliff..

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by big cliff, Nov 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Well just come back from a short trip up to Johnshaven which is in north east Scotland which is about 25mile north of Arbroath, really we decided to try a few new idea's and marks and with the fishing not been to good back home we didnt feel as if we would be missing a great deal, I was joined by Gary (GJW) Martin my son and Darren (DINK) Hanson.

We set off early saturday morning the journey was nearly 300 mile we fished saturday afternoon and all day sunday and came back home this morning, we found the cod biteing at most spots, there seem's to be a lot of smaller codling about this season up there, but we did find a few better ones with Gary getting one 8lb 4oz (which was laid on).. :whistle:

Gary lost his memory card from his camera so all saturdays pics have been lost but we managed to get another card for the sunday session.

Here are a few pic's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Martin with a nice cod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The best cod fell to Gary at 8lb 4oz.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We also caught a couple of conger nowt big best about 5-6lb.
    [​IMG]

If you catch it right you can have some great cod fishing, a match on the saturday night was won with a bag of cod for over 70lb.

It would be nice if it was a little closer to home.

Alan

2. bowesy

bowesy Blenny

Re: Tartan Cod Fishing by Big Cliff..

quality picks and report lads that long drive was worth the effort top fishing lads!!

3. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

great report and some cracking pics too alan, cheers

4. Dav

Dav Rockling

Great post Al, Looks like some great fishing up there , was speaking to guy from up that neck of the woods when fishing north and he was telling me about the big bag of codlings , he also was telling me squid and mussel seem to be a great bait up there also ......Have you gone down the squid route up there ? Cheers

5. bucko

bucko New Member

Nice fishing gents!

6. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Great report Alan, well done guys sounds like the fishing was good up there. Some cracking pics as well, this one is my fav (lovely markings on the Cod):

[​IMG]

7. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Very good session, ,it seems to be the only thing to do ,if you want a cod or two,its up north
    is the place to go,well done to all of you :yes: was it the usual baits then ,lads

8. deecee

deecee Blenny

You guys certainly put the effort and time into your fishing - the results are well deserved.

Thanks for the report and the photos . That cod of Gary's is a beautiful looking fish

9. brocky

brocky Hot Rod !!!

good report lads, at least i know wat cod look like i thought i forgot haha.
    well done gary in getting tht cracker.

cheers lee

10. GJW

GJW Rockling

That Cod was caught at Boddin point and was laid on i never had a bite.... :laugh: it wasnt badly hooked so was returned alive..

We had a good a couple of good sessions at Inverbervie beach and Tangle Ha on that saturday but unfortunately i lost my memory card with all the pics on.
    Our friends Andycodsnob Eland and Colin were up and Andy had a good bag of 13 on the friday night, Col got the best one between them at 7lb 4oz..

I too wish it was a bit closer, it was tireing but an enjoyable trip all in all and the weather wasnt to bad to us which makes a change.. :happy:

11. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Nice one lads nice to see you get some fish for your efforts :yes:

12. congerball

congerball Blenny

Great report Gary, cracking Cod

13. timbo007

timbo007 New Member

Great report and pictures. I need to get my ar*e into gear and head up north!! :yes:

14. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Cracking stuff lads. Once again you have shown us how its done. Its nice to see Garry doing a bit too. I was getting worried he had fallen out of love with his fishing.

15. Woodys Dad

Woodys Dad New Member

Exellent fish and excellent photos , well done lads .Its good to know that there are still cod in the North Sea . Nice one :cool:

16. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Where did you stay guys and how much does it cost ??

17. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello, great report Big Cliff and smashing photos....shame about the memory card but those photos are great.
    Well done lads and as has already been said it's nice to see Gary out again, I always enjoy the reports from you lads, thanks for posting.
    Regards Ian

18. jacfodder

jacfodder Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

nice fish gents.That 8 lbr of garrys is the best looking cod I have ever seen, well done.

19. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

nice 1 guys, looks a great place to fish!! Seems to be alive with cod up there!!!!!

20. Dink

Dink Blenny

Thanks alot for a great weekend and good fishing lads!! Cheers :yes: