1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jellyworms first tope

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by robq, Jul 22, 2015.

1. robq

robq Rockling

http://www.holderness-coast-fishing.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=19147.0

2. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

Wrong topic rob

http://www.holderness-coast-fishing.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=19147.0

3. robq

robq Rockling

Should be right now Dan :)

Bloody copy and paste on tablets ::)

4. rupert

rupert Blenny

and Stickmans too!

Yesterday was the first for both of them...............

[​IMG]

5. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Well done Dave , a lovely fish ---- Ive never had one myself

6. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

here's the report.

After a couple of failed attempts today I finally popped my Tope cherry !

Rob and I launched the sib's from Hornsea this morning with the promise of light winds and fine weather and Tope were our target, neither of us had caught one to date, I d watched friends Dave and Marion both catch one last time out but my run was dropped.
    We spent the first hour or so trying to find some bait, the mackies obliged in the end and we filled a couple of buckets with mixed sizes of the stripey flashes. Once bait was secured we motored further down the coast to the "Tope grounds".

Our plan was to tie the chum bag off to the anchor and tie both sib's together so that we had two pairs of hands should we actually hook one. Baits were soon fishing and it wasn't long befor Rob's rod was away , the first run to a small live-bait Joey Mackerel . We both lept into action stations.....but it wasn't to be the fish dropped the bait.

My turn next and that first proper run will be something that I won't forget in a hurry. A steady click click click, then it just screamed off...." What the feck do I do now ?" I waited but it didn't stop so I tightened the drag up and yes it was on.

[​IMG]

The power of those fish is amazing with three or four really strong runs before she came up to the side of the boat. Then the fun really started, wrestling one very angry tope into the sib, with it twisting and snapping......eventually Rob managed to secure a couple of pictures and get bitten on the thumb into the bargain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We forgot a tape measure so no idea how big it was......other than massive !

That was it though , one more dropped run for Rob but nothing more to the boat. Still well worth all the effort though to feel the power of a Tope.

7. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

Well done we were out on the wall on mistress sharking we got 1 run late in the day that didnt come of anything has anyone else had a go sharking yet this year with any joy ?

8. mww

mww Rockling

Still waiting for weather to get out there Ben...

Well done to Dave, think Chris is going down that way tomorrow, while I work....bah!

Mart

9. cps

cps Rockling

been down today but only 1 run and fortunately the tope master mick landed it , always makes me smile watching a 1 armed man fighting a 40 to 50 lb fish :)
    saw another 2 on the boat next to us and a 3rd on the boat next to them
    not to surprised there wasn't much as a sub 5m tide is no really my preferred choice
    in hindsight should have run off to the wall and gone sharking same millage so would have made no odds to the fuel burn and would have got some haddock's :D
    ben pm me your address and ill send you a check for the Yorkshire fours , normally do the trophy presentation at Scarborough festival presentation [ apology's for hijacking the thread]

10. Slim Jim

Slim Jim Blenny

I thought you never caught many haddocks on account of being asleep ;D

11. mww

mww Rockling

..haha...rumour is he's never seen a live one... :)

12. cps

cps Rockling

very true, its always best to maximise sleep in readiness for a long battle with a big shark

13. limpet

limpet Blenny

well done great fish

14. cps

cps Rockling

one thing that dose spring to mind on tope fishing from a sib is we have some nasty deep scratches through the gell coat on the side of our boat made by tope a chair with a lump missing from the cushion and a ss rod holder with teeth marks on it which is why we don't bring them in the boat very often
    just a thought when fishing in a tube full of air with a soft floor ;D

15. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

Well done Dave - great feeling when you see the "beast" glide into sight after a good fight. I brought mine near the boat (but just too deep to see it) when it screamed off again on another run, just when I thought it was nearly over!
    Thanks to Rupert for taking me and passing his rod for me to play and land my first tope - very generous that ;)

I'd already had a run of my own - but on the bait rod - when a tope took the mackerel I'd just hooked :eek:
    Needless to say, that one smashed me!
    I'm still buzzing and it's four days later ;D

16. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

LOL
    :)

17. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

Just wondering - has anyone caught or fished for tope on "our" coast north of Filey?

It seems strange that no reports come from further north, although I believe they get up the east coat of Scotland.

18. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

The floor isn t an issue as mine has a 4mm deck covering retro fitted over the floor to take care of dropped scissors, knives, hooks or teeth !

I ve got something in the making to offer the tubes protection as well. I must say it was easy dealing with the tope at the side of the boat due to being much closer to the water than when reaching over the sides of Dave's Warrior, once inside though was a whole different ball game !.....Watch this space for a Tope protected S.I.B. ;) ;) ;) (but barbless hooks and release at side of the boat will be the way next time.)

19. mww

mww Rockling

..meant to say, Dave, that when I finally managed to land my fisrst tope, I had a little reckon up, & I'd had around 100 "rod hours" to get it, thats time on the water multiplied by number of rods in the water (we used to try & maximise opportunities by fishing 2 & sometimes 3 rods each... :eek:). You'll be well inside of that, so again, very well done...

Mart