1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jack of all trades!

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by dan the pollock, Sep 26, 2013.

1. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

I was invited yesterday to fish a small still water in search of pike on ultra light tackle by one of our customers Andy Elliot.

I was keen to get a pike on the fly after buying all the gear a few years ago and never really given it a good go.

Andy assured me that id catch as hes never blanked here before.

A rather swift drive to andys house on Wednesday morning, I arrived to the smell of sausages and bacon sizzling away. After a delicious brekkie, the van was loaded and the boat hitched up and we were off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once at the lake andy rowed us into the first bay where I started casting my fly but there wad so much weed I couldnt fish effectively. A quick rethink and we moved down the far side of the lake under some over hanging trees. I changed to the ultra light setup as I needed to be right in the cover and first cast I was in. A small fish maybe 2lb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Further down the drift we encountered more weed so we both opted for small surface lures and every cast the small pike were busting the surface after them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that we'd found a few fish I tried with the fly again. First cast I had a fish follow and nip the tail. Recast at it and bang!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After many jacks and missed takes later we decided to move into a deeper part of the lake to search out a better fish on some deeper diving plugs and jigs. We set the boat up in around 18ft of water and we were into instant action with perch coming to the boat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before we knew it, it was time to leave so it was back to the house for a cuppa .we headed out for an hour on the river in the evening, only had one small fish but andys two sons lost some nice fish at the bank around the 7lb mark.
    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

nice one Dan, great that you've finally got one on the fly :)

3. bucko

bucko New Member

Well in Dan. Looks like great sport.
    It always amazes me how big a lure a perch can fit in its mouth.

4. rupert

rupert Blenny

Good one Dan and Andy

I haven't fished that lake for over 10 years, and when I ran a bait boat over it, the deepest spot I could find was 17' so that pretty much bears up your depth findings.

Folklaw had previously suggested it was bottomless. What a load of cobblers!