1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Its a "Wacky" personal best Perch

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by seaapprentice, Dec 3, 2012.

1. seaapprentice

seaapprentice New Member

Cat ice greeted me as I gazed across a very cold canal waterway. This was to be my last angling session until the weekend of the 21st December. Although the air temperature was hovering around two degrees Celsius I had to make the best of it!

[​IMG]

Due to my wife’s feminine charms I was late onto the icy canal, not launching until 10am. After two quick fifteen minute spells in a couple of swims I located a large shoal of bait fish. Quietly positioning my kayak on the far shelf of the canal, I set about fan casting presenting my drop shot lures amongst the baitfish.

My heart was pounding with anticipation of a take, whilst my head was keeping a realistic level of expectation due to the cold air that forced my nose to drip and nipped at my finger tips.

[​IMG]

Which drop shot rig should I utilize first, the Pike rig with wire incorporated and a wide gape size 1 offset hook or my fluorocarbon Perch rig presenting a variety of worm and stick bait lures?

Six casts were made with the “Pike drop shot rig” as I inched the rig back to my kayak with erratic twitches. Another half a dozen casts were made with the “Perch drop shot” rig presenting last weekends all conquering Scoundrel Worm – Nothing!

A change of lure on the “Pike set up” tempted a half hearted pluck. As hard as I fished that lure, I could not summon any further interest. Maybe a, Senko stick bait on my lighter “Perch rig” would tease the fish with its unique flutter. Again, my efforts were in vain as it appeared my window of opportunity was closing as the fish had lost interest.

Something totally different was required, something “WACKY”. This was to be my last throw of the dice in my efforts to catch this fish. I threaded a Reins wacky worm onto my “Perch drop shot rig” and began working the lure in the water. On my third cast a delicate touch resulted in a strike – FISH ON!

[​IMG]

The fish stayed deep in the boat channel from where it was hooked.

It felt heavy, I was hoping it was a large Perch and not a Jack Pike that seemed to take a liking to my drop shot lures the previous weekend.

[​IMG]

The first glimpse of my quarry as its dorsal spins majestically broke the mirrored surface, a superb Perch.

[​IMG]

Weighed, measured and photographed the capture was a momentous one for me. It had taken me over thirty three years to catch a Perch over the 2lb mark!

[​IMG]

A personal best Perch of 2lb 4oz.

[​IMG]

More photos as usually on my facebook page:

www.facebook.com/manchesterangler ;)

2. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Lovely fish. Wife's feministic charms?!! Hehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. rupert

rupert Blenny

That's a cracking perch, well done. :yes:

Do I see a Greys G-lite rod there? I have the 6' 4-8lb one, which I use with a shimano symetre 750 reel. It's as light as a feather and great for chucking ultralights and small lures under 10 grams.

4. Jacko44

Jacko44 New Member

Hell of a Perch!

Well done on the pb matey!

Jacko.

5. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Cracking Perch Andy, thanks for the report. You worked hard for that Perch so I'm glad that hardwork has piad off.

6. bucko

bucko New Member

That looks great fun- is it the Bridgewater Canal you fish?