1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"It Can All Change" Said the Skipper !!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

One again I was kindly invited by Glenn Stocks to be his guest onboard Sea Otter today. I spoke to Paul last night and he said we would be getting away early so I should be at the boat for 7am.

Well that's the first time Ive seen 7am for quite some time. The Alarm clock rang at 6 and it was a quick cup of coffee before getting ready and heading down to the pontoon.

When I arrived Glenn and Geoff were already aboard the boat, as were Paul and his son Andrew who was also joining us for the day. Paul nipped over to see Rich Ward on Shytorque and then it was out the harbour and off in search of cod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First stop was to be a wreck on the 9 mile named "Flagship". As we arrived the sun was just poking its head over the horizon. It was at that point I realised what I have been missing by not getting up early on a morning. A fantastic sunrise met us as we dropped our gear into the first wreck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tactics for the first drop were mixed, Paul, Geoff and Glenn went down with shads whilst myself and Andrew dropped in bait as directed by Paul.

First strike, as usual went to the skipper, who soon boated a nice pollack which was close to double figures. Then Geoff followed suite with a codling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple more drifts on the wreck yielded nothing more, so we headed out further still. The next stop was a wreck at 18 miles. Three drifts and not a fish. So then off to another wreck, but again nothing. What a nightmare.

[​IMG]

"Right back inside said the skipper". The look on everyone's faces told its own story. We had steamed miles for nothing. "Thats the way it goes" said Paul, "But it can all change".

Glenn quizzed Paul as we headed back to the first wreck we had visited. "What bait should we use ? " asked Glenn. Paul's tongue in cheek reply was "Have you got any miracle bait ?" I then asked Paul what we would do if there was no fish inside. Again tongue in cheek Paul replied "Get the prayer mat out"

An hour or so later we arrived back at the first wreck. We all dropped down with the miracle bait - squid. First it was Andrew who struck into a nice cod, seconds after it was Geoff, soon followed by Paul and myself. All five rods in at once.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next few hours saw us all get into the fish. It was non stop action and squid was doing the business. Then eventually we ran out of squid. So it was back on the shads, and this time they worked. Again we picked off fish 1 after the other, nothing huge but fish upto the 9lb mark were coming up on most drifts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then before we knew it the day was over. Three o'clock had soon come around so it was time to head home. Andrew gutted the fish whilst the rest of us chilled out with a piece of Christmas cake and a drop of Whiskey courtesy of Glenn and Geoff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All too soon we were back in port and another quality days fishing was over on Sea Otter 2. All the fish was packed up by Glenn and Geoff who donated the whole lot to the old peoples charity where they live.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What more can be said, a fantastic sunrise, a slow start and then great fishing, those words of the skipper will always stick in my mind. No matter how slow the fishing is, just remember "It can all change".

2. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Nice report and pictures Glenn,nice gesture donating all the fish to the o.a.p's

3. Captainahab

Captainahab New Member

Great report and pictures Glenn. I recall 2 trips with Paul on successive days 4 years ago very similar to your one today. Fish were proving to be elusive, despite Paul putting in 110% by trying many marks. We ended up on the first day near the Metropole wreck (i think) and for the last hour fish were coming aboard on every drop. They say lightning dos'nt strike twice, but on the next day it was a complete copy of the previous one. Ended up at the same mark where the cod had obviously been waiting for us all day!.
    Judging by your pics, it looks like the weather was kind to you as well. Hav'nt seen the sun shine down here in darkest Essex for ages.

4. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Great story of a day at sea Glenn. Pauls seen it all before, things do change. Nevertheless there must be real pressure on skippers to find the fish on a daily basis. Top pics too.

5. goaty

goaty Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Looks like it was a great day out and well captured on camera! :yes:

6. smokey

smokey Rockling

A fantastic report Glenn :yes:
    What a man Glenn is,sponsoring all kinds of events and donating fish to the local elderly,top bloke :yes: tight lines

7. Dav

Dav Rockling

Sounded like a great day out glen , Some nice pics too . :yes:

8. glassback

glassback Blenny

a great report there glen it makes you appreciate it living by the sea ,getting up early and watching the sun come up .and pulling plump codlings from the depths .it must be a mundane life living in a big city ,but i don't suppose they no much different.

i don't go boat fishing but it certainly makes you want to when you see such a good report and pictures.it,s a hard business to be in but Paul does it proud,maybe one day i will have to have a go.

9. bigbob1

bigbob1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

nice one lads good report ,he who dares wins rodney :happy:

10. bucko

bucko New Member

Ace sunlight, ace fishing- Great stuff Glenn, Paul & Co.
    Not in the slight bit jealous!!!!!

11. speno

speno Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

cracking report mate sounds like a good day out.

12. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

crackin report, nice to see theres a few fish showing still after the last blow we had

13. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Great write up Glenn and some of them pics are top notch, Paul certainly knows his stuff that's for sure, well done

14. driffangler

driffangler Hull City A.F.C "Come on u Tigers"

Great report and pictures and some nice fish as well, looks like you picked a great day weatherwise can't wait to get out with Paul later this year.

15. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Quality report Glenn, with an equally qualified skipper, no substitiute for knowledge bud................

Glenn Stocks, don't know the bloke from adam but what a top bloke he seems, a prime sponser of fishing on our coast and a fantastic gesture with the todays catch............................

16. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

looks like a great day,

tell paul he was fishing those new shads upside down, the hook should come out of the flat side :educated:

17. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Superb report Glenn, really enjoyed reading it. Your photos are really top quality as well mate, well done :happy:

18. TheCodfather

TheCodfather Guest

nice report wth some cracking fish doesnt get any better enjoyed reading that.

19. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Another good day for Paul and his cherter,
    some good sport for all on board as well,

Well done Mr Stocks, deserves his day in the sun,
    hope you have many more great days afloat, :yes:

20. king ling

king ling Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

cracking photos and report glen, killers is never far away with the fish.