1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isle of Whithorn SW Scotland.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bobthedog, Jul 1, 2018.

1. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

I spent the last week suffering the fishing in both Luce & Wigtown bays. It was an early start on the Friday getting up there before 10 am. First thing was a spot of bait digging (not at the Isle it's hard work there), tw0 of us digging for half an hour resulted in five score of lug. That was enough to last most of the week as we have a bait fridge in my mates house.
    The 3 of us opted for a spot of rock fishing as the wind was a little strong to take the boat far. I'm doing the WSF spieces hunt this year and one fish I recently read that was around was a Tompot blenny so that was my target whilst the other 2 spun for pollock. I use a carp rod for float fishing off the rocks, first fish to hit was a small ballan wrasse. The float slid under again this time bingo a tompot blenny the first I'd actually seen.

Tompot blenny.jpg
    It's not the biggest fish but a welcome one.
    Day 2 & we're out in the boat collecting mackerel for bait just outside the Isle. Over the years up there we have found the most successful all round method to be hokkies tipped with mackerel, just about everything will take them. We anchored up & I slid a hole mackerel on the hook after "the big stuff", I was pestered by dogfish at times bringing them in 2 at a time just hanging on to the bait not even hooked. I stuck at it and was rewarded with a bull huss and a tope pup that again wasn't hooked just hung on to the bait only letting go when I swung it over the side.
    Tope pup.jpg
    Day 3 not a breath of wind so round into Luce bay for some mixed fishing. We made a mistake not fishing for mackerel bait at the Isle thinking there would be plenty in Luce. How wrong we were it was hard to find half a dozen for bait. We had a good mixed bag that day with pollock, ling, gurnard, whiting and wrasse but the cod were thin on the ground.
    Luce bay.jpg

Cuckoo Wrasse.jpg

Day 4 we tried a wreck thats 5 mile out. It gave up a few small pollock but the problem was getting past the coalies. Every drop resulted in 3 or 4 coming up on the hokkies, nothing big averaging 1.5lb with the odd one about 3lb.

2. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

Day 5. Off to the bottom of Wigtown bay chasing smoothies & thornies. We anchored up in one of the channels in about 25ft of water. I used a spinning with a 2oz lead & lug on the hook for the smoothies. I put a second rod out with fish bait for thornies. Didn't take long before the rods were bouncing. Smoothies to about 10lb on the lug but we had a surprise with the fish baits, the are was lifting with juvenile tope again up to ten lb. Nothing else got a look in at times a second fish would come up with the hooked one trying to snatch the bait out of it's mouth.
    Bottom of Wigtown.jpg

Starry Smoothhound.jpg

On the way back we stopped off at another weck. The bonus fish off it was a 6lb ling normally you only get them up to around 2lb in this area.
    Day 6, we tried an afternoon / evening session looking for new marks in Luce bay. It was a little strange as we caught fish when the tide was slack but as soon as it picked up the cod & pollock disappeared as if someone flicked a switch.
    The last day found us heading for the sandbanks 3.5 miles off the Isle. We couldn't catch mackerel around the Isle so set off hoping to get them there. It took a while but we finally found some, drifting the banks with mackerel strip we picked up small whiting, dogfish and a couple of small thornies.
    To sum the week up we had a good mixed bag of fish racking up a total of 20 spieces. There was a lack of cod and decent pollock but I think this could be put down to the hot weather with clear blue skies and wall to wall sunshine. As the marks we fish for them are fairly shallow op to about 60ft and I had not seen the water so clear for a long time, you could see the bottom in 30ft.

Luce bay - Edited.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  3. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Sounds like youve had a good week, nice pics as well,

4. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

brilliant report that sea more like a pond
    glad you enjoyed it and some nice pics to boot

5. Davo

Davo Rockling

Smashing report mate. Thanks.