1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isle of skye wintertime

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Dav, Dec 2, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Dav

Dav Rockling

Does anyone have any ideas as to the best tactics for fishing the isle of skye around January time weather permitting ? what could be expected spots to try , bait to take etc.etc
    Thanks

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: Isle of sky wintertime

Id get into the sheltered Lochs Garry. They reckon the big pollack are in there all year and theyll take artificials.

3. Dav

Dav Rockling

Re: Isle of sky wintertime

Cheers ray ;D ;D
    Is that right . What lochs are you talking of Glen this has just been all sprung on me yesterday so haven't had anychance to look it up ? would you bother taking bait of wouldyou just concentrate on lures would it be deep spinning ?

4. Baramundi Bob

Im in love with loch bracadale mate, around roag. Lots of shelter in there and some stonking pollack. Im also told there is all sorts of other creatures in there so bait could be an option but I would deffo be trying plugs and jellies. Have you read our article ?

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/isle-of-skye-sea-fishing

5. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi there,
    Fishing is apparently brilliant in winter, with truly massive, massive skate.
    Loch Slapin is one of the places to hit the biggest ones, in the south of Skye.
    If you are down that neck, give the owner of 'Mary's Thatched Cottages' a call. He used to commercially fish there and told me the skate in Slapin closed their nets on them, and five burly guys struggled to pull them into the boats. 200lb's plus. You can cast out to them from a point almost directly south of Elgol. Nights obviously.
    Again in south, cast off the small spit of headland 100 yards to the right of Elgol harbour, 80 plus yards out. Fairly decent skate in that loch too. Cast towards Cuillins.
    600 yards left of Elgol harbour you can cast into deep water, and I imagine conger and other big fish, who are certainly there in summer months.

If in the north, as Glen says, try Loch Bracadale. Apparently the best casting spot is off 'Bracadale Point'. These are directions of how to get there, from Iain Kirkwood, who runs the Skye fishing website (cool guy, who will give you good pointers all around island, like cod in North East, etc.).

Hi ben,

Ive attached a map showing probably the best mark in the area to get thornbacks and spurdog. If you are driving to dunvegan you pass through a village called struan. Just leaving struan you will see a sign for ullinish on your left hand side. Follow this turning down the road for a mile and you will see a big layby with a cattle fenced area. You can see it on the map as a red dot. As long as you dont block the fence the crofter wont mind you parking there. From here you can see a gate leading to a field. Cross this gate and walk across the field to the fence at the opposite side. Follow this fence to the shore and fish from the left hand side of the point. I would advise wire hooklengths, if you havent any with you then either visit the tackle shop in portree or let me know and I can bring some down to elgol in the morning.

Regards, Iain

As I say, drop Iain a line from his website. He is crazy busy in summer, but can probably come out with you in winter for a pint and some chips!
    Good luck, and enjoy the best place in the country.

6. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

We live in the best place in the country !!!!!! 8) 8)

7. lipslicker

:)
    Best place in Europe, apparently!
    Must admit, I did come back from my journeys to ends of country with a new found appreciation for here.

8. Baramundi Bob

Have you ever been to Skye ?

The only thing that Makes Whitby better for me is the people, the history and the culture. In terms of fishing and Natural beauty Skye is in a league of its very own. I also imagine the rest of the Hebrides is just the same. Truly awesome.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x17sodz_isle-of-skye-sea-fishing-with-the-whitby-bass-club_gaylesbian

https://plus.google.com/photos/111636410475004079009/albums/5937360901946187009?banner=pwa

9. Baramundi Bob

Lipslicker, have you got a map that shows the place you call Bracadale point. Is it near Roag Island ? I would love to try for thornback there next summer.

10. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

We don't have mozzies like eagles either, still the ones on Skye weren't as bad as the bast###ds on Mull, they are not good, at all.

11. Baramundi Bob

Forgot about them fucxers les.

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk 2

12. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Are we back on with going to Skye again then haha

13. Baramundi Bob

Im gonna live on braccadale point for 2 weeks.

14. lipslicker

PM sent.

15. Baramundi Bob

I only want a map which shows bracadale point so I know where it is. Dont need any info or anything as we like to work it out ourselves.

16. lipslicker

Put 'Ullinish Skye' in Google Maps. It comes up marked with an 'A'.
    Bracadale Point is SE of that, at entrance to Loch Harport. SW of Struanmore.
    Follow directions for getting there as per my copied letter from Iain.
    Or drop your email for section of OS map.

17. Dav

Dav Rockling

Cheers Glen and lipsliker.
    Well my fishing time there is going to be very limited as im going with the gf , so will probs only manage a few sessions in unfortunately , Ideally ide really like to maximise my chances of some action , any more help would be great
    ive been going over the isle on google earth trying to follow your directions but seem to be abit lost theres just loads of inlets and laces to fish I reckon ill get a mind overload on and end up fishing in the wrong places ;D.
    If you were to go in jan would it be worth taking the lure rods or would you stick to beach caster also what baits would you take or is bait easily sourced up there .and most importantly what would be the fish to go for that time of year .
    Im reallylooking forward to it now just hope weather plays ball. and fingers crossed get to see the northern lights

18. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

19. lipslicker

One more thing, Dav -
    Take your lady to Talisker Bay. Park up on the road behind Talisker house and walk to the beach. In summer you can get bass there, but I doubt much in winter, so don't bother with rod probably. Just appreciate the beauty.
    Your lady will think you are proper class to have found such an out-of-the-way spot, that is just epic in it's grandeur.
    I imagine she will give you some decent action after that.

20. Dav

Dav Rockling

Hahaha well sussed ;D ;D
    Cheers lipslicker il bear that in mind mate appreciate it .