1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isle Of Skye Sea Fishing - Return Of The Whitby Bass Club - Week One

Discussion in 'All Time Best Topics' started by Baramundi Bob, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: Isles Of Skye Sea Fishing - Return Of The Whitby Bass Club - Week One

[​IMG]

2. the artist

the artist what a view , i think ill paint it or fish it

Re: Isles Of Skye Sea Fishing - Return Of The Whitby Bass Club - Week One

Fantastic tribute Glenn looks amazing on all counts ,
    nice to see and read of good accounts and reports of a decent group of lads enjoying and excelling in something they love doing , well done Dan and everyone else for being there and no doubt will go down in Whitby fishing folklore . thanks for sharing cheers jim

3. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Absolutely incredible.
    And, again, a nice manner of talking about it. Dan sounds the man.
    Man who owns the cottage I am staying in told me they were the size of barn doors, and Dan has showed they are.
    Brilliant.
    So pleased for you all up that end. Sounds as though you are having a blast.
    Sorry about the sun.

4. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

fantastic report and awesome photo/s :) that orange cod is fantastic and the skate !!! how did u get that out dan?
    cant wait to see lobbers at work for a report
    well done lads

5. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

what an amazing week. an honour to spend it with some of the closest people in my life.

The skate hasn't really sunk in yet, still in abit of shock that we managed 2 in the same afternoon.

cant wait to see what the lads manage on week 2. im sure there'll be some real biggies now the tides have started easing.

6. Baramundi Bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjRxzw3tvqg

7. young casper

young casper Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

ha ha loved the patta,,, :D

8. MandolinBanjo

MandolinBanjo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Very impressive fish, what do you actually do with a fish that size once it's landed?

9. Baramundi Bob

Measure it and put it straight back :)

10. MandolinBanjo

I like that a lot, how does it work regarding making a claim for a shire record; would the fish need to be weighed on calibrated scales?

11. Baramundi Bob

Im not sure. Dan is making enquiries. The estimation he got from the shark trust was 208lb, which is a full 40lb bigger than the current record. The weight comes off measurements and then they work it out on a chart.

Dan said he would never kill it to claim a record, which is very decent of him. Either way, it doesnt matter if its written down on paper, Dan is the new Brittish record holder in my eyes, certainly nooone we know of has ever caught a bigger one from the shore.

12. limpet

limpet Blenny

Glenn there has been a few fish caught over 200lb from the shore in recent years though none officially claimed as British records, here's a link to a couple

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/Section/News--Catches/General-News/British-shore-caught-skate-record-broken-/

http://www.planetseafishing.com/catchreports/read/common-skate-shore-record-smashed/

13. MandolinBanjo

That's great to hear, must be incredible to be able to put a fish like this back in the water. A truly amazing creature, impressive angling!

14. Willy Eckerslike

Willy Eckerslike Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great job putting the fish back, would be very old. Remember many moons ago when trawling for prawns in the sound of mull we used to get huge skate, skipper called them blue skate, christ knows what they weighed.

15. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

Just been onto the record fish committee.

Unfortunately I cant claim the record as it has to be killed, but a few years ago they created a NOTABLE FISH LIST for special circumstances such as this.

As skate are now protected, the record will never officially be broken.

Although the internet shows 2 bigger than mine, they have never been registered and im the first person to register a Skate since the UK record in 1994.

In true Bass Club style - 'Officially Unofficial'

16. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Dan record or not who really gives a shit !

That was one hell of an achievement landing the fish on the gear you were using and you should be very proud of yourself.

If killing a fish is what is required to claim a record then surely our sport is all the worse for it.

You have the memories, the pictures and the footage which nobody can ever take away which for me mean far more than any "official " record.

Once again well done on a superb angling achievement.

17. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

that's what I said to the guy at the BRFC this morning and he agreed that its time for change.

18. congerball

congerball Blenny

My God.
    That fish is fooooooking huge. Nice one Dan. Bet your heart skipped a beat when that thing surfaced.
    Unofficially the official record.
    Get more respect for putting it back than a piece of paper you can wave about.

Looked like an amazing trip for everyone involved, I'd be happy just to witness a catch like that. I gather from Glenns post that a lot of fun was had and that's what it's all about. Fishing with close mates doesn't get any better.
    Top fishing and report.

19. imonlycoddin

imonlycoddin Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done dan and faron on 2 amazingly huge fish them pbs are gona tek some beating :D
    and thanks for putting it all together glenn in such detail for us all to read and some fantastic pictures.

20. Baramundi Bob

I spoke to Dan Last week and asked him if he would have killed it to claim the record. The reply was "No way". Same applies to me, how could you possibly kill such an awesome creature that has been down there from before the time I was born. Stuff the official record, we have the unnofficial one. Long live The Whitby Bass Club