1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isle Of Skye - Pollack And Autumn Colours For The Jakes (Officially Unofficial)

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Oct 21, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

[​IMG]

Sea Fishing On The Isle Of Skye - Scotland At It's Finest.

Well were home again and looking forward to getting back into some form of routine after an amazing week on one of the most amazing Islands in the world.

Something someone said to me a few weeks ago about the Isle Of Skye sticks firmly in my mind - "If it wasn't for its remoteness and often poor weather, Skye would be a playground for millionaires".

Well all I can say is thank £uck for the weather as there is nothing worse than a bunch of pretentious ar$es to ruin a place. As we left this morning I was sad to leave once again. Within only a few short days autumn had truly set in around Skye and the Scottish highlands, and I must say the colours here are a sight for sore eyes.

With only the absence of the Maples of Canada this place has autumn scenery you wont find anywhere else in the world. To be able to visit, and fish in a part of the world where you are shocked to see another living being, where you can walk at night and hear nothing, and where you are stuck for words to describe the wonder right in front of your eyes, is a massive privelidge.

Whats more, this is not a privelidge only affordable to those who are fortunate to be blessed with wealth. Just like our visit in summer, a week in Skye came in at under £300 including food and travel. It costs nothing, and is quite possibly the most amazing place I have ever seen.

[​IMG]

Our Journey north started at 5pm in Whitby last Monday when Miff picked me up from home. We drove till 1 am and then stayed the night in The Youth Hostel at Glencoe. We arrived later than predicted due to a 60 mile detour around Loch Lomand, but this turned out to be well worthwhile given that we encountered a rather stunning and enchanted little town known as Invararie.

Driving had been tedious but also fun at times and as we headed across Ranach moor we were met with the site of masses of Stags and red deer.

We Slept like a log that night, but thankfully Miff never told me the story of the Glencoe massacre until the next day otherwise I may never have slept at all.

Tuesday - Neist Point

My Alarm rang at 7am and we were soon up and back on the road. We were greeted by a very cold but crystal clear morning with a heavy dew and temperatures close to freezing. The drive through the mountains was awesome with some of the most amazing scenes you could ever wish to see.

After many stops for coffee and photographs we arrived at our cottage in Colbost around mid day. Quickly we set up base then headed the few miles down the road to Neist point.

It was a beautiful day and as we saw Neist point once again our minds were filled with thoughts of last time we were here, with tope to 35lb, Conger to 25lb, Spurdogs to mid teens, masses of good sized pollack and too many other species to name.

Despite fishing hard for 5 or 6 hours into darkness Neist did not produce for us with only small wrasse and coalies coming out. Perhaps we had been spolit by our summer experiences and perhaps we were expecting far too much of what can be an awesome venue. As dusk fell we had one last cast. I did hook something very large, perhaps a double pollack or a conger but that snapped me. Defeated we decided on heading back to the cottage for food and a chill session.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wednesday Grottbags Island (Ardmore Bay)

Wednesday I awoke early. Miff was not up so i decided on a walk around Colbost. The sunrise was sensational and I spent a nice few hours by Loch Dunvegan with the camera enjoying the scenes and snapping away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next we decided on a bit of fishing around the cottage. Again memories of summer were instantly rekindled with Miff hoping for another Pb pollack, but fishing again was slow with only micro pollack and coalies failing to plugs and soft plastic lures.

Given our failures so far hopes were not high when we drove the 20 minutes to Ardmore Bay. In summer we had spent a couple of hours here before being driven off by a rather unpleasantl woman who gave us grief for parking on her land and fishing on "Her rocks".

With Knowledge of the right to roam in Scotland myself and Miff parked outside her patch and then headed onto the rocks which sooo clearly do not belong to her. With memories of one of the most unfriendly people living in Scotaland (an English incomer at that) I have decided to name our new find Venue as Grottbags Island.

[​IMG]

A bonus awaited us as we walked onto the mark. The conversation went something like this.

Glenn - "Is there someone down there"
    Miff - "Yes, they are fishing on the rocks"
    Glenn - "well I know this sounds daft, and I know there are no birds the size of a vulture in the Uk, but it looks like a massive bird"
    Miff - "No its definately and angler, he just moved"

Then it took to the air. A massive sea eagle, and we had mistaken it for a person. Just goes to show how huge these birds really are. This was the second sighting of a sea eagle in our first 2 days.

It was low tide when we visited last and fishing had been steady, but i had always felt that the few hours upto high tide would be best at this mark and we were to be proved right on that score.

[​IMG]

Miff was into fish first cast and a nice pollack of around 3lb was soon on the deck. Four more followed in quick succession and the lure of choice was a small Rapala X Rap that Miff had bought in the states. we both tried various lures and were amazed that we could tempt nothing at all on any soft plastics. The fish simply were not interested in jellyworms which came as quite a surprise.

I Tried the infamous Yo Zuri Crystal Minnow which works so well for the bigger pollack down here, but nothing seemed interested. Miff continued to catch well on his xrap, but nothing bigger than around 3lb made a show. This sort of got me thinking that we were in a smaller fish zone. Ive often noted that marks full of small pollack often lack the larger ones and this seemed to run true here. But at least we were catching, and with a very nice tidal run just off the corner of the bay I feel this area has potential for bigger fish if we move around and experiment a little next time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thursday - Loch Bracadale - Roag Island And Horbost

Another day and a new venue for us. We had driven into Skye by a different route this time and we had spotted the amazing coastline of Loch Bracadale en route. This place simply screams pollack fishing. Nice flat ledges dropping into 30 feet of kelp filled water.

Quite by accident, after a wrong turn we arrived at Horbost which is a very secluded bay which looks like it aint seen many fishing rods in its history.

[​IMG]

The first couple of hours here were spent with the cameras in hand before we finally headed onto one of the many rock ledges which line the bay.

Again Miff was in fast on his Rapala X-rap whilst i stuck it out for a biggy on the Yo Zuri red Head. Fishing was slow for me so I switched to my green mackerel pattern Crystal minnow. The action was instant. First cast a pollack of roughly 5lb nailed me before screaming off in the opposite direction.

Then came the hit of a lifetime with a huge pollack taking line. I managed to get some control over the fish after tightening the drag but the encounter was short lived with the fish shaking the hook not long afterwards.

Another couple of pollack around the 3lb mark followed before another monster hit me. This time I couldnt do anything with the fish, it just nailed me and went for the bottom. Although I never saw the fish im guessing id hooked something in the double figure bracket. Sadly it took my Crystal minnow to the bottom and that was the only one I had in my favourite green mackerel pattern

The next hour we managed a few more decent pollack but nothing the size of the ones we had lost. Just as we were about to get flooded off there was a quick flurry of better fish. Miff lost plugs as the fish grounded him and I had the amazing experienced of having my 50lb braid snapped at the rod tip by a pollack which nailed me right at the edge. This just illustrates the size and power of the fish we were getting in to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All too soon we were flooded off our mark. We tried some areas further back but it seemed like we couldn't get our tackle into the right places. The day ended with memories of big fish lost, but we would return for more before the end of the trip.

Friday - Loch Bracadale And Grottbags Island.

With memories of the day previous we headed back into loch bracadale in search of big pollack. Sadly the weather had turned a little and a stiff south easterly and a slight swell were coming up the bay.

We decided to give it a go and we were not to be dissapointed with fish to 7lbs coming ashore. Although the fishing wasnt as hactic as the day before it was fun and the resulting catches were slightly bigger.

Again the crystal minnow accounted for the bigger fish, but Abu Tobys seemed to work well too.

For some reason, no matter how hard we tried we could not get pollack to take Jellyworms. Why this should be I am lost for ideas, but the usually prolific method drew a blank right across the week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As the weather worsened we decided on a switch of venue to Grottbags Island. Again Pollack were plentiful but small with the biggest going again around 4lb. Once again the larger fish took the crystal minnow. Looking back a switch to roag Island may have been the better option, but were still on a very steep learning curve on the island.

Highlights of the day were the better quality pollack and what looked like a tornado that passed over the outer hebrides at dusk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saturday - Bracadale And Neist, An Anti Climax

Saturday was our last day of fishing. We made the mistake of trying to half our time between Bracadale and Neist and never really gave either a fair chance. Fishing was slow on the early flood at Bracadale with only a couple of pollack around the 3lb mark coming out. Probably leaving at the best time we headed off to Neist but once there we quickly decided it didnt look nice at all with a strong wind blowing across the mark and some swell in the water it looked like it could be dangerous so we made a quick switch to the Jetty at milovaig.

Miff decided to have a fish whilst I headed off with the camera. Milovaig is close in fishing style to Sandsend car park, basically you turn up, walk 10 yards and fish into the mouth of the loch. Stories have been told of nice pollack coming from there but the venue really didnt appeal to me so I spent a couple of hours talking to a rather interesting boat angler who had just returned with a box full of nice pollack caught - "Just Out there"

So our final day was a bit of an anti climax. But we had had a fantastic week, we had caught good fish and connected with much bigger.

Sunday - Home In 8 Hours And Some Amazing Autumn Colours

Sadly another trip was now over and all that lay ahead was the long drive home. But this was to be no ordinary drive. Over the space of just a few days autumn had arrived big style on Skye and in the Scottish highlands.

Miffs Tom Tom thingy showed us a different rout home and what a bonus that it was little over 8 hours rather than the 10 we had expected.

Every corner led to more amazing scenery. Below is just an example of a few of the sites we saw. With only the absence of the Canadian maples I think this place in Autumn will rival most places in the world. Skye and Scotland has it all and I for one cant wait to be back there next summer. Here's a few more images from our week. I hope you enjoy looking as much as I did taking them :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Further Reading

2. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

As I said before you went this time, I am proper jealous, and just thinking that I should get back there ASAP.
    Your pictures are absolutely excellent. I am staggered by how different it looks in Autumn, yet still wonderful.
    Did you chuck any baits for skate?
    And, did you manage to make contact with Iain, or was time too limited?
    Next year, I am making an effort to go spring, summer and autumn. And possibly back to Scilly Isles if I can spoil myself that much.
    :)

3. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Good report and amazing pictures would love to stay in one of them cottages on the water's edge.

4. limpet

limpet Blenny

a cracking read and truly stunning pics 8) seriously considering skye as my next fishing holiday after my next and possibly last norway trip next year

5. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

Cracking photos.

6. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

absolutely brilliant photos... and such a enjoyable place... those images make me want to return up there again...
    cheers
    Paul

7. Mladds

Mladds Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great as usual glen. But been there an done that so let's do Norway or Ireland as next bass club trip... Committee meeting needed lol. Plus not on same dates as kayak comp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

8. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Great report and awesome photos. What a great looking place.Win the lottery...forget about places like the Bahamas give me there any day.Peace,solitude and away from the a**eholes of modern day life.

9. Baramundi Bob

Dan wants to go to Shetlands for Tuna.

Next Bass club trip is Cape Verde.

10. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

stunning pics thanks for sharing

11. imonlycoddin

imonlycoddin Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

that was one hell of a read glenn full of detail and anticipation of what was round the next corner with the stories of big fish hooked and lost. as I read on I was show you was going to get the big one, but hey not to be. better luck next time with that. some amazing pictures to top it off BRILLIANT!!!

12. Baramundi Bob

I was 100% sure I was having the big one out of there. Loosing the green yo zuri didnt help, and we ran out of time. We just worked out the best time for the mark and we had to come home. But its there for next time. Next year I aim to take an extra 10 days unpaid leave from work. Guess where I will be stood, either on my own or with company ill be on Skye chasing the pollack.

13. GJW

GJW Rockling

Fantastic Glenn, Looks like you and Andrew had an amazing time.. Did you not fish Staffin this time?? I guess time runs away and you cant do everything but you certainly done plenty.. Just looking at your pictures takes me back there..

Tightlines.

14. nickid

nickid Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

fantastic pictures

15. NICKB

NICKB Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Some stunners in there Glenn. 8)

Nick

16. young casper

young casper Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

allways look forward to your reports bob, great pics and very informative, sky reminds me or where i live now, i can go out onto the beaches and rocks and see not one person one, infact i think some of the places i have found to fish havnt been fished by any one before and having great fun hunting down the bass,,once again nice one baramundi ;)

17. bucko

bucko New Member

It really does look awesome up there- I bet theres some lovely lochs in the hills for throwing a fly or small spinner about in.

18. Wooly warrior

Wooly warrior Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hi fantastic pictures what camera did you use, thanks

19. Baramundi Bob

Some are on a canon sx220 and some on a canon 500d. The first image with the silohette is on the sx220 which cost me £70

20. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Being serious, have you thought abut putting together a calendar, or book, or something?
    Your pictures really are absolutely sensational, and I do not say that lightly.