1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isle of Skye.... (Fishing Report)

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by GJW, Sep 17, 2013.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

Hello all, Just returned from visiting friends on the Isle of Skye.. Of course I put some fishing gear in and managed a few sessions on that magical Island..

I caught loads of Spurs, seems certain venues were littered with them, tried fishing for Tope but every bait I put on the bottom was snaffled by the ever hungry Spurdogs after pulling 17 up from a 100ft of water I decided enough was enough and a Tope had fat chance of getting to the bait with so many Spurdogs sniffing about..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was good sport and most fish were between 4-8lb and they give a fair battle on standard beach gear...

Next trip I decided to change venue and have a go at the Pollack, the first hour was slow so decided to put a bait down on the bottom, after after a few minutes the rod tip started knocking and wound in a small ling ended up with 3 Ling and a Cuckoo Wrasse, then the pollack decided to put in an appearance , suddenly like someone flicking a light switch the Pollack came on the feed, they were nailing everything that was cast at them, Most were good fish again between 4 - 8lb and lost a couple of good fish..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Island has so much potential and most of the coastline I think will have struggled to see another angler, apart from the more popular venues but even them are not as popular as some of the venues back here..

It certainly is a great place, sort of magical with fantastic scenery, its hard to keep your eyes on the road ahead with the towering mountains and Lochs and wildlife all around..

[​IMG]

Found these big mussle whilst fishing so collected a bucket full for winter bait..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whilst fishing Neist Point I came across a couple of Basking Sharks swimming just along side the rocks and also spotted Minke Whales and Dolphins what a super place to waste your time... I managed to catch the Sharks on Video...

Hope this works..

[​IMG]

Tightlines..

Gary.

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

superb stuff Gary. love the basking shark video and the funky music !

3. West Cliff Miff

West Cliff Miff Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Superb report, as ever Gary.

Made me jealous as all hell too - our recent trip to Skye was fantastic, and I'm really looking forward to getting back again soon.

As a matter of interest, what were you using as bait? As you probably know, we were having to mackie bash for a couple of hours every day to get enough bait for that days fishing.

We also dug a fair bit of worm and clams, plus got a few mussels and so on, which were great for the wrasse and such like, but the conger, spurs and tope were all on mackies.

What did all of your spurs go for?

4. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Another really good report Gary , lovely pics , some really nice fish , beautiful scenery what more could you want , and to get so close to a couple
    of Basking Sharks is a real bonus

5. Groyne

Groyne Guest

Nice one Gary, another good jaunt. I'll show our lass the video, then their will be more chance of getting up there, she can whale watch while I fish. ;D

6. GJW

GJW Rockling

Hi Andy, I took some frozen mackerel up with me, just encase the mackerel had finished but lucky enough the mackerel were plentiful and managed to catch some up there and freeze some down whilst there.. Yea the Spurs fell for Mackerel too...

7. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Great report and pictures Gary, and the size of them mussel.... jesus

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Thanks for sharing Garry, brings back a lot of memories for me of one of the most stunning places I ever saw. Those Minke Whales really are a sight for sore eyes. Wishing I was there right now, the place is soo magical.

For anyone else interested here are a couple of links worth looking at if your thinking of going. One isnt finished but i will get there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6egK2o2YApI

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/isle-of-skye-sea-fishing

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=31265.0

9. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Great report Garry, hope i can get up there one day soon,looks like Pardise

10. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

See you're still struggling to catch a fish or two Gary :) and I thought Barry manilow was a nailed on cert for the vid music ;D

11. andym

andym Rockling

Awesome report as usual mate love the Basking Sharks

12. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

superb posts you lads deserve every success with the hard work you put in ,,excellent

13. mad mick

mad mick Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

good report gary. i can see how my uncke got hooked on fishing after been up that place in the campa van. lovely photos to bud.

mick

14. Charliepat

Charliepat Blenny

Crikey .thats good fishing. Making me think about going there instead of Norway.
    Wouldn't mind a few buckets of those mussels though,belting size those.! :)

15. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Amazing pics fellah,truly stunning :) :)

16. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

The wanderer returns :D

Nice report and pics Gary, you've certainly had an eventful year.

17. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

super report as usual a true gent and deserve your sucess