1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isle of Skye advice

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Steve-o, Oct 23, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Steve-o

Steve-o New Member

Having read the fantastic reports and viewed the stunning pictures from Skye we've booked a week in woodlands cottage in glenshiel. I'm hoping to find a bit of easy fishing so I can take the other half and kids to wet a line as well as a bit of rougher stuff just for me ;). If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great as fishing time might be limited with it being a family holiday. I know there is quite a bit of info that has previously been shared but i'm hoping someone might have had a go near glenshiel.

Cheers Steve

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

What time of year you going mate. Theres some nice piers and jettys to take the kids to. Armadale has some good fishing as does the jetty at the mouth of Loch Pooltiel.

To be honest theres some fantastic fishing in lots of place just a few hundred yards from the car.

3. Steve-o

Steve-o New Member

We're going at the beginning of april. That sounds spot on for the kids, they're really looking forward to it. What sort of ground is it from the jetty's, would I be right in presuming its mixed? I've noticed most of the time you seem to fish with artificials but do you think there is scope for a spot of bait fishing at night for various species? Sorry if i'm asking dumb questions, I just don't want to take gear I don't need

4. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

There is an Isle of Skye fishing website, run by Iain. Message him?
    There is good fishing from the rocks just before Eilean Doonan castle, Loch Duich, into deeper water. In summer months, you can catch decent pollock there. Give it a crack, as you can cast from your car?
    Best of all would be to drive on to Skye, into Broadford, then take the road left after the Supermarket, to Elgol.
    (The drive across Skye the is wonderful, seeing the Cuillins, etc.. It is also only 20-25 mins from bridge. Others may suggest Neist Point, but that is 1.5 hours or so from bridge, is probably unsuitable for children and offers exactly the same style fishing)
    Park up in Elgol, and walk west along the coast of the loch there to the NW corner of that headland. You will find an 'island' of grass area, connected by a grass path. Go across, then immediately right down to sea level and fish off the rocks there, facing W. Toby lures, dexters, etc. for fantastic pollock. A girl can get there.
    You are fishing into very deep water.
    If you wish, you could chuck in a mackerel and be almost guaranteed a conger.
    That is the best fishing spot in the southern half of the island.

If you wish to have a night time crack on your own, cast 80+ yards out into the loch from the small spit immediately to the right of the harbour there (you walk along the rock beach in front of the school) and you will have a chance of big Skate. The loch south of there, Slapin, offers even bigger skate in winter, up to 200lb's (four burly commercial fisherman struggle to get them in a boat. They close their nets and almost stop the boats).

As said though, headland of Elgol is a cracking, cracking spot. According to Iain, better than Neist.

Good luck, and tight lines. We are jealous.

5. lipslicker

Hate to disagree with Bob here, but I would strongly advise against Armadale pier. The kelp there is some of the thickest you will find anywhere on the island, and the tides are absurd, and I mean absurd - like 15mph. Just viscious.
    It is a challenge for adults, but I would venture to suggest almost impossible for kids and newbies.

Now that I know you are going in April, will suggest Elgol even more strongly, as cracking mackerel there too. Perhaps 300 yards from car to fish.
    You can fish off the jetty there for mackerel, and that is totally safe and just 20m from car park. No kelp, no mega tide runs. And great views, probably best on island, and I don't say that lightly.

6. Baramundi Bob

Mmm Thats got me thinking Lipslicker, Im wondering if the tide was having a day off when we visited and if someone moved the Kelp forest as I dont think we lost a single bit of gear between us ? Or did we fish a different Armadale pier to you.

Certainly no kelp off the end of the pier and one of the tamest marks I saw in terms of tide. Infact the only place I observed any tide flow at all on the island was Nest point which came as a big surprise to me.

I know we fished there and there was some Thornbacks, mackerel and stacks of small coalies, there was also families came with children and small kiddies rods.

In GJW topic, this is the venue he had all his thornies. I would say one of the main novice friendly venues on all the Island. If your wanting something a bit more extreme then check out aird de sleat where me and Mike had some good pollack fishing when we got board of the pier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also another pier worth a look would be UIG.

[​IMG]

This North east peninsula of the Island is perhaps most beautiful and you have stunning coastline from there round the top of the peninsula and back down to staffin.

A general rule of thumb on the bait versus artificials.

I would use bait in water over 40ft. Pin mackerel flappers on the bottom and hold on tight. Most your bigger fish species will prefer it. Thornbacks. Wrasse, Tope, Ling, Spurdogs, dogfish, bull huss and lots of other species will take bait

Night time could be very exciting.

Water 20 - 40 ft with kelp near by will be largely pollack fishing and I would choose Artificials. Jellys worked well for us in summer but in October it was plugs only.

Also i was told that May is the best month for pollack as they will take anything you put in the water as they are starving due to bait fish not turning up till June.

7. lipslicker

BB
    My sincere and humble apologies. I stupidly mixed up my ferry piers in my head, and was of course talking Kylerea.
    Old age getting the better of me!
    Sorry.

8. lipslicker

P.S. that is surely a negative points record.
    :'(
    LOL.

9. Baramundi Bob

Silly git. I thought that may be the case as Ive never seen a tamer looking venue. It was sooo laid back we had icecream and coffee on the pier.

10. Steve-o

Steve-o New Member

Thanks for all the help lads, with all that info, that's my week sorted. Just need to convince the missus that i'm fishing all week. Really excited now, will defo put a full report up with pics. Again much appreciated