1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Yakking that Safe?????

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bigcod2, Jan 19, 2010.

1. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

After reading about the very lucky rescue of the Yakker in Scotland, it made me think, would I want a Yak.
    The answer is, yes I would, but to you yakkers on here, is it really safe at sea?
    Obviously being in groups helps a lot. But is there any lone yakkers on here, or does anyone have an opinion on lone yakkers.

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Well, yes, it is safe :happy:

Risk assessment plays it part, we know there are risks involved when kayaking at sea just like there are risks when yakking inland as well. The trick is preparing for the worst, we are dressed for the water (wetsit, drysuit, etc), floatation aid is worn, VHF & mobile are at hand if the coastguard needs to be contacted. We know driving a car COULD be dangerous but we still do it.
    If we weren't properly prepared for kayaking at sea (no waterproofing or PFD for example) then we would be taking much a bigger risk. We all do what we are comfortable with, I fish/paddle in conditions some wouldn't go out in but there are plenty of people that fish/paddle in conditions I wouldn't personally feel comfortable with but they feel fine doing so.

Kayaking fishing alone doesn't bother me, well, more so in the summer than winter. Ideally I'd prefer to kayak fish with someone but it's not always an option, again as long as potential risks have been addressed that I have no problem heading out myself and have done plenty of times.

Think about it though matey, if you get to the carpark at say Sandsend and see the ea is quite rough with right caps everywhere you wouldn't even bother taking the yak off the roof. You know it's dodgy and you would have a higher chance of going over board so you leave it until you have a calmer day, that's most of the danger taken away already :wink:

3. mick webster

mick webster Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I go nearly all the time on my own, but ive' spoke to a couple of lads on this excellent forum who are keen to go so im' going to get some company. I have an Oceon Drifter yak which is a good bit wider than most and its' very stable, not that fast but ive' never felt at risk in it and never been anywhere near being turned over. I fell out in heavy surf in 2ft of water at Mappleton, but it was a 6 mtr ebbing tide and i shouldnt' have been out really, but the kayak stayed upright. I also have a waterproof vhf, that makes it safer. I was once on a horse that ran off with me, that WAS scary, but thats' another story.

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I do fish on my own quite a lot from the yak. Touch wood I feel fairly safe but must admit Ive had the odd close call, Once lost my paddle but managed to get it back before it floated off.

With regards to the risk I think there are risks involved but just like anything in life you can take precautions to reduce and limit those risks. I certainly think a good knowledge of the sea and local coastline is of huge benefit at times. Knowing where currents flow and waves may be created can keep you safe. For example keeping off Whitby Rock Top in all but the very calmest of conditions is a good idea, but it can be done when things are right. I think your worst enemy, as with anything else, can be complacency. Thats lots of things can keep you safe, its all about identifying risk then planning how to deal with it, even if that means staying at home. Knowing about the weather can be beneficial too. Knowing about long distance swells and where they will break (Like around the sandsend boilers and the scar ends at Kettleness) is good knowledge to have. Also not leaving the beach in anything over force 3 winds is a good idea unless your a very skilled paddler that is.

There is so many ways you can limit your risk. Of course you can never make anything 100% safe you can take a to a point where you can operate with a fairly good chance of never coming unstuck.

In relation to other pastimes I think Kayaking is very safe. At times at Whitby you see charter boats sailing with a dozen people on board but not 1 with a lifejacket on. Other times you see rowers (Sometimes young kids) leaving the harbour in fog and again not a lifejacket in site. In comparison to rock angling I would say kayaking is safer. Just going by the few accidents I have had and others I have heard about (Bob Eglon falling at Boulby, GJW falling at Bemmo, anglers falling off the cliffs and getting washed away by the sea, or falling through piers) I would say I am far safer on my kayak 1/2 mile off sandsend than I am along at LOng Hole on my own in the dead of night.

If your contemplating getting a yak Philip I would say go for it mate. You have 1 life, so live it. Im not sure where your based now ??? Have you left the south coast. I think you could have access to some top fishing whereever you are and being on the yak is in my opinion the best type of fishing I have ever experienced. Also if you do get one, give us a call when your home in summer and I will show you a few hings that will make your eyes pop out. We have fishing on this coast that is all but undescovered and you wont believe what is on offer if you try a diversity of approaches.

5. newdave

newdave Guest

lots of good advise from Glenn & Sam, I agree that there are risks with kayak fishing but provided you apply common sense & take all the necessary precautions its fine. following the appalling string of incidents involving shore Anglers this winter we are actually doing well in spite of the fact that most of us are self taught.

no room for complacency but i think we are a pretty responsible lot when conpared with many other watersports.

I never really gave it a thought until Glenn mentioned it but its suprising that charter vessels are not obliged to issue lifejackets to there punters ?

6. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Mick That bloody Horse Ran Off With Cos I Shot It Ha Ha I was aimming at you but missed and the nagg got it right up the ring i must remember which eye to close i was quite impressed with your horse riding skills there you were giving the lass all the chat when the next thing you was off at full chat across that field faster than sh t off a shovel hands in your pockets no dought so your money dident fall out tight git so now you know what happend im just waiting for my chance catch you tomorrow tightlinrs Alain

7. mick webster

What a bloody thing that horse was Al, Lisa was with me and they both started racing each other, i tried pleading with it, threatening it, i thought about jumping off. There was a hedge coming up fast with a tarmac road the other side, anyway it stopped at the hedge then went up on its' back legs, then down on its' knees, it was determined to have me off! I packed in after that and bought a 600 Yamaha, i felt a lot safer on that!

8. cleeclive

cleeclive Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I do a fair bit on my own in the Humber but did manage to fall out last winter when I turned to talk to someone in an inflatable canoe. Fortunately they were able to help me get ashore. It was a wake up call and has made me somewhat less over-confident and a great deal more careful about what I do where i go etc when on my own.

Like everything we do be it screaming around on a fast plastic motorbike, rock climbing or cutting a branch off a tree in the garden there are risks, and that is part of the enjoyment.
    Good risk management keeps us alive or out of hospital

Cheers

9. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

I think its safer out on the yak, than walking the street.

10. V8_Rob

V8_Rob New Member

I fish alone a lot of the time, often at night.

You can only minimise the risk so much, that being said I'm happy that I'm prepared for most eventualities. Radio, GPS, phone, flares, paddle plan plus I'm leashed to the yak. Plenty of practice at re-entries, etc. I'm more lightly to get into trouble playing rugby......... just as well I dont :laugh:

11. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Rob you could get yourself into trouble in an empty room, especially when writing about plastic kayak trollies :cheesy:

12. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I think your right, I saw Scarborough on an episode of Seaside cops. You wouldnt want to fight the women, never mind the blokes

13. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The best piece of safety kit you can posses is already built in your head and is governed by your own ability, you should know when not to launch and also when to return. This piece of safety kit is often clouded by bravado and stupidity, but then we all make mistakes. A risk is something you take more often than not you get away with it, occasionally you don`t but when something happens out of the blue and it`s beyond your control you should be in a position to alert others and summon help, you should also be suitably kitted out to preserve your own life while help arrives. I think most of us yak fishermen know and understand these things, we spend as much if not more on safety kit as we do on tackle, we take safety seriously and are only too happy to pass our knowledge on to others just starting out. I`m proud to be a member of the (lunatic) yak fishing community and I do believe yaking is safe.

14. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

was that the on with whitby on as well :butt:

15. mick webster

I fell out of my son Webbos' Trident in Scotland last year when he set off on his jetski and it sort of sucked all the water away from me and i just fell into a hole. I think if i had been in my Drifter i may have got away with it but i never felt safe in his yak, just what you get used to i guess. The Fladen bouyancy aid came up over the back of my head, it held me up but i couldnt' manouvre in it, bloody useless, it was a good i wasnt' on my own or i wouldnt' have got back in the yak! Ive' since made some leg straps for it and its' ok now, so all in all Webbo did me a favour bless him!

16. webbo

webbo New Member

Dad it was an insurance job that went wrong, its ok i have willy bendit on my side now so yer days are numbered, apparently the divers are still in that area of luce bay picking up all them coins you dropped, think thats why that horse bolted it was the sound of them coins jingling!! lol

17. SteveCBR900

SteveCBR900 New Member

I do just about all my yak trips alone and have no problem in that at all. My priority is safety knowing that there may be no help nearby if anything went wrong so i carry all the essential safty gear such as phone, VHF and Flares, Compass, divers knives right through to a First Aid kit. Its only down to the information from this site and its members that i manage to make my trips alone, and without any major issues so its thanks to them for that. Now that your here and asking the questions its only a matter of gearing up and learning a bit before you make your first trip on a yak and realise its the way to go, and for me the only way i fish....

18. mick webster

CLEECLIVE, What sort of yak was it you tipped out of mate?, just as a matter of interest!