1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Whitby The UK's Number One Charter Port ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jun 9, 2010.

Tags:
?

Is Whitby The UK's Number OneCharter Port ??

1. Yes

29 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. No, I dont think so (Please list which ports are better)

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krysb

krysb Blenny

PhilK

I truely don't think any Whitby Skipper will bother getting a Cat as there was one in Whitby a while back, there never seem to be many poeple going on it :laugh:, and I think the business has folded now, so it probably doesn't encourage the 'succesful' Whitby Skippers to go down that road IMO :confused:.

STUNNING REPLY
    LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. cod.ling1973

cod.ling1973 I will cast more than 100 yards one day :-)

You should be on a stage phil that was fuwkin hilarious :yes: :yes: :yes:
    Well said mate.
    The only cats in whitby what work are the ones what chase mice, The skipper is what makes fishing enjoyable not a fuwkin boat!!!!

3. seaurchinmick

seaurchinmick New Member

Without diverting too much from the topic header, brand new cats coupled with the latest electronic gismos are brilliant for travaling long distances in comfort and I personally agree with Mr wildcard these craft are the dogs for certain ports, and should he want to start a new topic on the pros and cons of such craft in whitby I would be happy to debate,
    but this topic is not about which boat is best, or fastest, or anything else none of these facts alone makes one port better than another it's a personal choice, and the personal choises of many people for many years show whitby has visitors returning time and time again, year in and year out, summer and winter alike, and will continue to do so for many years to come without this years latest cat, without conger fishing, without hour after hour steams, without food and drinks on tap all day or sunday roasts included, without decent media coverage, without cable laying techno, without bow thrusters whitby skippers manage to do ok from the wrecks, and finally without an attitude just a thank you and I hope you enjoyed your day ladies and gents and hope you consider us again when you plan your next boat fishing trip.
    there is much more involved to running a profesional charter boat than pure techno the number of anglers who keep returning prove this.

4. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Honest,open and balanced, this is what its all about. Great attitude from a top skipper nice one Mick.

5. Tommy

Tommy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I fished with the late JB on chieftain quite a few times and he said to me the reason that he got the boat (chieftain) was because longer trips and further distances are what his customers wanted. He also said that from a commercial point of view it was beneficial to his business for the boat to be making money 24 hours in a day rather than 10 hours in a day. He (JB) was catering for the demands of the anglers that he took.
    He did say to me that he thought it strange that not to many years ago the inshore fleet, where saying that you needed fast boats to get offside fast to the offshore wrecks to catch the best fish. But now days (with the price of fuel) you suddenly don’t want to be going far and fast because the fish are now all within economical fishing distance. Very good of the fish to suddenly be so obliging.
    Still I suppose it was all a good bit of banter between skippers in a very demanding and competitive market. At the end of the day the most beneficial thing was that at least at Whitby you had the choice and still do.
    Tommy

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Having personally witnessed some of the best cod fishing I have had from a boat in 20 years (2 weeks ago) I can personally vouch for the fact that there is plenty of cod on the wrecks and rough ground inside of 5 miles. Maybe that is convienient, but why steam 60 when you can catch at 3 miles.

7. Baramundi Bob

If you do have a fast boat you have the chice to fish inshore or offshore there has allways been plent of cod inshore ask any commercial fisherman where they spent most of there time catching cod and most would say inside of 5 miles why steam over fish there is stacks of cod inshore if you know where to look.

paul.

8. Captainahab

Captainahab New Member

Mick, My son and i have been making the 580 mile round trip from Leigh-on-sea in Essex to fish off Whitby for the last 10 years for a whole week at a time. I am also able to usually get up there another 4-5 times during the year on my own. We have good fishing off our coast for different species, Thornbacks, Bass, Smoothounds and Tope to name a few, but for us Whitby gives something different. We have always found the skippers friendly and always put in 100% effort. We could easily save many hours travelling by fishing at various South Coast ports, and indeed have tried several over the years. But we always return to Whitby which says it all in my opinion.

9. Tommy

And in that 20 years did you do any fishing on the chieftain on there long reaching trips 120-150 miles off? If you would of done you would of know why myself and thousands of other anglers returned (and paid large amounts of money for the privilege) year after year. Not saying that there isn’t a good fishing 3 miles off Whitby. But we didn’t do it for the sake of doing it glen that’s all, like I have said before I witnessed 9 cod over 20lb and 2 cod over 30lb on the same trip and there must have been 20 odd fish between 18 and 20lb caught that trip too and I witnessed a man who had fished all his life down south but had never caught a cod before catch 100 cod in his first trip and that’s why I kept going back.
    Tommy.

10. Tommy

I believe that JB was a very successful commercial fisherman himself Paul and also a very successful commercial charter boat skipper. I suppose that the chieftain can fish on the inshore grounds and the distant offshore grounds so with that boat they have a boat capable of doing booth.
    Tommy.

11. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

:sleepy: :tired:

12. mr motorola

mr motorola New Member

I think we're all going to have to agree to disagree and move on to another thread. Peoples favourites , friendships and likeabilities seem to be misting their opinions. I , as all of you have their opinions and favourites but arguing over what started out as a friendly question appears to be heating up a bit.

"let sleeping dogs lie..." and all that guys.

13. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

In theory, you can hardly call fishing 150 miles away fishing from Whitby :gum: maybe thats where you embarked on your boat!

14. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

I think if you choose to pay the large amounts of money to spend half of it steaming then that is totally your choice, there is no way on this earth I would do it, not when I could be into fantastic fishing ten minutes from 'Whitby' harbour. Granted, it will always be some peoples cup of tea, not mine though!

15. Baramundi Bob

Yes he certainly was succesful. I have some friends who sailed with him and to this day speak very highly of his ability as a charter skipper, both inshore and offshore. But I aint quite sure why this topic has suddenly become about John Brennan and long fishing trips. The topic is about the number 1 charter port not the best boat, skipper or how far you go for cod. People must look at this topic and think some of the whitby skippers are a bunch of idiots who hate each other. Not sure why it is but as soon as someone mentions "The chiefain" and its old owner, the debate always decends into arguments. Its very reminiscent of some horrible arguments that were once allowed to go on on anglersnet forums and even ran into unpleasantness on a local level. Those topics on anglersnet must have done more damge to our port than anything else.. Please let the man rest in peace and lets have no more of this stupidity. The boat now has a new owner who has every right to run a business, catch fish, advertise his success and make money. Some people like long trips, some people like short trips end of. Tommy you certainly know how to light a fuse my friend.

16. Wildcard

Wildcard Hartlepool Marina - Simply The Best

The question was 'Is Whitby the UK's number one charter port?' and it would be helpful if posters stuck to the question and look at Whitby in general as a port and not individual skippers and boats. :whistle:

I have already said what I think the best modern charter angling boats are - big twin engines cats with offset wheelhouses. Such a vessel gives her skipper so many more options. Anybody wanting to debate the reasons - fire on :educated:

Do Whitby charters target different fish species; conger, bass, rays of any type, halibut, sharks, tope, BIG ling - wreck anchoring?
    No, yet all of these are possible. :gum:

Facilities. Angling parties travelling sometimes hundreds of miles need toilets and washing facilities before they embark. They also need to wash their hands and refresh before driving home, especially after using bait :ugly: Yet none provided.

The car parking is a joke.

SBC could provide toilets and dedicated car parking permits, but they have sacrificed Whitby as a fishing port for the tourist pound. That is my opinion.

Going back to the original question ;'Is Whitby the UK's number one charter port?' my answer is no.

It would be helpful if posters who said 'yes' gave their reasons :butt:

Alan

17. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Alan (Wildcard) , without quoting all the previous posts of why the pro Whitby followers believe that Whitby is the number one chater port, it is clear that those members have raised some valid points and qualified there views with why such as the quality of fishing inside of 5 mile and even inside 3 mile.
    I voted no because and this my only reason, at this time I don t think the potential has been tapped into.
    That could be explored and then what a charter port we would have.

I think everyone has heard your views on how good you think the high powered cats are....but how successful are they really ? At least up here ?
    Facilities could be better but Whitby is a unique port it is steeped in fishing history is a small town based around steep banks to a river with old streets and buildings a plenty adding to its charm. It isn t really that much of a viable option to develope the area heavily with facilities such as showers etc. I think most people book their fishing trips based on what they are going to catch and the knowledge that the skippers are going to gaft for them....and that they cetainly do.

So your answer is no and I think you have exhausted your why you have made that choice.

To continue just seems like you are trying to be inflammatory to the other posters which isn't that good to read.

18. Wildcard

Wildcard Hartlepool Marina - Simply The Best

By your standards, thats a pretty good post JW. :laugh:

Alan

19. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I rest my case.

20. langy

langy Rockling

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.