1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Whitby The UK's Number One Charter Port ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jun 9, 2010.

Tags:
?

Is Whitby The UK's Number OneCharter Port ??

1. Yes

29 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. No, I dont think so (Please list which ports are better)

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadlyfish

deadlyfish Guest

The title of this thread asks a question that all posters have been trying to answer. As an alternative answer I would like to say I have fished on charter boats out of Whitby, Arbroath, Berwick, Newcastle, Brid, Liverpool and a couple of southern ports when holidaying. One thing that I will commend every Whitby skipper I have been out with is EFFORT. You know when you are on a good boat when the skipper fishes himself and is alert to what each angler on the boat is doing at all times. Maybe I am not answering the question correctly by saying Whitby is the best charter port but I can answer that Whitby has some of the best skipppers I have been afloat with and I will continue to enjoy fishing out of the port and hope this year will see my first Whitby Tope and Porbeagle being caught.

2. 105

105 New Member

yes your right glen. a camera is good
    we had a 15lb pollack just after the festival
    an no pics.it had a tail like ron jeremy

3. Captainahab

Captainahab New Member

Paul, the pollack you caught on monday, when we were out with you must have nudged double figures?.

4. Wildcard

Wildcard Hartlepool Marina - Simply The Best

I just tell it like it is. :vomit:

Well the question was; is Whitby the Uk's nr 1 charter port?
    My honest answer is no.

Things have moved on in angling. Angling boats like this exist and are becoming the norm;
    http://www.deepsea.co.uk/boats/channel_chieftain/

The reason big cats are so good for angling is because 12 anglers can fish down one side without the boat listing. They are faster per HP given and far more manouverable. Yet none exist in Whitby.

As for catches. Long gone are the gunnel filling days of 'Dark Island'. If you want to know where the fish are being caught currently, check out;
    http://www.charterboats-uk.co.uk/

Also, Whitby as a port does not cater for anglers as good as it could do. In Hartlepool trolleys are available to carry anglers gear down to the boat and toilets and washing/shower facilities are provided. Yes anglers do need to use these facilities if they have travelled 2 hours plus from all over the UK.

If the question had been; Are Whitby skippers some of the best in the UK?, then I would have said yes.

I am just being honest, get over it :kiss:

Alan

5. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Alain if you don't mind me asking why did you bring your boat to Whitby for a few months then go back to Hartlepool ?

Surely being in Whitby has better access for getting in and out of port more so than Hartlepool marina as at low tide you are restricted due to lack of water. And I thought the Washing / shower facilities were for marina berth holders only.

6. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

You have a very valid point chris the bottom line is whitby will trash most ports around the country most anglers go for the fishing you dont need a boat that takes you over the horizon there is fantastic fishing right on our doorstep i had quite a few cod over 20lb inside of 4 mile last year there are some quality skippers here at whitby you dont have to steam for 3 hours to cover the deck in fish its nothing what so ever to do with the boat its the skipper what counts .

paul.

7. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

Alan

I think it is time you stopped commenting on this post as it seems that you are the only person that is in the same opinion as yourself!

I am sure that all of the Whitby Skippers would love 45ft twin engine cats, but they obviously aqre not millionaires, and as Bigcod said, it is the man behind the wheel that counts.

Alan, I have said this in previous posts and you have ignored, because it is right, but as a faied charter skipper, you are quite bitter, i am no longer going to rise to your silly comments, you just crack on and fry some fish!

8. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello guys, here's my input for what it's worth.

I am a shore angler first and foremost so I can't comment on the argument of "which port is best" as I only have experience of a couple of ports.

I fished out of Whitby for the first time last year and have been several times since. I enjoy the early start and the hour and a quarter drive down, watching the sun come up and the anticipation that builds as I drive down into Whitby.

As an angler that does almost all of his fishing on his own I enjoy the banter and conversation that you get onboard, I enjoy the scenery as you steam out past the piers, surely one of the most picturesque ports there is?

I enjoy the way the skippers always try their very best to get you on the fish and offer constant advice to help you have a good day. Last year Paul couldn't get me on his boat for the uptide festival but rang around and got me a place on "trot on".....what else can you ask for.

All in all I think Whitby and it's skippers are great, look at the festivals and see what a success they are, ok it's mostly cod but that's what most anglers heading for Whitby want. However look at Ruperts report on shark fishing and see how Paul is gearing up for a crack at the halibut, it's all exciting stuff and shows what is available for those willing to try something different.

So what I can say is Whitby is a great port, role on the forum trip :yes: and if other ports and the skippers are as good then that's great.

Steaming Out Of Whitby....What A Great View
    [​IMG]

Regards Ian.

9. seaurchinmick

seaurchinmick New Member

Nice one Ian,
    for most people there is more to a trip out fishing be it on land or at sea here are a few of my reasons why I love whitby

Walking through the town on a early morning and the first scent of the sea, the gulls, the anticipation and excitement, the bustle in the cafe's before the banter in the tackle shops and on the pontoon,
    The fact you cannot relive yourself after a two hour journey only adds to the fun for others,
    The back ground chatter and the views as we travel down the river,
    The lift as we leave the extensions, the silence from the deck as the first wave breaks over the wheelhouse
    The first drop of the day always comes as a surprising shock for many? half eaten sarnies thrown hurriedly, half finished fags being drawn on at record and lung breaking speed, blocks of frozen bait being bashed on any hard surface, lines racing under the boat away from the boat, anglers leaning the opposite way as if to will there lines back on course then the wait, then the blank, as shouts of wind em up lads comes from within the no go zone, and the voices from the deck say nothing, but there eyes say everything,

Then the voice at the back I haven’t dropped in yet,

The first fish on board the joy of the captor, and the relief of the skipper,

The tangles the shouts the denials the blame the slashing, hooks in fingers
    Make sure that bloke in the corner doesn’t cut my braid;
    Shout’s for the net produce an under size ling, while an 8lb cod is lost swinging it in over the hand rail, the frustration, the long wait for the same one to wind up last again, the fun and jokes,
    Steaming back to port proud fathers gutting fish while youngsters throw offerings to the birds, anglers sleeping, some start eating, and the sick and wounded razing up from there personal nightmare
    The skippers banter over the two way radio asking rhetorical questions like are you going for a pint,
    The smell of fish and chips vinegar, the sea, dogs barking, the first pint after the days work,

The approach ahhhhhh what a view probably the best approach in the UK. back home now lads fish in boxes, fish in bags, people waving from the pier, proud anglers holding up the results of there days work only now can the skipper sit back and take comfort from the fact the job is well done, let them when back on land squabble who had the biggest, the first, the most, there will always be another day, another boat, another skipper, I know I am lucky to have such a job the envy of most angler on board because I am living there dream
    living and working in Whitby

10. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

Bang on Mick!

11. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Nice one Mick , you are indeed a very lucky man and the envy of thousands. Good luck to you I say and long may it continue.

12. krysb

krysb Blenny

Alan

the link you give for the large cat in weymouth, isnt that the one that is too big for the local licencing authority that cant even fish the inshore grounds for poxy wrasse and pout.
    Isnt he over 12m, which effectively bans his punters from having a day close in??
    i suppose that means he will have to steam out to THE PATCH mid channel for a picking of decent cod.
    none of the easy steams like the wrecksn grounds off bays ness, tuts, lighthouse grounds and the like.
    I know what i prefer, 1/2 hrs steaming and the rest of the day fishing, not 3hrs each way and 4 hrs fishing!!!!!!, works out a bl##dy expensive day for a few cups of tea and a bacon butty????

13. cod.ling1973

cod.ling1973 I will cast more than 100 yards one day :-)

couldnt have put it better myself mick! :cheesy:
    felt like i was out at sea fishing reading that well done and well said mate

14. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

15. Tommy

Tommy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Good post glen but one you must have known could get a little heated.
    Still there’s nothing wrong with constructed opinions.
    As many have said there is some great fishing from Whitby, cod must be the Maine prize that the majority of anglers come for. That’s why I fish from Whitby, for cod. I wouldn’t come to Whitby if I was ray fishing or wanted a conger trip. Whitby is (and long overdue if you ask me) now broadening its horizons. You can get great inshore fishing with a good reliable inshore fleet and Whitby also has a boat that caters for offshore fishing, trips out to as far as 150 miles from Whitby and for a weeks fishing all inclusive if you want it. This must be a good thing for the recreational side of the port and all associated with angling.
    The negative sides to Whitby is the parking the facility’s for anglers once you come off the boats (toilets showers etc) not everyone can live in Whitby glen and if it wasn’t for the travelling anglers to Whitby they would be no recreational industry. So the town and facilities do have to play a big part. Have fished all over the world and Whitby is definitely one of my favourites‘.
    Tommy.

16. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Theres always room for this type of debate, and there will always be a difference of opinions. It tends to come unstuck a little when individuals throw in an opinion that may not necasserily be there own, but the throw it in knowing full well that it will cause sparks to fly. Fortunately for me I often see straight through it, just like tidal diamonds etc, its done with malicious intent. But the majority of people have differing opinions and we can all live with taht

17. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

One thing is for certain, you can't knock the skippers and despite the differing opinions they have let everyone have their two-peneth, and wether they agree with it or not they have been low-key which is commendable. I know from others that Paul is passionate about his job and mick, judging by his post and reports, loves his job too. There are others too who are just as proffesional who have made Whitby the "big smoke" of cod fishing.

18. Wildcard

Wildcard Hartlepool Marina - Simply The Best

A difference of opinion is no bad thing, it makes an interesting debate - as we have here. :tease:

The fact remains that the best modern purpose built angling vessels are twin engined catamarans. This one can accomodate 15 passengers;

http://www.charterboats-uk.co.uk/rocket/

The only vessel in Whitby able to fish 12 anglers down one side is 'Chieftain' and she is an ex fleet tender and not a purpose built angling boat. The reason JB bought her (he told me) was to 'cancel less trips' She is a displacement vessel capable of 9kn max.

The last state of the art charter angling vessel to enter Whitby (unless I am mistaken) was SJ's Bullet Islander which must be 20 years ago. A nice vessel even now, but no match for a modern cat. :educated:

A modern 13m cat with bow thrusters and fluid motion duo props is the current generation. Hooked up to cable laying GPS software, such a boat can keep her SOG motionless. She can position herself over a wreck using autopilot and remain there regardless of the wind/tide. An offset wheelhouse means all anglers fish down one side. Such boats can cruise at 30kn with a top speed in excess of 45kn with relatively low fuel consumption.

Until boats such as these enter Whitby it is obvious to me the question of 'Is Whitby The UK's Number One Charter Port ?? is answered by their absence. :gum:

Alan

19. langy

langy Rockling

Haha nice one

20. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

Alan

As I have said in my previous posts, I am not going to bite at your comments. I will although point out the that you are incorrect on what you are saying of how old Sea Trek (now Shy Torque 3) is, Big Cod may know more, but there is no way she is 20 years old. The reason you gave this figure of 20 years is because you dont have a great deal of historic knowledge, and are talking about a port, that granted, you know now, but over the years do not have the knowledge, so I thought I would just point that out to you, as I am sure soeone with a bit of Whitby experience would, also I am sure that Rich Ward would not be too happy , you telling the world that he is going out in a 20yr old boat.
    As for the Cat's, you have your opinion...........................these Cats are used by many skippers on the South Coast, I have actually fished on one, very nice boats, to go on them it is very pricey, and it was not my cup of tea to be honest, but again, its all opinionated, some people love it, many of the Cats though do not have a stable drip, as there massive whellehouses act like a sail, so they struggle to get a drift.

Just out of curiosity Alan, how many anglers could you fit down one side of your boat, and how many were you licensed for? :clown:

I truely don't think any Whitby Skipper will bother getting a Cat as there was one in Whitby a while back, there never seem to be many people going on it :laugh:, and I think the business has folded now, so it probably doesn't encourage the 'succesful' Whitby Skippers to go down that road IMO :confused:.

Good day

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.