1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this turning out to be the best cod fishing season since the 80s /90s ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by woody, Jan 28, 2014.

1. woody

woody New Member

Is this turning out to be the best season since the 80s /90s ? I have not been me sen due to other commitments but from what i have seen here and there its all very good to see ! :)

2. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Is this turning out to be the best season since the 80s /90s ?

Seems like it, doesn't it.
    Typically, I have been like you.
    Stuck inland October and November, free for all the storms, and now back stuck again!
    :mad:
    Definitely out Thursday though!!!
    My pig is waiting, and I have the bacon to wrap it in.
    :)

As Glen said a few weeks back - perhaps next season will be one of the best we have EVER had?

3. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hopefully will be I haven't been as much as I should of while home. Defo going through this next blow and after crnt bloody wait

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I remember 1 or 2 similar years in last 15 years but maybe this just has the edge, but this year is no comparison to 97 where you could catch as many as you wanted.

Im very very optimistic about next winter, If Im right it will eclipse this one. Everything came right at spawning time last year. Coldest March for 50 or even 100 years. There wasn't a single predator in the water last spring. Fish, crabs, lobsters etc were all holed up well into the summer (Remember the charter boats going out for nothing ??). If it was a good spawning year everything will have survived as there was nothing there to eat it. A very cold winter and a very cold spring. Fingers crossed it helped things along. The fact people are already foul hooking codling the size of your finger is a good sign.

5. Solly

Solly Blenny

I would echo what Glenn has said. Our club records indicate more cod have been weighed in this season from last season so far. The other notable thing is the amount of very small codling that people have reported along the coast this winter and in the river codling around the 10 inch mark. If these fish get chance to see this summer then I reckon that will will see a better autumn winter 2014.
    The charter and private boats out of Grimsby have been doing very well with big bags of coddling around the 3 to 4lb mark.

6. Boro5707

Boro5707 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The Tyne is jam packed with tiny coddling. Your bait can be in the water seconds. All bodes well for the future, apart from the whiting/rockling etc, which I believe whiting numbers have been down this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Have you noticed the codling that are full of milk and roe thou lads ???? I read a book named cod that someone mentioned on this forum. It said years ago cod when they reached maturity and started producing milk and roe were much much bigger and older than they are today ...... this says to me that cod know there in trouble and are changing themselves to suit. Its a long long road but hopefully a few more years of noted improvement and things will b more stable ........ untill quotas are lifted and theres a free for all again