1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is This North East Sea Fishery Officer Defending Commercial Overfishing ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

2. cps

cps Rockling

poor old paul was taking a bit of a slating , but what he said is very true

3. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Agreed, there's some right w@nkers on that site

4. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Theres also lots of very good people

5. Barnsley Chop

Barnsley Chop New Member

How come a fishery officer is posting on a fishing forum, and defending commercial fishing. I would have thought his terms of employment would forbid this type of thing.

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Yes Brian is right, there is some decent people on there too.

7. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Well yeah obviously - it's not like I said 'everyone on the site is a w@nker'

8. Howard

Howard Blenny

Its a question we have been asking for years. If he says anything too out of order you have to ring his boss at Brid. then he gets a bollocking.

9. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Unfortunatly its more like a commercial fishing forum than an anglers forum sad really.

paul.

10. bucko

bucko New Member

To be fair he is a lot more subtle than the Geordie fisheries officer on that 'Trawlers, rigs & rescues. programme who must have a legion of fans in Filey after saying everyone there has six toes.

11. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

The guy who posted that quote seems to have a very high opinion of himself and a very low opinion of everyone else including very experienced and well respected skippers such as bigcod for example.It is also a very unfriendly site that is propably best staying clear of. I personally would not take anything posted on there at face value as a lot of the posters seem to have an ulterior motive to cause trouble but saying that there is also some very decent folk on there as well albeit the minority.

12. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

You are right foo it is the only forum he can get a platform on to deny any wrong doing in the last 30 years by the commercial sector he actually posted recently that anglers werent regulated in other words they should be and the man works for the NSFC incredible.

paul.

paul.

13. brian carragher

Do you really think its an unfriendly place to be based on being there or are you just making assumptions, I find it a different experience to some of the views expressed in this topic

As for the difference in opinion between Challenge and Big Cod, I take no notice of most of it as I put it down to a personal spat between the two of them. As for what he(Challenge) says it might be better to read all of his posts in contex and then make your minds up. As for what he (Challenge) wrote, is he right, well my answer is yes he is and he's also wrong in equal measures if that makes any sense. Some of what he says about commercial fishing doing no damage is spot on, other posts that say trawling causes no problems or concerns, he's wrong but I have said so , nothing new in that

As for the restof the disagreements, read it all and then make your minds up rather than doing it the other way round. Should he be allowed to have an opinion and express it, of course he should and there should be no need for anyone to try and shut him up just because you either don't like him or like the job that he does, he's an enforcement officer for the NESFC and so long as he does'nt post about the content of his job or who's under investigation or pending prosecution and talking about angling related issues then he's fine

14. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

So which parts that brian i dont say all commercial fishing is bad i worked long lines myself in the 80ss what he is trying to defend is and will allways be destructivei have said on many occasions discards were a massive problem challenge litterally denide they existed this coast and many other parts of the shores around the uk over the 30 years have been overfished but the sad thing is a lot off the times more dead undersized codling went back over the side than went into fish boxes i have seen fantastic shore fishing in the 70ss and the 80s go to people going night after night trying to get 1 codling so please brian i dont have to make anything up i have seen it all.

paul.

15. brian carragher

Never said you made anything up Paul, you know better than that, I've backed you up when talking about trawler damage and rock hopping gear which i think destroyed a lot of the coble fishing along this coast, the coble fishing industry being a sustainable way of fishing which because of the big keel boat fishing methods and towing away of gear has all but disappeared off this coast

16. Shannon

Shannon Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

As an out sider looking in I would think that a person e.g Challenge who seems to have a good working knowledge of both sides of fishing, comercial and angling, from previous posts seems to have credability would be worth listening to as he may see things the rest of us only guess at or perhaps I am missing something not being a local to Whitby.
    Regards
    Shannon

17. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Sorry Brian no offence intended but yes I am afraid that is my experience of that site and I am not making assumptions it is the way I feel from visiting the site and being a member.

18. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I don't post much on the site in question but I view and read posts most days.....I think it certainly is a site that is very different to this one in that the moderation is very different.....views and exchanges are allowed to run and sometimes get quite heated which makes interesting and amusing reading often.....it nevers gets to the point of abusive or it is reigned in....sometimes it is good to let issues run to a conclusion rather than calling a halt and also it is good to visit sites with different ways of being run.

19. cleeclive

cleeclive Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I could not agree more, debate is good and how we get things done and learn from each other. I agree that moderation is required if things become abusive and dis-respectful. However differences of opinion are a part of healthy debate.

I for one have earned my living indirectly from commercial fishing for most of my life and I have bean involved in training and fishing gear development with the sole purpose of helping people to murder fish throughout the 70's and 80's and a bear no one an apology for that. At that time we believed that the oceans were a bottomless resource. During the 90's I turned my attention to gear selectivity research because I saw the error of our ways.

Now I am a gardener and a sad old cynic the Victor Meldrew of the fishing and angling industries, and thankfully the web has bought us forums to vent our frustrations! It is cheaper than doing it in the pub but still not a lot will change.

Have a nice evening lads

Cheers

Cleeclive

20. bulltrout

bulltrout Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I used to work on comercial fishing boats long lining potting and gill netting but it was nothing like on the scale of this modern day gill netters setup. saith fishing in the north sea!