1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is There Any Mackerel Being Caught At Whitby ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by portlandbill, Aug 16, 2014.

1. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

are any mackie getting caught in numbers whtby/skinny etc

just that talking to lads fishing the gare there are very few about :mad:
    the other week a lad said water was boiling with sprats but no mackie when they chucked among them.

even talk of the windfarm keeping them away ??? :(

2. smokey

smokey Rockling

Re: mackerel

More likely over fishing mate.
    A couple of years ago Iceland and the faroe islands decided to award themselves massive quotas against all the advice of various organisations.
    They upped it from something like 20000 tonnes a year between them to about 180,000 a year which caused a right old shit storm.
    Off topic a bit I know but despite all the huffing and puffing from our government,nothing was done about it,yet the UK politicians still let both countries export shit loads of fish here that surpresses the price British boats get.

3. Willfreeman97

Willfreeman97 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

It changes but there is definatley less about this year than the previous few. I was down Cornwall for a week and the week before I got there was not a single mackerel about from the shore or out to sea then 2 days later they came in and I had 160 in 2 days but they were all returned with fish freindly gloves.

4. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

.my brother lives wymth and fishes chesil bch said there
    was plenty
    talking to mate tday and he reckons fctory ship off our
    coast?

5. smokey

smokey Rockling

We get a different run of mackeral on this part of the coast,our mackeral migrate from well above Scotland usually,the ones your brother is catching are from a totally different stock / area if that makes sense.

The huge pelagic boats are fishing mackeral now,somewhere up near Greenland and are doing very well,they've hardly touched the herring quota yet though so the big Danish/Norwegian boats will appear off this coast at some point.

6. pro angler

pro angler Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

But is also something to do with this big factory ships taking the likes of sand eel out the water as well.

7. Howard

Howard Blenny

Its a fact the saneels and goodness knows how much valuable fry have been and will be hammered by the factory ships just outside the limit when they mass later on but there has been masses of small eels this year inshore and a very patchey showing of mackrel.
    Now an old timer was telling me the pressure on the pelagics is so great there not eating the sandeels hence contributing to their prolification. I dunno myself. Things go up and down dont they?
    I have noticed the birdy people havnt been moaning about the hungry puffins this year though!

8. Davo

Davo Rockling

Ive always known the Gare to chop and change during the macky season just like any other fishing season, and especially crap when the sea was flat-even when full of bait fish. Always better when theres been a bit of sea on. Regarding the turbines, i was fishing about 50 yards off them about two weeks back and it was heaving with macky, and there was at least a meter of swell/chop on.

9. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

The sprats have disappeared this year infact they were thin on ground last year whats happened to them god knows but whats do mackeral feed on sprats so its all sort of making sense no food for the fish no fish every year as long as i have been chartering sprats would gather in vast unmbers around the wrecks to the north of whitby in spring this hasnt happened in the last 2 years never been known before this seems to have happened since the turbines came online in teesbay whether its just a coinsidence i arnt sure but something very strange has happened since they came online.

paul.

10. robq

robq Rockling

Maybe the lack of sile and sprats will help the cod season this winter ?

hopefully they will be looking for food inshore instead of chasing baitfish shoals !

11. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

Was alive with cod last winter really looking forward to the winter sport off the boats and shore

12. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Why would you assume that just because there have not been many mackerel showing in a tiny area in short given time period that that means there are non left ?

Just from memory over the years, Mid August was always a quiet time locally. June and July often saw big numbers, then it would tail off for a week or 2, then if you got settled weather at back end of August and into September they seemed to return to the shore in huge numbers.

Also i note that only a week ago the charter skippers were reporting huge massive shoals on the 5 mile grounds.

Mackerel are a strange species, thy dont always feed and they dont always come to the shore and the scientists say they are a fast growing species capable of replenishing their own stocks in just a matter of years, unlike Cod.

13. simon22

simon22 Rockling

got loads of mac last sep from the boats in the festival for bait, most days if i am correct. I fished 2 days last sep and had bait all day

14. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

The mackeral seem to have stayed offshore for some reason this year been stacks out on the 3 mile but there certainly isnt the sprats inshore this summer to bring them tight inshore and as glen says mackeral do not feed feed 24-7 and seem stop feeding after a blow till it all settles then the sea can come alive strings of mackeral they seem to come from nowhere .
    Again regarding mackerals habits many years ago i was working on a rig off hull roughly 60 mile off and it was august a massive shoal of mackeral had suddenly appeared round the platform it was biggist shoal of mackeral i had ever seen they were as far as the eye could see but were just sat in tide litteraly stood still i thought i would try and get a few strings for the chef to fry up now that was a hell of lot harder than i thought i put feathers hooks with silver foil on them down jigged them held them in the tide i could see i these mackeral and not one would grab they just darted out of way as they just swam in the tide i couldnt belive my eyes i thought mackeral were just feeding machines wrong they only feed at certain times something fires them up but i suppose you couldnt eat all the time one thing i did think was they were actually spawning which they do off this coast .

paul.

15. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

Bad news them big fekin suck them up boats up north. Wiping out populations. And as we all should know mackerel are a major part of the food chain which could have disaster written all over it

16. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

Could of started lobbers, seals r trashing the little pots over side down the gare :(
    Kev brown wants y number

17. gleadall474

gleadall474 i want to live by the sea

Just got back from anglesey and they were saying it's been a bad year for mackerel. When I think two years ago all I caught was mackerel and doggies for a whole week.

18. Bernie

Bernie Blenny

Worst year ever for Mackerel on the south coast (except I hear Chesil) and also North Wales. No bait fish inshore to tempt them in but also the charter boats have struggled to find them so something is wrong.

19. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Maybe settled water and weather will entice themto pass inshore early sept ?

Last year july 14th i had 54 from the yak (marine drive scarboro) ended up with my quota for the season of 108, gutted filleted and vaccum packed. food for the year.
    My favourite plate of fish btw, pan fried .

This year i havent had one from the shore, plenty of sile, sprat about too. i have however had a total of 8 from the yak, same again off ne corner scarboro. had more cod this year whilst targeting mackerel !

So yes, sept may bring a visit, hoping...