1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is It Safe To Fish Cowbar Jetty In Rough Seas ?? Where Can You Park ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by simon22, Oct 3, 2013.

1. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Evening chaps. can you drive right diwn to the jetty at cowbar. and is there a sea that it is dangours to fish it in. thanks

2. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: cowbar

i ve driven down and parked at rnli bud on an evening no probs
    not much space

3. Mike

Mike Blenny

If it's rough... DONT Go On !!!

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Heres what happens to people who dont understand the Jetty. It has to be fished in the smallest of swells or it gets dangerous. Seek the guidance of someone like Lobbers who has fished it for years and knows it well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NovhWvLAyVc

5. simon22

simon22 Rockling

thanks glen. totaly sh@@ meself now and prob wont bothet.lol lol best to ask when u dont know the area. i know lobbers fishers it but as said if u dont know the place best not to go. which wind direction is a total no no

6. MandolinBanjo

MandolinBanjo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Blimey, looked pretty calm too

7. simon22

simon22 Rockling

i have fished there once with big tony. it was a lovley calm day but i imagin it can get rather bad in a strong wind. people think its safe cos its a solid place but dont think it would take much to see the water crashing over. thank you for your advice. no fish is worth bein dead for. will pnm lobbers see if he can help

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Yeah, dont mean to put you off bud as I know it fishes its arse off sometimes but would hate to see anyone come unstuckso get to know it before going alone.

9. simon22

simon22 Rockling

no problem glen. u have not put me off bud i just like to be safe. would not want to bring the lads frim the life boats out cos of my own stupidity. will fish it with tony probably and he does know the mark but if i go in my own will taje care and not risks. sent u pm glen regarding razor fish mate

10. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

Pm sent

11. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

You can drive down however its against the law (it's a traffic offense according to R&CBC) so expect a fine if you get caught!
    I can imagine the locals getting P*ssed off and reporting people as some nights its chocca block down there
    Also becareful on the rocks this time of year, they are becoming slippy.

12. DK

DK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

big northerly seas at high tide are a big no no. Safe enough at low water, on the flood if you start getting wet time to move. Watch out for the odd freak wave., a few years back l was on with 5 other lads 3 hours into the flood when one came over the end water at waist hight and put most of us on the deck with a few cuts and bruises but luckly nothing else. Never seen the jetty empty so quick.

13. stiffmeister2

stiffmeister2 Hooked On Bass

DK That must be the worst piece of advice that I have ever seen on here did you not watch the airlift rescue? How well do you know this mark? I have 20 years experience but I don't need to tell Simon about the cond itions because every one else has apart from you. No you don't fish it on a big northerly at all and you just answered that by saying you got the crap kicked out of you and so did the other lads that are fishing :-[ 3 hours into the flood? All I can say is your lucky your not dead. Cowbar jetty can be flat calm and boulby potash will flood a disused mine and you get a sunami effectivethen it hits that jetty with such force that you get washed in with any piece of gear that's not tied down. It's very deceptive looking and to be honest even the locals have been caught out and washed in so to say what you have is very negligent as you nearly went in yet you still say it's OK to go on? Yeah ok :mad:

14. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Never knew that about the disused mine flooding?? I will second the going on at any stage of the tide on a big northerly like. I was caught out in my earlier days long before the sea defences on a small neap an hour into the turn. Lesson learnt the hard way. Take note and don't take the chance.

15. stiffmeister2

Yeah Ste they just collapse mines and as you will probably know they go miles out to sea and are also miles deep so when they finally blow it up it sucks the water in very quickly and it's exactly the same scenario as a tsunami and in the daylight lads who have told the stories say you end up with a huge wall of water coming towards you and there's nothing you can do but hide lol. I know it's not funny at all but you obviously fish the place Ste and when there's any sea running it looks like it's all heading towards Staithes but then all of a sudden it hits the channel and changes direction and comes straight at cowbar and Staithes jetties and it's a scary sight. I just watched the rescue that Glenn has put on and there's swell there but it's not huge and look at what it's done to that poor lad and even though the sea defence was put in place people take to many risks on there I have drove down to have a look and there's a single headlight on the end and you cringe and I flash my lights as to say get off you idiot and I wake up thinking I'm I going to see the next fatality from this coast and it's common sense to keep away from it when it's coming over the middle but people think the big stones will save us but in one word they won't!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

16. dazz_m

dazz_m Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

found some pictures on google of cowbar in rough seas

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c5/big_cod/Cowbar6Small.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q279/fudgemonkey758/IMG_6906.jpg

if it was like this I think I would leave it lol

17. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Jesus now that is scary. So,you could be on there on a big tide slight sea and if they blow a mine you could be in big trouble. I think bowsey works down boulby it would be interesting to hear what he knows about this.

18. stiffmeister2

Yes they blow the ones that no longer have any use but remember ste it's not all the time it's probably the mines that go as far down as the earth's mantle pmsl all the lads in boulby potash will know I'm sure that's how I found out after being told by locals who have been washed in the bay in the middle of the summer. I do believe if it was not for there being a bay there lots of people would have perished in there over the years I think if you do happen to go in the drink there you do have a fighting chance but and it's a big but if you keep out of that rip I think barring the west pier on a massive tide cowbar has a huge amount or tide running through there its scary. Me and lobbers were on there on each night and I dropped my rig wallet in and before we got chance it had gone we could see it but the rip got hold of it and it was gone like if you hook a fish it pulls it round so hard sometimes it's hard to lift it out of the water so imagine a human going in? I think your struggling on a big tide it will have you out and away before you know what's going on. Don't get me wrong it's one of the safest and most pleasant places to fish but it does hold hidden dangers when conditions are wrong or a disused shaft goes bang so please just watch things as we all should anywhere we fish I think it's so easy to forget about how wild the sea is and we all make silly decisions when we are fishing don't we mate

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk now Free

19. stiffmeister2

Yeah Dazz it's naughty on those photos lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk now Free

20. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Yeah..if anyone was in any doubt I think them shots should drum it home