1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

intermediate line

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by ryanfish, May 31, 2009.

1. ryanfish

ryanfish Ry Vasey

hi lads

just thought i would ask as i need some intermediate line for lockwood beck,
    what weight line would i need to get?

thanks Ryan

2. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

depends on the weight of your fly rod. If it is a 7 # fly rod, get a 7# intermediate line

3. ryanfish

ryanfish Ry Vasey

my rod is a greys grxi weight 6/7 ,9ft 6.

4. Davo

Davo Rockling

Will you be fishing from a boat Ryan? If not i wouldnt bother to be honest.

5. ryanfish

ryanfish Ry Vasey

just that with the wind and floating line is very light alot of anglers seem to use intermediate and i thought that i would need it. no i dont fish from a boat.

6. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Ryan, I have been useing the Cortland Blue intermediate 7AFTM since they have been on the market. I only carry a floating line and the blue intermediate and i fish reservoirs and rivers here in the N-east .I personally hate a full sinking line,but the cortland blue is ideal when i want to get the flie down a bit deeper.I find it is better to fish a fly with a bit of lead in the dressing or a gold bead to get your line down.PB

7. bucko

bucko New Member

It can be handy to have one when its bright like it has been lately but a weighted fly, long leader and slow retrieve should help you get down to that depth anyway.

I don't know how much you want to spend but all my sinking lines have always been 'mill ends'- which are slight seconds and usually sell for about £3:99.

With regards to the line weight- if your rod is a 6/7 weight then personally I would opt for the 6 weight line on sinking lines as they tend to cast a little quicker.