1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

interesting fact the barnacle

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Lobbers, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

did you know the barnacle, we all see stuck to our mussell, peelers backs, and just about everything else but the fish we catch, is only a visitor from australia, and has only been around our shores since the nineteen fourties, they came on the hulls of boats, and spread right around our shoreline :yes:

2. wardish89

wardish89 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

pack them all up and sent them back

3. Lobbers

why do that, they are the most abundant water filters, cleaners we have :yes:

4. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

i think mate they will probably have come in ballast water and then got pumped out as the cargos got took onboard. alot of countries are quite strict these day on changing ballast water many many miles from land before you get there. some special areas such as the orkneys actually pump your ballast water over the other side of the island via a pipeline

5. andym

andym Rockling

There are invasive species of Barnacles around the UK's coastline but certainly not all barnacles are non natives!

Agree about the balast tank bits thats how the chinese mitten crabs arrived

6. Lobbers

i think mate you will find im spot on with barnacle history, the species is called the australian barnacle, and erm originates from erm , ohh yeh australia, and was first reorded after the first big boats from oz . the ozzy barnacle can be found all over the world now, spread across the world on the hulls of boats, ive read my $hit fat line breaker

7. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

think mate you will find im spot on with barnacle history, the species is called the australian barnacle, and erm originates from erm , ohh yeh australia, and was first reorded after the first big boats from oz . the ozzy barnacle can be found all over the world now, spread across the world on the hulls of boats, ive read my $hit fat line breaker

:laugh: wondered when you'd bring that up, but it says not to cast over the harbour entrance, and its common sense really when you see a boat coming from a few miles away that its going to come into the harbour. there have plenty of threads about the dangers of casting over the entrance of the harbour.

8. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

One of my lads very narrowly nearly lost his eye with a 6 oz grip lead my lord was he lucky i have fished from the west peir since i was kid and if a boat is aproaching you wind in its extremly difficult to see from a boat any lines as you approach thats going out and coming in if you have just casted out you think i will risk it you risk blinding somebody by having a grip lead flying through the air plus if there is a big swell the last thing you want when coming towards those peirs is to look for lines .
    I know its a bit of a bugger winding and out as boats approach but boats dont intentionally catch the lines they are obstructing the boats entry in and out of the harbour.

paul.

9. andym

andym Rockling

think mate you will find im spot on with barnacle history, the species is called the australian barnacle, and erm originates from erm , ohh yeh australia, and was first reorded after the first big boats from oz

Thats probably not the species you are seeing stuck to mussels or peelers backs though Paul!

They are likely to be common acorn barnacles a native species

10. Dav

Dav Rockling

:laugh: :laugh: Barnacle Bill

11. deano72

deano72 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

we are getting very sad on here, bitchin over barnacles.
    sure there must be better things to talk about,, :sad:

12. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

Barnacles are the best thing ever invented if your a rock fisherman.

Nothing is as grippy underfoot as a rock covered in barnacles.

Give me barnacles to tungsten studded boots any day.

If someone invented fishing boots with barnacle soles then they would make a mint!

BP

13. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

Not sure about this Lobbers. Barnacles have been a problem for British (and everyone else's) ships for a hell of a lot longer than the 1940's.

14. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I happen to have a barnacle degree :educated:
    The barnacle has been around much longer.
    However, we have inherited the 4 shell plated species, which did, Infact, arrive on the hulls of boats from Australasia in the 1940,s.
    They are far more prolific at breeding than ours.

They arrived at the Tees initially, then we're transported to the drive and the brigg on lobbers arse :laugh:

Right that bit was made up but this isn't. If one of those 4 shell plated barnacles was the size of a human, it's knob would be 20m long :cool:
    What's more its Latin name is Elminius MODESTUS! Seriously :laugh: :laugh:

I knew my barnacle degree would come in handy eventually :nerd:

15. pat cottam

pat cottam Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

There are records of people being keelhauled (dragged under the keel of a ship,from side to side, or lengthways,from stem to stern) from the Tudor times. It was a form of punishment and it was the barnacles that used to shred the flesh of the recepient. Seemingly, it was only outlawed in the 1850,s.
    Think it should be reinstated personally.

Regards

Pat

16. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

it has been said your welding resembles barnacles clingimg to p[pe work :cheesy:

17. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Can some one tell me if the Scottish barnacle comunicates in a scotts accent ,
    as i have noticed the ones up the mull are a much smaller size and so only mate with a native barnacle to avoid cross breeding :suspious:

18. GJW

GJW Rockling

Wow Ray i'm impressed... :educated: :educated: I can see how easy Lobbers spread the barnacle far and wide, as he spends most of the summer swimming in the Tees for crabs, and then the rest on the Drive or Brigg end.. :happy:

Intresting facts there Raymondo... :cheesy:

19. Dav

Dav Rockling

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

20. Churchill

Churchill Double figures all the way!!!!!

They travelled over on my pet blue whale and nemo!!!????????????????