1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inshore Waters Are Clearing And The Cod Are There Straight Away

Discussion in 'All Time Best Topics' started by Baramundi Bob, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Last weekend we launched the kayaks and did a spot of fishing at Ravenscar and Kettleness. On both occasions the water was thick with algea and we never saw a fish on either occasion.

One week later and we relocated to Sandsend. Although still green the water was much improved in clarity and it soon became evident that the fish were there in good numbers.

Todays crew included myself, Mike, Dan, Damo, farron and Kev. We fish the first part of the flood tide at Sandsend and all managed many fish in the first couple of hours. after a while the tide got quite strong so we relocated to Upgang where the fishing was just as good.

Totals for the day seemed to average about 10 takable cod per man. My total was 17 takers about 15 undersize codling, a couple of pollack and several coalies. Probably over 50 fish for the day for myself alone.

The fish appeared keen on everything put in front of them with twin tails, shads and hokeyes all taking their share of fish.

Most fish averaged around the 2lb mark but a few went bigger including a couple around the 6lb mark for Kev.

All in all an excellent day and its looking good for next weekends kayak match.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cartman74

Cartman74 Guest

Who's is that big fat fish at the back??

3. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Great stuff lads well done all of you.

4. Markj

Markj Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Fantastic report Glenn,looks like you all had a great day. Is it possible to launch a small boat from that slip at Sandsend? Thanks for sharing your day with us.

Cheers

Mark.

5. Howard

Howard Blenny

Good to see the fishing getting back to normal and good to see small codlings in numbers once again.

6. WillW

WillW Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great fishing, great pics and a great report, thanks Glenn! Looks like you all had a good day :)

I especially like your hat Dan, can't beat a bit of US crime drama ;)

Will

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

7. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Well done lads, amazing the difference 24hrs can make as everyone really struggled on Saturday.

8. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Sorry I couldn't stop and say 'hi' but I could tell from the big beams on your faces you'd all had a brilliant day, and really well deserved. Lets hope it bodes well for next weekends match :happy:

9. Baramundi Bob

Farron had 10 on Saturday.

10. andym

andym Rockling

Great stuff and superb pictures it has inspired me into getting out and having a jigging session for cod in the near future

11. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

Nice one about time eh

12. Awesome session guys, with good photos

Cheers

U

13. 01kayak

01kayak Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

that's going to encourage a few to travel up for the comp
    about time the water cleared up for you lads well done jeff

14. vrs_1

vrs_1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice stamp of fish there well done lads lets hope its a sign of things to come :)

15. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

I think we all needed to see this one,really well done to all....cracking picture's and brilliant report,...let's hope there's many more to come.....again excellent stuff..doesn't come much better......mick. :cool:

16. Baramundi Bob

Thanks for all your comments guys.Just goes to show doesnt it.

One minute it looks like there isnt a fish alive in the sea and then I have my best ever days cod fishing on the kayak in terms of numbers.

Fishing is down to more than what first meets the eye, everything has to be right in terms of conditions, water colour, what the fish are feeding on etc etc.

Without all of that coming together it will always appear the sea is baron, same applies in winter.

17. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Fantastic stuff guys, good signs :yes: :yes:

18. smokey

smokey Rockling

Nice report glenn and a few fish to show for it.
    I aren't sure about up Whitby way but this little lift that has come on has turned the water like chocolate again down filey way,it was clearing nice yesterday as well.
    It was clearer about half a mile off but if anyone is thinking of venturing down this way yakking,forget it unless you want to bait fish at anchor.

19. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

It just goes to show what a difference water clarity makes. I was fishing at Skinny on Saturday and it was too murky for lures. I tried hokki's at various depths up to 35m without any luck, but as soon as I switched to bait I pulled in a pouting and a few whiting. No codling though.
    I haven't tried Sandsend so far this summer, so I'm thinking of giving it a go soon.
    There's a SSW forecast for tomorrow and I'm thinking of giving it a go between Sandsend and Whitby.
    I hope there's some of those codling still around and they can see the hokki's and shads. I've been out 5 times in the last three weeks from Saltburn and Skinny and luckily I haven't blanked so far. What do you think my chances are of catching from Sandsend tomorrow ? Is it worth an afternoon session on the incoming tide ?

20. Baramundi Bob

Same here Water is thick as guts again Martin. Hopefully sw winds and tides dropping should improve things for the weekend.