1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indulging information

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by wildcard, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildcard

wildcard Guest

I would like to see more openness. I don't see the point in putting posts in public forums which can be accessed by thousands but ultimately witholding information. It makes posters and repliers look clannish.

I fished my secret venue last night with 'you know who'
    I used ???? for bait etc etc

It just dosen't get whitby sea angling anywhere. We should gel together and share tactics, venus, baits, equipment etc. We need to bring in the next generation of anglers by encouraging them to catch fish and not witholding information.

Share all of it or don't put it in a public forum I say. Rant over.

wildcard

2. wildcard

wildcard Guest

Don't know why this was moved. It's a post about making the site better/feedback and belongs in that forum ?

wildcard

3. carpyken

carpyken New Member

I think Glenn agrees with you mate and wants your post to be seen. :wink:

4. steerser

steerser Blenny

This site is as good as it gets.
    Why should we give up info that has taken some people 20 years to suss?
    I have gps readings that have been converted from Decca, but i am not going to give them away to anyone.
    why should i?
    I will give anyone help, with bait, tackle, weather ect..in a specific area.., but i am not giving info on an open forum that has taken ME years to find.
    think about it man...

5. robq

robq Rockling

I agree wildcard :yes: more people need to post a bit more and share a bit more info

however I think we all retain some of our best hard earned info for ourselves, after all in a match situation we need to keep our edge. I dont like some of the nasty cloak and dagger stuff and downright lies to send poeple off in the wrong direction though :no: that is taking things too far

sometimes there are genuine good reasons not to post ceratin things on a public forum such as limited access and disturbance to local residents etc

I do generally agree with you though mate

Rob

6. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I agree in part...if it is posted then yes no lies or deliberate throwing as Rob says, but I also agree with Steerser in that we all post as we see fit.The forum is global and not limited to Whitby , also as mentioned in the past,commercial viewers and netting etc never good.
    I usually post reports of trips etc and always generalise with the venue,never say it is one spot if it isn't .
    I try to help out where ever I can and feel should just as others on here have helped me,not every thing I ve asked has been answered and with the hard work folk put in I understand that as well.
    I remember posting what was considered a bit too much info in the past and being told in no uncertain terms not to say too much...lol...I ve learnt since then. :wink:
    I think the forum ethos on here has about the right balance, those who put the most effort in contributing tend to also get helped along the way but there are a few who's posts are alswys just asking for their own gain and never giving anything back.

7. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

i would agree if every one agreed to share info, but they wont, so you have to hang on to your own little secrets, because of this, im sure the one after these secrets, after getting them, would do the same.

secrets become public when wittnessed by others, and one witness might know more than they should and spread the word.

obviously, the best kept secrets are were no prying eyes are mooching, and your not going to blab that type of info all over the net :surprise:

8. wildcard

wildcard Guest

The whole point of public forums is to promote our given sport. We don't do that by forming into clans. I have said before, If anyone wants gps settings of any wrecks/marks/tactics then ask and I will post in a public forum. I have sent c-map cd's in the post to people who want info on wrecks rough ground info etc for free at my own cost and will do so again. By giving new anglers success we can increase our numbers and prosper. We are a dieing breed otherwise.

wildcard

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I think Worm hit the nail on the head there. Youll get out what you put in. A lot of people on here have learnt things about fishing through the forum, myself included, your boat fishing advice as been helpful to us. Be patient and ask the right questions and you will get there in the end. As the winter season comes closer and the info shields come down then you need to play a long game :wink: :happy: :happy: The archives make for good reading and you will find lots of info there.

10. Dav

Dav Rockling

I certainly agree to helping one another to a certain extent and have also been on the recieveing end of dodgy info ., now i dont even bother asking me self , once did and didnt get no were , so from now on its one man for him self so to speak , i do know if i posted my best bass mark the very next tide no doubt it would be hammered , there is things you post and things you dont , same goes for hardcore match anglers , they wouldnt post there favourite rock mark ,and best conditions to fish it on a public forum as the next match in them conditions they wouldnt get on because others would be there no doubt .....

11. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I,ve noticed in the past that you have been very helpfull (wildcard) regarding fishing information, that is your perogative. In general I feel that this site is, in general, very forthcoming in giving and sharing information and not quite as you portray it in your post. How much info people want to share is up to the individual. I do agree with you however about some posts which are so vague it makes you wonder why they even bothered posting them. Fortunately they are far and few between.

12. IanB

IanB Blenny

I think Wildcard, robq, and Dav are on the right track personally.
    I've only been on here about 3 months and anwered many a querie from
    people who obviously dont know, and yes that is my perogative but apart
    from the serious match angler guarding his "secret" mark I see no problem.

13. GJW

GJW Rockling

I feel that the forum is more open now than when i first joined, i believe some very good anglers going out of there way to help others has had a positive effect and others have started to come round to that way of thinking, i know its not a wise move to give all your favourite marks out, but a few pointers in the right directions is all what most people are after, like most forum members i will help others as best i can, but some things i won't give away unless i am sure that it won't get out and into the wrong hands, like a secret little bait mark or a top reliable bass mark, if these found the way into the wrong hands it could be disastrous, so why should i go shout it from the roof tops, i will give this info to people but i only give this sort of infomation to people i have built up trust with and seem genuine..

14. Lobbers

but you are NOT going to blab your best kept secrets on here, thats what i'm saying :clown:

15. Baramundi Bob

If you want some real good honest info on shore fishing for cod you could do worse than reading the old posts from the likes of Lobbers, Ramrod, GJW et al. The info Lobbers gave away in his early posts is well worth a read and it was such good info that I know his own fishing suffered as a result of it when he had 20 anglers trying to beet him to a port mulgrave PIG every time there was a northerly. Somehow the big guy still managed to get them out before anyone esle except that time Dav did him in the heaviest fish match with the old crystal trick :cheesy: :cheesy:

16. Lobbers

ps

i've posted on these sites for years, cleveland sea angler forum went under because of me, and im glad i can have a little say with you lot without getting the bull i used to get on csa web site, :kiss:

17. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Or to discuss as much or as little as the individual chooses.

Being a member on quite a few other forums this is without doubt the most helpful one with some of the best anglers in the country passing on little gems of information.
    I certainly respect anyone who works hard and chooses not to share evrything they have worked hard to learn,just as I respect and acknowledge those that wish to be more open.I ve known of folk on here deliberately setting out to deceive with some of the miss-information they have posted.....I don't have anytime for those sort of posts as they just would have been better not posting rather than trying to send people the wrong way on purpose.

There was a lengthy thread on a similar line a while ago and i think the end result was the same, each to their own on how much that individual gives away.....but don't go asking if you never give anything back...you know the "where will i catch a fish?" posts that are the only type of post some have added without ever putting a report or a helpinfull bit of advice on.

18. Dav

Dav Rockling

The power of the crystals . lobbers got well crystalised that night so much so he hid me fish to try and hold me back going to the weigh in :laugh: :laugh: ......haha , good job they had been feeding on crystals that night , the bushes glowed were he stashed em ..... ...... :kiss: :kiss:

19. Lobbers

he is a bugger that davross, i'll never forget it, he got the two biggest on crystalls that night :sick:

20. Baramundi Bob

Ive always looked after the posters on here Paul and I have set the forum up in such a way that it encourages people like yourself to be helpful and post reports with pics. Also anyone who doesn't want to give away everything can just take pics without any identifying features of the mark, I usually encourage the bass anglers never to include the cliffs behind them. What happened on CSA will never be repreated here. To be honest a lot of it was based in jelousy. Anyone is welcome an opinion but the out door is always open for anyone who gets personal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.