1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illegal Fishing - Will It Ever stop ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

It just seems continuous. How are we meant to get sustainable fisheries when Commercial Fishermen just ignore the rules ?

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/gleaner-ii-david-hill-tommy-finn-illegal-fishing

2. glassback

glassback Blenny

i dont think it will ever stop glen while the gains they make
    are more than the fines they have to pay .

3. scrubbs

scrubbs Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

would those fines equate to a day/trip fishing profit?
    or is it still worthwhile getting caught occasionally?

4. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

While ever people are willing to pay "silly" prices for fish then they will always be exploited....sad fact of life....mick. :'(

5. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

Totally agree andy!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

6. Dorado

Dorado New Member

I think you are right, the penalties are not sufficient deterrent, so it is worth taking the risk. The times they get caught, compared to the number of times they get away with it.......in America (and Australia or New Zealand) the penalties are just not worth it. You lose your boat FAR A START, no argument, it is confiscated, so that is you out of business. Then the fine comes on top - so that is your house gone if you can't pay it. With penalties like that, would you actually try it on? You would need to be pretty daft.

7. Mark

Mark Blenny

Sentences just dont suit the crime. I agree in the USA, australia and new Zealand you would be financially ruined if caught and rightly so. We however live in a society where the criminal has more rights than the victims.

It's about time these do- gooders woke up and smelt the coffee. .

Cheers Mark.

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I have been talking to a few commercial fishermen on the Fishing News facebook group. Think I went down like a lead balloon.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/9101062283/

Anyhow a couple who can string more than 2 words together have suggested that they break rules often without knowing. They describe a situation where rules change from day to day, from area to area and the same rules have a great deal of ambiguity within.

What one fisheries officer may interpret as a breach, another may think its perfectly legal. The commercials say there is a lack of consistency.

Also worthy of note is they say the laws are enforced and the punishment is often way over the top. The article at the following link makes for interesting reading

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherbooker/5105730/Now-we-treat-our-fishermen-like-drug-dealers.html

9. Mike

Mike Blenny

They should have the boats "TOOK" off them ....Job Done. :)

After all they know it's wrong in the 1st place.

10. simon22

simon22 Rockling

If the law said that anyone found guilty they would have there boat taken right away then it would stop. Until then it won't. If I make say one hundred pound aday and I get a fine of a pound why would I stop doing it