1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you put traps down for Crabs, are they yours or can anyone look in them?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bigcod2, Apr 29, 2010.

1. IanB

IanB Blenny

You are dead right Bigrock, thats why I stopped match fishing years ago, its too much like "dog eat dog" scenario IMO, there is always disagreements/arguments/accusations etc, its just not worth the hassle - life is too short to be making it difficult.
    I too think its time this thread was stopped but it seems to be the only one that people are taking an interest in, still it gives the "young uns" something to argue over lol.

2. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

In my experience I disagree with this view Bigrock, most of the lads that compete in matches on this coast do it purely for the competition, any personal profit is seen in emotional terms not monetary, indeed I and from what I've seen many others see the money as secondary, and payouts are a result of being a competent angler, to compete having the best bait is number one, a certain amount of effort is therefore needed to collect it and prepare it, this is one of the many factors that separate sea angling with coarse angling, you simply can't walk into Asda and buy good bait off the shelf, however good manners and decency, as in all walks of life, should be applied in collecting bait, but there will always be a few bad apples, if I experienced any threats or abuse I would simply find somewhere else go baiting, there are after all plenty of marks

3. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

i my self am getting fed up of this thread ,all of you moaning about not having traps ,get of you r lazy a****s and go and set some ,,if you dont want to set any , go and get them from the rocks , if you can,t be a****d to do that ,go and buy some , if you cant afford them ,go and scrounge some ,if you cant be bothhered to do any of the siad idea,s just shut the hell up , OH and if you want to win a match ask someone to catch the fish for you and you can then weigh them in , and if you cant be bothered to just PUT YOURSELF OUT A BIT what are you doing moaning about your lot. RANT OVER :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

4. Bigrock

Bigrock Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I do agree that the matchmen work hard, as i have eluded to in my original post.

Its nice to hear that the ones you know are not in it for the money, but many of the ones i do are and this has led to the bad experiences i have mentioned and another poster also confirms.

I heard of one club that actually increased the entrance fee so that the payouts were higher. That seems very much like they are only in it for the money...shame. :sad:

5. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

We are all in it to win. Who wants too be an also ran? So bend your back, do some work you lazy bastards, and reap your own rewards. Dont sponge from some one elses labour. Enough said, so get on with it.
    Regards Col.

6. smokey

smokey Rockling

Theres one lad who works the other side of the river to you lads and i know for a fact he sells 95% of his crab for profit :yes:

He claims to have 2500 traps in,which i fail to believe but if what he says is true,how can one man justify having 2500 traps for collecting bait for personal use :no: :happy: tight lines

7. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Ill just clarify one point for you. Setting traps for crabs is not littering or flytipping and there is now caselaw to prove that, so despite your opinion the law now views it differently - Crab Traps Are Crab Traps. If you search the topics on here you will find the case Im talking about. As for sticking your hands inside the traps placed by others I guess it comes down to how much of a risk you are willing to take. I arent commenting on the rights or wrongs of the situation but on a dark night at the side of the Tees with a couple of angry smoggies about I know my hands wouldnt be going inside the tyres they placed there.

On a slightly different, but related note, the NESFC will be taking control of the estuaries next year and they will be resposible for bait collection in the estuaries. I would guess that the days of 2500 traps per person wil soon be numbered.

I have had a couple of complaints about this thread from various readers. If you have a complaint could you please be specific giving the post number and why you find what is being said contravenes site rules. Sadly I just dont have the time to read every single post at the current time as my pc time is limited to a couple of hours per day.

8. Baramundi Bob

How many years have I know you Paul ?? devide the anwser by 2 million and it will tell you how many traps you have set in your lifetime :kiss: :kiss:. I told you a few years ago about the pipe traps I experimented with and I had good sucess with them too. You could place 20 such traps off the back of your boat every night and have more than enough peelers for a seasons fishing without ever neading to put your waders on. Have you done it yet ?

I know dozens of ways to get peelers that no-one even uses (I found an excellent method by mistake last year, and Ive been taught a lot by other knowledgable people) and I know lots of places local to whitby where you could get loads of crabs, but for some reason people want to spend time sticking their hands in tyres set up by others rather than working off their own initiatives. Is there any wonder that friction arises. I once spoke to a lad who was keen to get the crabs out of the traps I set. When I asked him about it, he said he believed in sharing. When I asked where his traps were that he was sharing he had no answer, as he hadnt put any down). You also often get 1 lad who will lay 5 pieces of guttering on the mud and then claim he is sharing his 5 with you so he can use the hundreds you have put down.

Also one lad who I found with a bucket of crabs out of the traps I set told me he darent put his own traps down as he feared getting done for fly tipping. He was obviously happy for me to take the risk on his behalf.

In terms of collecting bait, a lot of lads, even some of the quality anglers in the local clubs are lightyears behind some of the others and it boils down to lazyness and an inability to think outside the box..

9. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

i once found 2 peelers under an old umrella in whitby harbour while i was fishing a clubmatch.

10. GJW

GJW Rockling

Peeler crabs.

You better watch it Paul, that was Glenn's umberella...haha, only jokeing! Like Glenn said there is dozen of methods of collecting peelers and is right some people get so blinkered with traps, I.M.O there is far easier ways to get a good supply, without the hassle. I am glad these day's i dont soley rely on traps for all my crab, and can spend most of the summer fishing instead.

11. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well i am off on a 200 mile roun trip at the weekend ,and i will get more creab in four hours than i can get in four weeks doing traps, :wink: it is hard work ,but if you cant be bothered you dont deserve the rewards :wounded:

12. jody

jody New Member

Are you going to give us a clue how Harry? I've only just got in to fishing in the summer, and would like a few crabs now and again if they fish as well as is told

13. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

west coast, anywhere between whithaven and port carlisle,

14. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

wrong thread :embarrass:

15. codowt

codowt Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

tyres

been reading the disscussions about tyres and what anoyes me is what dolphin put in a post about putting broken bottles in tyres .now for instance say a young ladd putts hes hand inside and i qoute ripps hes hands to bitts ide feel a bit down doing that knowing ive put glass in just to harm some one.i know people work hard putting them in and puts the grafft in checking them but come on putting glass inside is a bit low like.

16. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

:surprise: Sorry I annoyed you. Just having my say cant please all the people all the time.

17. Piscator

Piscator Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Assuming that there's nothing in law which defines 'ownership' of traps, this whole question boils down to 'community' and the extent to which people are willing to acknowledge the reciprocity between members that true communities instill. In other words, while some accept that the efforts of one member ought not be taken advantage of, there are others - who do not see themselves as part of the 'community' -whose views are very much different. Afterall, tit-for-tat arrangements only work when people feel they have something to lose.

So, anyone can look in the traps you lay but only those who feel as though they have something to lose from the censure of the community will resist doing so by acknowledging the (tacit) ownership by another community member. In turn, of course, they will expect such action to be reciprocated.

There are, I feel, further dimensions to this issue. For example: I live in Darlington. If I were to lay some tyres in the harbour, to what extent would they be respected as being 'mine' in view of the fact that I only get to Whitby every other fortnight? And how would anyone know? This is a rhetorical question - I find it easier to lift bladderwrack and stones at low tide - but serves, I hope, to ask on the one hand about the extent of the community spirit you would want the forum to foster and on the other to accept - even if you don't like the fact - that the crabs in the traps you've laid don't have your name on them.

Steve.

18. Baramundi Bob

Hi Steve, In respect of crab traps Our community spirit sadly doesnt extend as far as Darlo, infact I dont think it extends any further than the middle of the swing bridge.

19. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

Last year about this time I was flatty bashing down the gare-riverside about 7-30 one night,when a rib came into the basin and dropped a diver in.Now that's dedication I'm sure he was only checking the tyres where still in place. :whistle:

20. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

ingoe1

No mate, they dive for them now!!