1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you put traps down for Crabs, are they yours or can anyone look in them?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bigcod2, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I think that more or less sums it up Paul. You can understand the frustration of the lads who have done all the spade work only to have their traps raided. I,m no different when i go down early season to find all the rocks laid on their back and spend most of my session upturning them again for no return. I must admit to pouring a bit of fuel on the fire with my 2nd post :evil: with the rock pool theory. Then Dave had the £20 note theory, which he would retrieve instantly :laugh: :wink: Another theory is the next door neighbours apple tree dropping an apple into your garden. This is the grey area with the traps. I think most lads respect that the tyres belong to them but where they put them belongs to everyone. a bit of respect and commonsense is all thats needed. Some sort of lobbers and rubbish early warning system might save on the medical bills too :cheesy:

2. hopper

hopper Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i have known lads set tyres down south gare an actually put razor blades set in the rubber only they know were the razor blades are NOT VERY NICE LIKE EH

3. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

Well said RAMROD, I must say though I am really shocked with Hoppers comment, I cannot believe people would do that.......Disgusting!

4. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well i think this has run its course now lads,
    we all get the gist of things,

Tell you what though, i didnt know people put rocks in a certain position in rock pools and the like,
    i remember a few years back i was at kettleness, summer codding,while waiting for the ratchet to start clicking away, i went for a forage and found a small gully with about four or five rocks covering it ,
    after checking there for crabs,i thought thats strange how the tide has put thise rocks like that :confused: so raymondo, once again now i know :wink:

5. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

i'm with you on that one ray,, when i first started crabbing on the rocks i wasnt too clued up, and a local , good angler (mr woods) used to go off it with everyone for not putting the rocks back over once you have checked it for a crab, but this quickly made sense to me as every rock you turn over has a natural habitat underneath, and a rock on its back is covered with weed, which rotts without the sunlight, and nothing will go under that rock for the rest of the season, so the lesson is, turn the rock and put it back where it started once checked for a peeler, so that it is inviting for the next crab to investigate for an endoskeleton evacuation.

on the tyre front, i dug my traps in a good few years ago now, bloody hard work, but the rewards are that i scrape enough peeler to see me through the year, me and rubbish fish a lot of matches, we are all rounders who fish a lot of club matches, but also fish every open match within reason , distance etc. we have travelled up to four hours away to fish a four hour match. a constant supply of peeler is needed for this through the summer months, the last couple of years have been hard with the amount of crab at an all time low. we and all the rest of the lads are always there first tide in, i.e after neaps when you cant get at them (even the swimming crabbers), everybody is there to do their traps, as soon as the tides permit, inbetween these tides the lads (with traps), are there to get a few for matches, or for pleasure fishing up arbroath, or whatever, a number of tides nobody is there, and i will guarantee you now this is the time to move in and raid the traps, but i will also guarantee you this, you wont get much, you will probably rake your hands through a thousand tyres and get jack shoit, its just the way it is.

i must apologise to a certain indevidual who i did,nt realise who,s tyres i was in last year, the water was deep and to be honest i did'nt know where i was, and im certainly not in it for money.
    unfortunately he behaved like a propper baby, and i mean like a child over this one thing. on saying that, this indevidual has had a massive bee in his big grey bonnet for years about me and i dont know why. but that's the only problem i have with traps.

anyway put the hard work in to reap rewards (ray maddison),, and if i turn up at my traps with rubbish one night and your allready in them, i hope your religious.

6. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

just a different slant on things lads... crabs are fishing bait ..... and a lot of people put in a lot of time and preparation to get them ..... so if i were to say that i have picked all the stones out of part of a nice white rag bed to make it nice and easy digging and put some markers down around the bit i have prepared....... ( not that i would even think about it)

would that mean i have priority over these silvers ?? .. i very much doubt it.. i hear you all say..

so why is it different for crabs in tyres ??? or a bit of beach ??? both peelers and silvers are a much sought after bait....

just an awkward thought i had after reading the posts on this subject

cheers
    Paul

p.s. i hope everyone has a better crabbing season than last year..

7. rubbish

rubbish New Member

of course you can sage but as long as when you put your bucket down outside that area i can dig my hand in your unoccuppied bucket :laugh: :laugh:

8. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

9. Gazza D

Gazza D Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I personally don't like traps or people setting tyres...I think its littering , plastic pipes and tyres everywhere , As for theft i don't approach other peoples traps theres plenty of natural ways to find crab. I think the lazy people are the ones with traps..crabs can find shelter to peel without you putting traps in etc . As for theft its not your land and if you ended up coming to blows over someone taking crabs from your traps you,d be the one in trouble not the offender and give anglers a bad name....Don't want to cause a row theres two sides to every coin . You wouldn't like someone dumping tyres in your Garden....LOL...

10. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Perfect reply and says everything good one rubbish

11. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I have looked at the post put out by Paul [ lobbers ] several times and i havent really wanted to reply but i wouldnt want anybody going away
    with the wrong impression ----- you say i have a bee in my big grey bonnet , paul i dont have a big grey bonnet , i wish the thatch is very thin
    now and has been for several years , as regards having a bee in it and YOU dont know why , now paul you know that just isnt true you know
    exactly what the score is on this one , I dont tell lies anybody who has known me for any length of time im sure would second that i hold very
    strong opinions on certain things but thats all part of the package , but as i said i dont do lies , now we both cant be right so i will just leave it
    to the people who know both me and you and make there own mind up , as regards acting like a baby well once again that didnt happen, i wasnt well pleased b but i accept your apology on that, I wish to get on with all south gare crabbers and forum members and help where i can
    but what i would like is for people to be fair when it comes to peeler traps, do your own traps first , wait till the tide is a good way back before
    doing other peoples, dont do other peoples tyres on slackish tides , no body to swim through other peoples tyres if this is followed it would do alot for harmony , so to all ----- just play the game

12. Crab Nut

Crab Nut Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

13. 1LASTCAST

1LASTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

read all of this thread with interest,but im sure i heard last year a guy got fined up tyneside somewhere for placing tyres in an estury,seemed to remember he also got a hefty littering fine,i think that there are some people wouldnt mind the odd tide when the owner couldnt get down but i wouldnt be very happy if someone had snaffled mine an hour before,well the sea is a big place,tightlines to all.

14. GJW

GJW Rockling

I think we should really put this to bed now. I just hope that Alan and Paul will one day make peace, Its difficult collecting enough crab for bait, and with more and more people and more and more traps its getting so much harder especially the last few years, thats why i tend to look elsewere for my crabs and only go and do my traps if i need some fresh crabs to fish the odd match, i think a lot of the problem is caused by people spreading rumours, seems some have nothing better to do the get peoples backs up by saying things like, you wont get much today because XXX was swimming through your traps on the last tide, which most probably was not true, but if the individual then crabs his traps and gets very little, he would probably believe this person then hold a grudge against the other individual, i believe this has caused much bad feeling amongst those who crab and have traps in the mentioned area's.. I like to think i have a good relationship with others who go crabbing and respect them as i hope they would do the same for me, i have no problem with people going through my traps when i am not down and others should not expect there traps to be left if they too are not present.. I think we will never all get on and see eye to eye all of the time but i think we should all have a bit more respect for each other. Crabbing seems to bring out the worst in people and trouble makers stir things up and cause bad feeling which keeps fueling the fire.. Rant over

Happy Crabbing

Gary

15. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well siad , THE END

16. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Aye....I reckon this thread should have a big fat padlock next to it, its never going to end well.
    Ben

17. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Dont know anything about traps because I have never set them for peelers but I would of thought that people swimming to crab traps are restricting the fishing opportunity of the trap. After all the crabs will be foraging when the tide covers the trap and only go to "cover" at the latest opportunity, or am I missing something obvious here gents ?

18. Gazza D

Gazza D Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yes pal can see your point but the traps im referring to can be seen for a full 8 hrs (not tyres but plastic pipes ) set in a local estuary where i moor my boat very unsightly . That's possibly why I'm taboo against the practice...

19. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I dont think the bits of pipe are as unsightly as the engine blocks / large pieces of rusting scrap etc that protrude from the sand where
    the boat moorings are these at one time were moorings , along with lengths of heavy guage rusting chain

20. Bigrock

Bigrock Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

This post has been very interesting to read. It also sums up quite well why I am walking away from match fishing. When I started matches many years ago I naively thought it was about sportsmanship and sharing and promoting the sport. It has now turned sour for me as the current thread reads about threats of violence should one look for crabs in tyres which have been dumped on a public shore. There are talk of digging the tyres in and makng the effort and whilst I do understand this, noone owns the shore it was dumped on or the flora and fauna surrounding it.
    I see the matchmen saying that they are not in it for profit. I find that statement ridiculos. Whilst they may not be selling the fruits of their labour, and indeed work very hard to win a match, that is what they are doing - trying to win a match and therefore profit.

There are similar tones here to what I have heard in matches, biting against individuals, anglers trying to block of space in venues, breaking boundaries. It is just not sporting.

I hope the anglers with different view points can just respect one anithers opinions and collect bait or fish together in harmony.
    Tight lines